Mailing List Archive: NTop: Users

ntop requeriments for high usage

NTop users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

tiago at symetric

Jun 27, 2012, 4:58 AM

ntop requeriments for high usage

Hello,
We have a link of 500Mbps+ that are being collected using fprobe for test purposes. Its going fine.

However, as expected we're having issues with ntop processing that data and I've read a lot of threads since then.

I'm wondering, what kind of hardware specs would be fine to get ntop + fprobe flow working well? Or for my scenario ntop doesn't fit it at all?

Just for information, I'm getting the epipe errors / max hash entries / web blank pages on a intel xeon server X3430+ with 1GB RAM running ntop only.

I'm using ntop 3.3 based on ubuntu.

Thanks very much.

Tiago

Burton at ntopSupport

Jun 27, 2012, 5:36 AM

Re: ntop requeriments for high usage [In reply to]

1 GB is not a lot of memory – ntop’s database is purely in-memory.

ntop is threaded, but it doesn’t scale above a modest #. Still you will see
benefits up to 3 or 4 cores – 1 per network interface ntop is monitoring, 1
or 2 for packet decoding and 1 for the web interface, dns resolution, etc.

The info page has statistics about queue sizes – as long as ntop is keeping
up with them it’s not processor.

It’s been a while, but I remember it being about 30 – 40 KB per active (non
purged) host. 8 years ago I setup a client who monitored a 25GB/day traffic
flow with – for then – a huge 8GB of memory and idle purge turned off (it
was a limited non-public network).

-----Burton

We have a link of 500Mbps+ that are being collected using fprobe for test
purposes. Its going fine.

However, as expected we're having issues with ntop processing that data and
I've read a lot of threads since then.

I'm wondering, what kind of hardware specs would be fine to get ntop +
fprobe flow working well? Or for my scenario ntop doesn't fit it at all?

Just for information, I'm getting the epipe errors / max hash entries / web
blank pages on a intel xeon server X3430+ with 1GB RAM running ntop only.

I'm using ntop 3.3 based on ubuntu.

Thanks very much.

Tiago

tiago at symetric

Jun 27, 2012, 1:49 PM

Re: ntop requeriments for high usage [In reply to]

Hello Burton,
In my case we use almost 3TB / day... and considering what you mention, I think I would need an hyper hyper hyper server =)

Maybe its time to look for other solutions?

We have a link of 500Mbps+ that are being collected using fprobe for test purposes. Its going fine.

However, as expected we're having issues with ntop processing that data and I've read a lot of threads since then.

I'm wondering, what kind of hardware specs would be fine to get ntop + fprobe flow working well? Or for my scenario ntop doesn't fit it at all?

Just for information, I'm getting the epipe errors / max hash entries / web blank pages on a intel xeon server X3430+ with 1GB RAM running ntop only.

I'm using ntop 3.3 based on ubuntu.

Thanks very much.

Tiago

Burton at ntopSupport

Jun 27, 2012, 8:11 PM

Re: ntop requeriments for high usage [In reply to]

Netflow and such drastically reduce the workload since you are dealing with
flows not individual packets.

But no tool is going to work at 3TB/s on such puny hardware - basically, you
either spend some real time for your own and $ on hardware, OR $ for an
integrator to buy and integrate a solution OR $$$ for a commercial class
solution.

Your choice J

-----Burton

In my case we use almost 3TB / day... and considering what you mention, I
think I would need an hyper hyper hyper server =)

Maybe its time to look for other solutions?

We have a link of 500Mbps+ that are being collected using fprobe for test
purposes. Its going fine.

However, as expected we're having issues with ntop processing that data and
I've read a lot of threads since then.

I'm wondering, what kind of hardware specs would be fine to get ntop +
fprobe flow working well? Or for my scenario ntop doesn't fit it at all?

Just for information, I'm getting the epipe errors / max hash entries / web
blank pages on a intel xeon server X3430+ with 1GB RAM running ntop only.

I'm using ntop 3.3 based on ubuntu.

Thanks very much.

Tiago

_____

tiago at symetric

Jun 28, 2012, 4:10 AM

Re: ntop requeriments for high usage [In reply to]

I'm using fprobe for flows. As I said my main problem is analysis and the question...:

Would it work on quadcore / 4GB RAM? 8GB RAM? Because if it work I'm willing to buy/test hardware that could run. But I need to know that will run heheh..

Thanks

In my case we use almost 3TB / day... and considering what you mention, I think I would need an hyper hyper hyper server =)

Maybe its time to look for other solutions?

We have a link of 500Mbps+ that are being collected using fprobe for test purposes. Its going fine.

However, as expected we're having issues with ntop processing that data and I've read a lot of threads since then.

I'm wondering, what kind of hardware specs would be fine to get ntop + fprobe flow working well? Or for my scenario ntop doesn't fit it at all?

Just for information, I'm getting the epipe errors / max hash entries / web blank pages on a intel xeon server X3430+ with 1GB RAM running ntop only.

I'm using ntop 3.3 based on ubuntu.

Thanks very much.

Tiago

Burton at ntopSupport

Jun 28, 2012, 5:49 AM

Re: ntop requeriments for high usage [In reply to]

I don’t think anybody can tell you – that’s what I was saying, either act as
your own integrator or pay somebody to do so. You are asking a high-end
support question on a list basically populated by other users who show up,
ask a question or two and rarely stick around to answer any more questions.
Most of whom are running on-the-cheap trying desperately to get SOME
information from within their organization to understand even a little of
what is going on.

If you want to find out whether it will work, try it. The nice thing about
nTop is that it doesn’t take long to install Linux on an OS, install nTop
and try it. If you have the hardware on your floor, it’s an hour’s
investment.

But seriously-

Luca answers some questions; he has an employee who answers some more. A
couple of the other committers will answer something that falls into an area
they know.

I was the generalist. When I closed ntopSupport.com in 2006 – in part
because nobody would pay for support for ‘free’ software and in part because
I got a real job (driven by the former), one of the other users stepped up
and took over the role of answering questions for quite a number of years.
He was one of the largest users of nTop and while not a code-monkey himself,
he was a great coordinator and passer-along of hard won knowledge. When he
lost that job, he disappeared.

I haven’t touched the code since 2006, except for a very brief period where
I was working on trying to figure out the DNS name resolution problem (so
only one tiny bit of the code) since. And I’m the best you’ve got.

Does that help to level-set?

-----Burton

In my case we use almost 3TB / day... and considering what you mention, I
think I would need an hyper hyper hyper server =)

Maybe its time to look for other solutions?

We have a link of 500Mbps+ that are being collected using fprobe for test
purposes. Its going fine.

However, as expected we're having issues with ntop processing that data and
I've read a lot of threads since then.

I'm wondering, what kind of hardware specs would be fine to get ntop +
fprobe flow working well? Or for my scenario ntop doesn't fit it at all?

Just for information, I'm getting the epipe errors / max hash entries / web
blank pages on a intel xeon server X3430+ with 1GB RAM running ntop only.

I'm using ntop 3.3 based on ubuntu.

Thanks very much.

Tiago

_____

tiago at symetric

Jun 28, 2012, 8:52 AM

Re: ntop requeriments for high usage [In reply to]

Yes, it helped :)

Thanks very much!

[...]

r.bortolameotti at gmail

Jul 16, 2012, 1:18 AM

Re: ntop requeriments for high usage [In reply to]

Hi guys,

i've had the same problem. I'm doing a project for my University so
i've no money to spend. Probably it is possible to monitor your
network not directly on your last network node, which is linked with
the Internet, but configuring ntop on several machines within your
network. On this way, you don't need expensive hardware. It's a kind
of "distributed system". I don't know yet if is possibile to set up
ntop on several different machines and use a "main machine" where ntop
can shows all data elaborated by other ntops.

R.

r.bortolameotti at gmail

Jul 16, 2012, 1:25 AM

Re: ntop requeriments for high usage [In reply to]

Oh of course another possible improvement could be a script which
restart ntop everyday (i.e. 2 am), consequently your memory is not
overloaded. (Dumping your data before reset, otherwise your data will
be lost)

--
R.