Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: nsp: juniper

How to insert "/*" comment in config from CLI ?

 

 

nsp juniper RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


babydr at baby-dragons

Oct 18, 2002, 6:06 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1053 views)
Permalink
How to insert "/*" comment in config from CLI ?

Hello All , JunOS V5.5(don't know about earlier), The config is
quite capable of allowing the C/C++ comments , ie: /* , // .
How does one insert/edit/... a "/*" wtyle comment from the CLI ?
Tia , JimL

+------------------------------------------------------------------+
| James W. Laferriere | System Techniques | Give me VMS |
| Network Engineer | P.O. Box 854 | Give me Linux |
| babydr [at] baby-dragons | Coudersport PA 16915 | only on AXP |
+------------------------------------------------------------------+


jesper at skriver

Oct 18, 2002, 6:59 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1043 views)
Permalink
How to insert "/*" comment in config from CLI ? [In reply to]

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 10:06:15AM -0400, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
>
> Hello All , JunOS V5.5(don't know about earlier), The config is
> quite capable of allowing the C/C++ comments , ie: /* , // .
> How does one insert/edit/... a "/*" wtyle comment from the CLI ?

annotate

/Jesper

--
Jesper Skriver, jesper(at)skriver(dot)dk - CCIE #5456
Senior network engineer @ AS3292, TDC Tele Danmark

One Unix to rule them all, One Resolver to find them,
One IP to bring them all and in the zone to bind them.


dek at hades

Oct 20, 2002, 4:19 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1024 views)
Permalink
How to insert "/*" comment in config from CLI ? [In reply to]

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 04:59:33PM +0200, Jesper Skriver wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 10:06:15AM -0400, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
> >
> > Hello All , JunOS V5.5(don't know about earlier), The config is
> > quite capable of allowing the C/C++ comments , ie: /* , // .
> > How does one insert/edit/... a "/*" wtyle comment from the CLI ?
>
> annotate
---end quoted text---

..or, as it was pointed out, like so:

run start shell
su -
vi /config/juniper.conf
^D
^D
rollback
commit

"annotate" is notoriously annoying when one needs to comment on many things
at once, because it requires to descend into parent config level to comment
on a child element.

;)

SY,
--
CCNP, CCDP (R&S) Dmitri E. Kalintsev
CDPlayer [at] ir Network Architect @ connect.com.au
dek @ connect.com.au phone: +61 3 8687 5954 fax: 8414 3115
http://-UNAVAIL- UIN:7150410 cell: +61 414 821 382


jared at puck

Oct 20, 2002, 7:40 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1036 views)
Permalink
How to insert "/*" comment in config from CLI ? [In reply to]

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 02:19:32AM +0200, Dmitri Kalintsev wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 04:59:33PM +0200, Jesper Skriver wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 10:06:15AM -0400, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello All , JunOS V5.5(don't know about earlier), The config is
> > > quite capable of allowing the C/C++ comments , ie: /* , // .
> > > How does one insert/edit/... a "/*" wtyle comment from the CLI ?
> >
> > annotate
> ---end quoted text---
>
> ..or, as it was pointed out, like so:
>
> run start shell
> su -
> vi /config/juniper.conf
> ^D
> ^D
> rollback
> commit
>
> "annotate" is notoriously annoying when one needs to comment on many things
> at once, because it requires to descend into parent config level to comment
> on a child element.

Obviously the above could be quite dangerous should
there be multiple people doing said commands or even
someone doing a interactive configuration change and the above.

If comments are important in your configuration I would
suggest storing them on a central configuration server. Possibly
the same one that you run rancid on. You can easily create
a configuration file on your tftp/rcp/whatnot server and then
do a configure;load override;commit or even a 'load merge' of the
appropriate section of your configuraiton with the requisite
comments in it. (assuming it's new and doesn't cause any
conflicts, etc..)

- jared


ps: if you don't already, you should backup your configs w/ rancid
http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/


--
Jared Mauch | pgp key available via finger from jared [at] puck
clue++; | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/ My statements are only mine.


dek at hades

Oct 21, 2002, 9:05 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1033 views)
Permalink
How to insert "/*" comment in config from CLI ? [In reply to]

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 11:40:38PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
>
> Obviously the above could be quite dangerous should
> there be multiple people doing said commands or even
> someone doing a interactive configuration change and the above.

Umm, of course it is. By the way, would "configure exclusive" before
starting shell session help? :)

> ps: if you don't already, you should backup your configs w/ rancid
> http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/

We do. :)

SY,
--
CCNP, CCDP (R&S) Dmitri E. Kalintsev
CDPlayer [at] ir Network Architect @ connect.com.au
dek @ connect.com.au phone: +61 3 8687 5954 fax: 8414 3115
http://-UNAVAIL- UIN:7150410 cell: +61 414 821 382

nsp juniper RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.