Mailing List Archive: NTop: Misc

Link Aggregation Module

NTop misc RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

sjames at btisystems

Jul 31, 2012, 5:47 AM

Link Aggregation Module

Hi

I've been using pf_ring on single interfaces without any problem for a while, but I would like to experiment with the "multi" module to capture packets from multiple interfaces.
The user guide says "these components are compiled inside the library according to the supports detected by the configure script".

How do I know whether the link aggregation module has been compiled and, if it has not, what does it depend on?

Please excuse me if I have missed something obvious.

Regards

Simon

deri at ntop

Jul 31, 2012, 7:08 AM

Re: Link Aggregation Module [In reply to]

Simon,
all you need to do is -i <interfaces>. Example -i eth0,eth1 or use specific apps such as pfcount_bundle

Regards Luca

On Jul 31, 2012, at 2:47 PM, Simon James <sjames [at] btisystems> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I’ve been using pf_ring on single interfaces without any problem for a while, but I would like to experiment with the “multi” module to capture packets from multiple interfaces.
> The user guide says “these components are compiled inside the library according to the supports detected by the configure script”.
>
> How do I know whether the link aggregation module has been compiled and, if it has not, what does it depend on?
>
> Please excuse me if I have missed something obvious.
>
> Regards
>
> Simon

sjames at btisystems

Jul 31, 2012, 7:52 AM

Re: Link Aggregation Module [In reply to]

Luca

Thanks for the quick response!
Just to clarify, I was looking to do something like:

pfring_open("multi:eth2;eth3", ...);

But it is failing with "Invalid argument".

Should it be possible to do this?

Regards

Simon

all you need to do is -i <interfaces>. Example -i eth0,eth1 or use specific apps such as pfcount_bundle

Regards Luca

I've been using pf_ring on single interfaces without any problem for a while, but I would like to experiment with the "multi" module to capture packets from multiple interfaces.
The user guide says "these components are compiled inside the library according to the supports detected by the configure script".

How do I know whether the link aggregation module has been compiled and, if it has not, what does it depend on?

Please excuse me if I have missed something obvious.

Regards

Simon

sjames at btisystems

Aug 1, 2012, 3:04 AM

Re: Link Aggregation Module [In reply to]

Hi

To follow this up, I've looked inside the code and there is no explicit "multi" module listed in pfring_module_list (pfring.c).
But it does accept pfring_open("eth2,eth3", ...), so I am guessing the multi module is there by default and "multi:" does not need to be prepended to the device interface name(s).

Please let me know if that is NOT the case.

Thanks and regards

Simon

[...]

cardigliano at ntop

Aug 1, 2012, 11:20 AM

Re: Link Aggregation Module [In reply to]

Simon
the multi module has been replaced by the kernel support for multiple interfaces, so there is no need to prepend "multi:" to the device list.

Alfredo

On Aug 1, 2012, at 12:04 PM, Simon James <sjames [at] btisystems> wrote:

> Hi
>
> To follow this up, I’ve looked inside the code and there is no explicit “multi” module listed in pfring_module_list (pfring.c).
> But it does accept pfring_open(“eth2,eth3”, ...), so I am guessing the multi module is there by default and “multi:” does not need to be prepended to the device interface name(s).
>
> Please let me know if that is NOT the case.
>
> Thanks and regards
>
> Simon
>

> On 31/07/2012 15:52, "Simon James" <sjames [at] btisystems> wrote:
>
> Luca
>
> Thanks for the quick response!
> Just to clarify, I was looking to do something like:
>
> pfring_open(“multi:eth2;eth3”, ...);
>
> But it is failing with “Invalid argument”.
>
> Should it be possible to do this?
>
> Regards
>
> Simon
>

> On 31/07/2012 15:08, "Luca Deri" <deri [at] ntop> wrote:
>
> Simon,
> all you need to do is -i <interfaces>. Example -i eth0,eth1 or use specific apps such as pfcount_bundle
>
> Regards Luca
>
> On Jul 31, 2012, at 2:47 PM, Simon James <sjames [at] btisystems> wrote:
>
> Link Aggregation Module
> Hi
>
> I’ve been using pf_ring on single interfaces without any problem for a while, but I would like to experiment with the “multi” module to capture packets from multiple interfaces.
> The user guide says “these components are compiled inside the library according to the supports detected by the configure script”.
>
> How do I know whether the link aggregation module has been compiled and, if it has not, what does it depend on?
>
> Please excuse me if I have missed something obvious.
>
> Regards
>
> Simon

sjames at btisystems

Aug 1, 2012, 11:27 AM