Mailing List Archive: NTop: Users

Netflow V9 Mac-Addresses & Ntop ?

NTop users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

olly.lawrence at gmail

Oct 11, 2011, 11:28 AM

Netflow V9 Mac-Addresses & Ntop ?

Hi All,

I am using Ntop (4.1) to monitor a number of routers that sit between networks of users and the internet this works just fine.

However its possible to get Cisco routers to export Mac-addresses details in there Netflow V9 exports and i can verify this by looking at the flow packets in WireShark.

But Ntop doesn't seem to display the Mac-Addresses ? Am i missing a configuration option or is this simply not supported by Ntop. This would be a nice thing for me to have as it would make it easier on the Local support teams to fine misbehaving machines.

Regards

-Olly

olly.lawrence at gmail

Oct 20, 2011, 9:32 AM

Re: Netflow V9 Mac-Addresses & Ntop ? [In reply to]

Hi All,

So no one was any idea about this ?

Perhaps I should try the Dev list ?

Cheers

-Olly

On Oct 11, 2011, at 2:28 PM, Olly Lawrence wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am using Ntop (4.1) to monitor a number of routers that sit between networks of users and the internet this works just fine.
>
> However its possible to get Cisco routers to export Mac-addresses details in there Netflow V9 exports and i can verify this by looking at the flow packets in WireShark.
>
> But Ntop doesn't seem to display the Mac-Addresses ? Am i missing a configuration option or is this simply not supported by Ntop. This would be a nice thing for me to have as it would make it easier on the Local support teams to find misbehaving machines.
>
> Regards
>
> -Olly

deri at ntop

Oct 20, 2011, 10:10 AM

Re: Netflow V9 Mac-Addresses & Ntop ? [In reply to]

Olly
ntop does not support this yet. i am recoding this support, thus we're working for you

Luca

On Oct 20, 2011, at 6:32 PM, Olly Lawrence wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> So no one was any idea about this ?
>
> Perhaps I should try the Dev list ?
>
> Cheers
>
> -Olly
>
> On Oct 11, 2011, at 2:28 PM, Olly Lawrence wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am using Ntop (4.1) to monitor a number of routers that sit between networks of users and the internet this works just fine.
>>
>> However its possible to get Cisco routers to export Mac-addresses details in there Netflow V9 exports and i can verify this by looking at the flow packets in WireShark.
>>
>> But Ntop doesn't seem to display the Mac-Addresses ? Am i missing a configuration option or is this simply not supported by Ntop. This would be a nice thing for me to have as it would make it easier on the Local support teams to find misbehaving machines.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> -Olly

---
Bildung ist kein Verbrechen

deri at ntop

Nov 15, 2011, 9:18 AM

Re: Netflow V9 Mac-Addresses & Ntop ? [In reply to]

Olly
I am adding L2 visibility in ntop post 4.1 (see code in SVN). Mac address support is already present, Mac address via NetFlow ill be added soon

Luca

On Oct 11, 2011, at 8:28 PM, Olly Lawrence wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am using Ntop (4.1) to monitor a number of routers that sit between networks of users and the internet this works just fine.
>
> However its possible to get Cisco routers to export Mac-addresses details in there Netflow V9 exports and i can verify this by looking at the flow packets in WireShark.
>
> But Ntop doesn't seem to display the Mac-Addresses ? Am i missing a configuration option or is this simply not supported by Ntop. This would be a nice thing for me to have as it would make it easier on the Local support teams to fine misbehaving machines.
>
> Regards
>
> -Olly

deri at ntop

Nov 15, 2011, 9:18 AM

Re: Netflow V9 Mac-Addresses & Ntop ? [In reply to]

Olly
I am adding L2 visibility in ntop post 4.1 (see code in SVN). Mac address support is already present, Mac address via NetFlow ill be added soon

Luca

On Oct 11, 2011, at 8:28 PM, Olly Lawrence wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am using Ntop (4.1) to monitor a number of routers that sit between networks of users and the internet this works just fine.
>
> However its possible to get Cisco routers to export Mac-addresses details in there Netflow V9 exports and i can verify this by looking at the flow packets in WireShark.
>
> But Ntop doesn't seem to display the Mac-Addresses ? Am i missing a configuration option or is this simply not supported by Ntop. This would be a nice thing for me to have as it would make it easier on the Local support teams to fine misbehaving machines.
>
> Regards
>
> -Olly

olly.lawrence at gmail

Nov 15, 2011, 9:26 AM

Re: Netflow V9 Mac-Addresses & Ntop ? [In reply to]

Hi Luca,

Thanks for the update, very kind of you.

Regards

-Olly

On Nov 15, 2011, at 12:18 PM, Luca Deri wrote:

> Olly
> I am adding L2 visibility in ntop post 4.1 (see code in SVN). Mac address support is already present, Mac address via NetFlow ill be added soon
>
> Luca
>
> On Oct 11, 2011, at 8:28 PM, Olly Lawrence wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am using Ntop (4.1) to monitor a number of routers that sit between networks of users and the internet this works just fine.
>>
>> However its possible to get Cisco routers to export Mac-addresses details in there Netflow V9 exports and i can verify this by looking at the flow packets in WireShark.
>>
>> But Ntop doesn't seem to display the Mac-Addresses ? Am i missing a configuration option or is this simply not supported by Ntop. This would be a nice thing for me to have as it would make it easier on the Local support teams to fine misbehaving machines.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> -Olly

Olly Lawrence

US +1 347 460 6559
Skype: olly.lawrence
Twitter: ollylawrence

deri at ntop

Nov 19, 2011, 8:41 AM

Re: Netflow V9 Mac-Addresses & Ntop ? [In reply to]

Olly
I have implemented what you requested in the ntop code in SVN: please update

Luca

On Nov 15, 2011, at 6:26 PM, Olly Lawrence wrote:

> Hi Luca,
>
> Thanks for the update, very kind of you.
>
> Regards
>
> -Olly
>
> On Nov 15, 2011, at 12:18 PM, Luca Deri wrote:
>
>> Olly
>> I am adding L2 visibility in ntop post 4.1 (see code in SVN). Mac address support is already present, Mac address via NetFlow ill be added soon
>>
>> Luca
>>
>> On Oct 11, 2011, at 8:28 PM, Olly Lawrence wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I am using Ntop (4.1) to monitor a number of routers that sit between networks of users and the internet this works just fine.
>>>
>>> However its possible to get Cisco routers to export Mac-addresses details in there Netflow V9 exports and i can verify this by looking at the flow packets in WireShark.
>>>
>>> But Ntop doesn't seem to display the Mac-Addresses ? Am i missing a configuration option or is this simply not supported by Ntop. This would be a nice thing for me to have as it would make it easier on the Local support teams to fine misbehaving machines.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> -Olly

> Olly Lawrence
>
> US +1 347 460 6559
> Skype: olly.lawrence
> Twitter: ollylawrence

---
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein