Mailing List Archive: nsp: juniper

DOM: SNMP polling of RX power for 1 GE SFP impossible?

nsp juniper RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

Emmanuel.Halbwachs at obspm

DOM: SNMP polling of RX power for 1 GE SFP impossible?

Hello,

I would like to monitor with Nagios and graph the power received by
the optical transceivers (MX240 + DPCE-R, MX80).

My understanding of the situation is:

- digital optic monitoring is available on both 1 GE SFP and 10 GE XFP
transceivers

- the CLI command
show interfaces diagnostics optics ge-1/0/0 | match Receiver
works for both 1 and 10 GE

- starting with 10.4, the DOM MIB [1] is *only* for 10 GE XFP

So there is no way to poll by SNMP the power for 1 G SFP. Strange.

And one have to handcraft a little shell script to ssh the CLI command
above to get the value.

Am I wrong? I hope yes.

Refs:

[1] http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.4/topics/reference/mibs/mib-jnx-dom.txt

Emmanuel Halbwachs Observatoire de Paris
Resp. Réseau/Sécurité 5 Place Jules Janssen
tel : +33 1 45 07 75 54 F 92195 MEUDON CEDEX
véhicules : 11 av. Marcellin Berthelot

sthaug at nethelp

Re: DOM: SNMP polling of RX power for 1 GE SFP impossible? [In reply to]

> I would like to monitor with Nagios and graph the power received by
> the optical transceivers (MX240 + DPCE-R, MX80).
>
> My understanding of the situation is:
>
> - digital optic monitoring is available on both 1 GE SFP and 10 GE XFP
> transceivers
>
> - the CLI command
> show interfaces diagnostics optics ge-1/0/0 | match Receiver
> works for both 1 and 10 GE
>
> - starting with 10.4, the DOM MIB [1] is *only* for 10 GE XFP
>
> So there is no way to poll by SNMP the power for 1 G SFP. Strange.

Yes, this is a significant omission, and you're certainly not the only
one to notice it. If enough people ask about it, maybe Juniper will do
something...

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug [at] nethelp

saku at ytti

Re: DOM: SNMP polling of RX power for 1 GE SFP impossible? [In reply to]

On (2012-04-12 10:20 +0200), sthaug [at] nethelp wrote:

> > So there is no way to poll by SNMP the power for 1 G SFP. Strange.
>
> Yes, this is a significant omission, and you're certainly not the only
> one to notice it. If enough people ask about it, maybe Juniper will do
> something...

And when we do get them, next problem is, we don't know programmatically
what values to expect. As JNPR lacks 'entity mib' you can't ask it via SNMP
what type of optic it is, to determine what TX/RX/power etc are expected
for this optic.

--
++ytti

Emmanuel.Halbwachs at obspm

Re: DOM: SNMP polling of RX power for 1 GE SFP impossible? [In reply to]

Saku Ytti a écrit (Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:41:06AM +0300) :
> > If enough people ask about it, maybe Juniper will do something...
>
> And when we do get them, next problem is, we don't know programmatically
> what values to expect.

OK, so let's shout high and loud:

Juniper fellows subscribed to this list, please bring us useful,
complete and sane SNMP MIBs. We badly need it! Thank you very
much.

:-)

--
Emmanuel Halbwachs Observatoire de Paris
Resp. Réseau/Sécurité 5 Place Jules Janssen
tel : +33 1 45 07 75 54 F 92195 MEUDON CEDEX
véhicules : 11 av. Marcellin Berthelot

per.granath at gcc

Re: DOM: SNMP polling of RX power for 1 GE SFP impossible? [In reply to]

It should be possible to get the values via an op-script ...
Not sure if that can also populate MIB values.

> > > So there is no way to poll by SNMP the power for 1 G SFP. Strange.
> >
> > Yes, this is a significant omission, and you're certainly not the only
> > one to notice it. If enough people ask about it, maybe Juniper will do
> > something...
>
> And when we do get them, next problem is, we don't know
> programmatically what values to expect. As JNPR lacks 'entity mib' you can't
> ask it via SNMP what type of optic it is, to determine what TX/RX/power etc
> are expected for this optic.

saku at ytti

Re: DOM: SNMP polling of RX power for 1 GE SFP impossible? [In reply to]

On (2012-04-12 11:12 +0200), Emmanuel Halbwachs wrote:

> Juniper fellows subscribed to this list, please bring us useful,
> complete and sane SNMP MIBs. We badly need it! Thank you very
> much.

And maybe basic trap support, like ISIS up/down, BGP max-prefix, BGP trap
which reports previous state (so you don't need to keep track of states).

(Don't give me event script and tell me it's CAEK).
--
++ytti

jof at thejof

Re: DOM: SNMP polling of RX power for 1 GE SFP impossible? [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 2:28 AM, Saku Ytti <saku [at] ytti> wrote:
> On (2012-04-12 11:12 +0200), Emmanuel Halbwachs wrote:
>
>>     Juniper fellows subscribed to this list, please bring us useful,
>>     complete and sane SNMP MIBs. We badly need it! Thank you very
>>     much.
>
> And maybe basic trap support, like ISIS up/down, BGP max-prefix, BGP trap
> which reports previous state (so you don't need to keep track of states).

Nor poll too often.

Since 10.x, I get the sense that Juniper has been chasing so many
other bugs that good SNMP support has slipped somewhat.
It's probably a lot of extra work, especially for things that mutate state.
I can imagine it involving managing MIB contents and naming, finding
every place in which a hook or function needs to be defined to support
representing things into SNMP-compatible types.

What if I do a write to shut an interface? Should a whole commit happen?

It's too bad that netconf and op scripts are so hard to use (and
utilize relatively-obscure XML-based languages). They hold the full
power to read and manipulate states of just about everything in JunOS.
However, I think this can sometimes be too big of a hammer.

When you just want to pull out some counter data, routing protocol
states, route next-hops, etc., who wants to have to haul out XML and
XML-centric editing tools? The netconf Perl library seems like a step
in the right direction, but seems like just a thinly veiled
higher-layer API to build XML documents.

I'll cherish the day when I can just curl
http://r00ter/protocols/bgp/neighbors.json?key=d756d378f8e7bf506bf1c7d3aac2f8d480c84776

michael.hare at doit

Re: DOM: SNMP polling of RX power for 1 GE SFP impossible? [In reply to]

We use an event script that converts parts of 'show interface
diagnostics optics' and stuffs values into a MIB that is pollable.

The SLAX was given to us by Juniper several years ago after we whined a
lot [ and didn't invest the effort to learn SLAX ]. It may not do
everything -you- want, but might be useful as a start point. We've used
it successfully for 1/10g 'stuff' for several years. I can't imagine
they'd be upset with us sharing it.

-Michael

On 4/12/2012 4:13 AM, Per Granath wrote:
> It should be possible to get the values via an op-script ...
> Not sure if that can also populate MIB values.

>>> Yes, this is a significant omission, and you're certainly not the only
>>> one to notice it. If enough people ask about it, maybe Juniper will do
>>> something...
>>
>> And when we do get them, next problem is, we don't know
>> programmatically what values to expect. As JNPR lacks 'entity mib' you can't
>> ask it via SNMP what type of optic it is, to determine what TX/RX/power etc
>> are expected for this optic.

saku at ytti

Re: DOM: SNMP polling of RX power for 1 GE SFP impossible? [In reply to]

On (2012-04-12 12:28 +0300), Saku Ytti wrote:

> And maybe basic trap support, like ISIS up/down, BGP max-prefix, BGP trap
> (Don't give me event script and tell me it's CAEK).

11.4R2 at least appears to have proper ISIS traps now. (10.4R6 does not).

--
++ytti