Mailing List Archive: OpenStack: Dev

Introducing PlatformLayer: Everything-as-a-service, for OpenStack

justin at fathomdb

Introducing PlatformLayer: Everything-as-a-service, for OpenStack

FathomDB has just open-sourced PlatformLayer, which makes it easy to
build anything as a service. It takes all the know-how and a lot of
the code from running FathomDB's MySQL-as-a-service offering.

You can now build your:

Memcached-as-a-service (like AWS ElastiCache)
MySQL-as-a-service (like AWS RDS)
Nginx-as-a-service (like AWS Elastic Load Balancing)
DNS-as-a-service (like AWS Route 53)
etc

This is just a starting point, but I'm hoping to present this more at
the Design Summit - I'm thinking I'll try live-coding a new service in
15 minutes (anyone have any requests? RabbitMQ-as-a-service?)

Read more: http://blog.justinsb.com/blog/2012/04/06/introducing-platformlayer/

Discussion on hacker news: http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3809221

Please contact me if you're interested in using it or helping out!

Thanks,
Justin

---

Justin Santa Barbara
Founder, FathomDB

mark.collier at rackspace

Re: Introducing PlatformLayer: Everything-as-a-service, for OpenStack [In reply to]

:-)

In a way: it is the knowledge from running an XaaS company distilled
into code, although lots of people worked on the code over the years.
Code libraries = knowledge-as-a-service.

If anyone is thinking of building something as a service, I hope
you'll grab me at the design summit and let me show you the head-start
PlatformLayer gives you; in return I'll get to see more of the areas
where it is lacking!

Justin