Mailing List Archive: NTop: Misc

Missing 'dot' tool (expected /usr/local/bin/dot)

NTop misc RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

ocram at teleest

Missing 'dot' tool (expected /usr/local/bin/dot)

Hi,

in my nbox when i try to visualize local network traffic map i
receive this error:

Missing 'dot' tool (expected /usr/local/bin/dot). Please set its path
(key dot.path) here

Anybody can help me?

TIA
Marco

Greg.King at lmit

RE: Missing 'dot' tool (expected /usr/local/bin/dot) [In reply to]

Donwload the graphviz sources and compile them. The only problem I had
was when I first compiled graphviz I set --prefix=/opt and ntop
complained and sent me to the configuration window to change the path to
'dot'. Problem was the configuration window did not have a place to set
the path to dot. In the end it was simply faster to make uninstall
graphviz, reconfigure with prefix=/usr/local and be done.

-Greg

ocram at teleest

Re: Missing 'dot' tool (expected /usr/local/bin/dot) [In reply to]

Thanks Grag for your answer; now i haw dot installed and another problem
to resolve :-(

Command was:

/usr/local/bin/dot -Tpng -Goverlap=false /var/log/ntop/ntop.dot -o /var/log/ntop/network_map.png 2>&1

Results were:

Could not find/open font : Helvetica in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType:/us

Regards,
Marco

King, John (Greg) (LMIT-HOU) wrote:
> Donwload the graphviz sources and compile them. The only problem I had
> was when I first compiled graphviz I set --prefix=/opt and ntop
> complained and sent me to the configuration window to change the path to
> 'dot'. Problem was the configuration window did not have a place to set
> the path to dot. In the end it was simply faster to make uninstall
> graphviz, reconfigure with prefix=/usr/local and be done.
>
> -Greg

Greg.King at lmit

RE: Missing 'dot' tool (expected /usr/local/bin/dot) [In reply to]

Ah yeah I saw that one before. Did you download an rpm for it? Or did
you compile from source? The only reason I ask is that I initially built
the boxes with a minimal config and ran into this. Googling turned up
info that I needed xorg and other rpm's that contained the font info
also googling returned posts about using the DAG rpm could do this (I do
not know though about the DAG rpm as I did not use it, only saw a post
about it). I ended up installing the test box (centos 4.3) with X and
Gnome + Dev packages then set the default run state to 3 in /etc.

It compiled without that error afterwards so when I get time I plan on
checking the system to see what rpm's are needed for that font. I just
do not have the time currently with 4 other projects eating up time.

-greg