Mailing List Archive: nsp: juniper

what is differnet between bridge and ethernet-switching ?

nsp juniper RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

bruno.juniper at gmail

Aug 13, 2012, 1:01 AM

what is differnet between bridge and ethernet-switching ?

what is differnet between bridge and ethernet-switching ? i am always confused . as i know ,when i configure mx ,we use bridge . when i configure ex ,we use ethernet-switching.

root [at] tes# set interfaces fe-0/0/0 unit 0 family ?
Possible completions:
+ apply-groups Groups from which to inherit configuration data
+ apply-groups-except Don't inherit configuration data from these groups
> bridge Layer-2 bridging parameters
> ccc Circuit cross-connect parameters
> ethernet-switching Ethernet switching parameters
> inet IPv4 parameters
> inet6 IPv6 protocol parameters
> iso OSI ISO protocol parameters
> mlfr-end-to-end Multilink Frame Relay end-to-end protocol parameters
> mlfr-uni-nni Multilink Frame Relay UNI NNI protoc

sfouant at shortestpathfirst

Aug 13, 2012, 6:00 AM

Re: what is differnet between bridge and ethernet-switching ? [In reply to]

There is no difference between the two.

what is differnet between bridge and ethernet-switching ? i am always confused . as i know ,when i configure mx ,we use bridge . when i configure ex ,we use ethernet-switching.

root [at] tes# set interfaces fe-0/0/0 unit 0 family ?
Possible completions:
+ apply-groups Groups from which to inherit configuration data
+ apply-groups-except Don't inherit configuration data from these groups
> bridge Layer-2 bridging parameters
> ccc Circuit cross-connect parameters
> ethernet-switching Ethernet switching parameters
> inet IPv4 parameters
> inet6 IPv6 protocol parameters
> iso OSI ISO protocol parameters
> mlfr-end-to-end Multilink Frame Relay end-to-end protocol parameters
> mlfr-uni-nni Multilink Frame Relay UNI NNI protoc

jstuxuhu0816 at gmail

Aug 13, 2012, 8:44 AM

Re: what is differnet between bridge and ethernet-switching ? [In reply to]

Bridge is using in router, Ethernet-switching is called in switched.

Thanks and regards,
Xu Hu

On 13 Aug, 2012, at 21:00, "Stefan Fouant" <sfouant [at] shortestpathfirst> wrote:

> There is no difference between the two.
>
> Sent from my HTC on the Now Network from Sprint!

Aug 14, 2012, 10:38 PM

Re: what is differnet between bridge and ethernet-switching ? [In reply to]

Sound like a good news, let's wait for juniper rocking.

2012/8/15 Mike Devlin <mikecdevlin [at] gmail>

> Juniper is moving to a single standard in future release to remove this
> confusion (from what i have been told)
>
> It will be bridge across all platforms.
>

> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Xu Hu <jstuxuhu0816 [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> Bridge is using in router, Ethernet-switching is called in switched.
>>
>> Thanks and regards,
>> Xu Hu
>>
>> On 13 Aug, 2012, at 21:00, "Stefan Fouant" <sfouant [at] shortestpathfirst>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > There is no difference between the two.
>> >
>> > Sent from my HTC on the Now Network from Sprint!

malik.atif.saleem at gmail

Aug 14, 2012, 11:21 PM

Re: what is differnet between bridge and ethernet-switching ? [In reply to]

Well using the one word for both of them as bridging sounds good as it
actually is using "bridging protocol" for learn, forwarding, flooding,
filtering, and aging which is what is being done in case of
"ethernet-switching" too. Whether bridging Interfaces or Vlans :).

Atif Saleem

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Xu Hu <jstuxuhu0816 [at] gmail> wrote:
> Sound like a good news, let's wait for juniper rocking.
>
> 2012/8/15 Mike Devlin <mikecdevlin [at] gmail>
>
>> Juniper is moving to a single standard in future release to remove this
>> confusion (from what i have been told)
>>
>> It will be bridge across all platforms.
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Xu Hu <jstuxuhu0816 [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>>> Bridge is using in router, Ethernet-switching is called in switched.
>>>
>>> Thanks and regards,
>>> Xu Hu

Atif

bdale at comlinx

Aug 15, 2012, 2:16 AM

Re: what is differnet between bridge and ethernet-switching ? [In reply to]

...Until You jump on an SRX branch where you use both for completely different things (eg: transparent mode) ; )

My (albeit limited) understanding is that bridging interfaces/bridge-domains aren't bound to a specific ingress VLAN tag, allowing you to bring diverse tagged interfaces together into the one broadcast domain easily, whereas ethernet-switching interfaces/VLANs strictly enforce a single ingress tag to a domain.