Mailing List Archive: NTop: Misc

Group TCP flow into single ring

NTop misc RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

testingpfring at yahoo

Feb 23, 2011, 12:22 AM

Group TCP flow into single ring

Hi all,
System environmentpf_ring 4.6.0igb 2.3.4 TNAPI driverIntel 82576 NIC enable RSS with 2 rx queues, each rx queue binds to a ring process by a a CPU core.
For a traffic monitoring application,in a single TCP session, how can I ensure that the traffics from
A:x -> B:y      and     B:y -> A:x (A, B = ip address, x, y = port)
save into the same ring such that they can be processed by the same thread? In my experiment, NIC identified these as two different TCP flows and put into different rings.
In an other topic "[Ntop-mise] Problem about the TNAPI multi-channel" Luca suggested that 82599 NIC with Intel Ethernet Flow Director could solve the problem but is there any way to solve it using 82576?
Regards,Sam

deri at ntop

Feb 23, 2011, 12:57 AM

Re: Group TCP flow into single ring [In reply to]

Sam
in the 576 card RSS is the king, thus we cannot do much about it. It;s an hardware issue. I expect that at some point 1G cards will also feature something like the flow director but as of today they do not

Luca