Mailing List Archive: NTop: Users

Question about saving data

NTop users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

luciano.catania at servizispeciali

Question about saving data

Hello
This email is to ask you support about saving and restoring of data
collected by ntop on my network
The problem that I submit to you, and that surely will be something stupid
is as follows:

every time I reboot or stop the daemon ntop I lose all the data recorded by
him.
I read on the internet and to avoid this I use the rrd plugin.
Once enabled rrd not see any difference in the operation of restarting ntop
and I lose everything.

Should I use something else instead of rrd?
It must load the dump of the rrd reboot?
I use other software to view rrd data?

I use Ubuntu Server 10.04 with NTOP 4.1.0

Thanks in advance.

Lucio

yuri at ntop

Re: Question about saving data [In reply to]

It depends on what you would like to store. Not all the metrics could be stored on rrd. Most of ntop data are kept in ram hence whenever you restart the process they are reinitialized.
Regards, Yuri

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Question about saving data [In reply to]

Thanks for the quick reply ..
I take this opportunity to ask you what information can I store and how i can reconsult it and (if needed) what tools I must have to do it.

Can i record everything in a mysql db?

Re: Question about saving data [In reply to]

if you restart ntop with the same config rrd database (then graphs) are available at no cost.
About mysql it is not doable.
Regards, Yuri

On 17/mag/2012, at 21:51, Luciano Catania wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply ..
> I take this opportunity to ask you what information can I store and how i can reconsult it and (if needed) what tools I must have to do it.
>
> Can i record everything in a mysql db?

Yuri Francalacci - yuri [at] ntop - http://www.ntop.org
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci