Mailing List Archive: OpenSSH: Users
Privilege separation user sshd does not exist woes

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

maillists0 at gmail

Mar 29, 2011, 5:50 AM

Privilege separation user sshd does not exist woes

I have a bunch of CentOS 5.x boxes where ssh will occasionally become
non-responsive with the message "fatal: Privilege separation user sshd
does not exist". But the local user does of course exist. If I login
from the console and restart sshd, it comes back just fine.

If it provides a clue, the boxes use ldap, but are correctly
configured in nsswitch to look for local users first. I was suspicious
of nscd, but it isn't running everywhere. I don't find a RHEL bug
report that describes this problem. Anyone ever seen this? Suggestions
for troubleshooting? I'm stumped. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Subject User Time
Privilege separation user sshd does not exist woes maillists0 at gmail Mar 29, 2011, 5:50 AM