Mailing List Archive: nsp: juniper

10.4R9 on MX stable?

nsp juniper RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

paul at paulstewart

Feb 17, 2012, 8:18 AM

10.4R9 on MX stable?

Hey there.

We need to upgrade from our 10.0R3.10 releases on MX platform. Up until a
month ago we were ready to roll to recommended release 10.4R8 and well, we
know that wasn't exactly a perfect solution ;)

Has anyone got 10.4R9 running on MX platform in production yet? I'm looking
for any feedback as JTAC is recommending we go to this release.

Thanks,

Paul

ObrienH at missouri

Feb 17, 2012, 8:25 AM

Re: 10.4R9 on MX stable? [In reply to]

I'm running 10.4R7.5 for now. I haven't even loaded R9 yet.

On Feb 17, 2012, at 10:18 AM, Paul Stewart wrote:

> Hey there.
>

> We need to upgrade from our 10.0R3.10 releases on MX platform. Up until a
> month ago we were ready to roll to recommended release 10.4R8 and well, we
> know that wasn't exactly a perfect solution ;)
>

> Has anyone got 10.4R9 running on MX platform in production yet? I'm looking
> for any feedback as JTAC is recommending we go to this release.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Paul

paul at paulstewart

Feb 17, 2012, 8:27 AM

Re: 10.4R9 on MX stable? [In reply to]

Thanks..

We're also ok with going to an 11.x release if there's a such thing as a
"golden release" in the 11.x code...;)

Paul

I'm running 10.4R7.5 for now. I haven't even loaded R9 yet.

On Feb 17, 2012, at 10:18 AM, Paul Stewart wrote:

> Hey there.
>

> We need to upgrade from our 10.0R3.10 releases on MX platform. Up
> until a month ago we were ready to roll to recommended release 10.4R8
> and well, we know that wasn't exactly a perfect solution ;)
>

> Has anyone got 10.4R9 running on MX platform in production yet? I'm
> looking for any feedback as JTAC is recommending we go to this release.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Paul

daniel at shunoshu

Feb 17, 2012, 8:36 AM

Re: 10.4R9 on MX stable? [In reply to]

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 17:18, Paul Stewart <paul [at] paulstewart> wrote:
> Has anyone got 10.4R9 running on MX platform in production yet? I'm looking
> for any feedback as JTAC is recommending we go to this release.

hopefully I can share some results on Tuesday...looks fine in the lab
so far, but then again, so did 10.4R8 :P

10.4R8 contained many fixes we were waiting for, so 10.4R7 was a no-go for us.

*keeps fingers crossed*

--Daniel.

amos at oasis-tech

Feb 17, 2012, 10:01 AM

Re: 10.4R9 on MX stable? [In reply to]

Hi,

It seems there is a common agreement that 10.4R8 is not the release to Ho with.
Now I feel left out of the party, as I have no idea what you folks are talking about.

I am also feeling a little nervous, as we are in the staging phase of a 12 router network and they are all running 10.4R8.

Amos

Sent from my iPhone

We need to upgrade from our 10.0R3.10 releases on MX platform. Up until a
month ago we were ready to roll to recommended release 10.4R8 and well, we
know that wasn't exactly a perfect solution ;)

Has anyone got 10.4R9 running on MX platform in production yet? I'm looking
for any feedback as JTAC is recommending we go to this release.

Thanks,

Paul

sergevautour at yahoo

Feb 17, 2012, 10:21 AM

Re: 10.4R9 on MX stable? [In reply to]

We've had it loaded in the lab for a week now. Nothing seems broken yet. We're still testing.

Serge

________________________________
We need to upgrade from our 10.0R3.10 releases on MX platform. Up until a
month ago we were ready to roll to recommended release 10.4R8 and well, we
know that wasn't exactly a perfect solution ;)

Has anyone got 10.4R9 running on MX platform in production yet? I'm looking
for any feedback as JTAC is recommending we go to this release.

Thanks,

Paul

juniperdude at gmail

Feb 17, 2012, 1:44 PM

Re: 10.4R9 on MX stable? [In reply to]

Hi Paul,

Second that. Have it on a Lab MX240 with DPC-EQ Cards at the moment.

Running IPv4/IPv6 (PE6), OSPF ABR, OSPF3, iBGP, MPLS, RSVP, LDP, L3VPNs, and BGP VPLS w/LDP VPLS Mesh Group Interworking.

No issues so far. Haven't Tried with Trio/MPC cards yet - that'll be next week. I'll let you know. We want to push this out ASAP to fix other issues we've found in the 10.4 train with ae QoS bugs.

- Chris.

On 2012-02-18, at 5:21 AM, Serge Vautour wrote:

> We've had it loaded in the lab for a week now. Nothing seems broken yet. We're still testing.
>
> Serge
>

> ________________________________

paul at paulstewart

Feb 17, 2012, 2:17 PM

Re: 10.4R9 on MX stable? [In reply to]

Easiest way to explain it is to visit the download section at Juniper and look for the notices. I don’t have the PR’s handy but there was BGP issues along with linecard reloading issues etc…. weird thing is that Juniper still has it as recommended release with a bunch of notices beside it.

Take care,

Paul

It seems there is a common agreement that 10.4R8 is not the release to Ho with.

Now I feel left out of the party, as I have no idea what you folks are talking about.

I am also feeling a little nervous, as we are in the staging phase of a 12 router network and they are all running 10.4R8.

Amos

Sent from my iPhone

We need to upgrade from our 10.0R3.10 releases on MX platform. Up until a
month ago we were ready to roll to recommended release 10.4R8 and well, we
know that wasn't exactly a perfect solution ;)

Has anyone got 10.4R9 running on MX platform in production yet? I'm looking
for any feedback as JTAC is recommending we go to this release.

Thanks,

Paul

paul at paulstewart

Feb 17, 2012, 2:18 PM

Re: 10.4R9 on MX stable? [In reply to]

Thanks Serge. that's kind of where we're at... seems ok but I can't recreate
everything it could come across in the "wild"..;)

Cheers,

Paul

_____

We need to upgrade from our 10.0R3.10 releases on MX platform. Up until a
month ago we were ready to roll to recommended release 10.4R8 and well, we
know that wasn't exactly a perfect solution ;)

Has anyone got 10.4R9 running on MX platform in production yet? I'm looking
for any feedback as JTAC is recommending we go to this release.

Thanks,

Paul

jbates at brightok

Feb 17, 2012, 4:53 PM

Re: 10.4R9 on MX stable? [In reply to]

On 2/17/2012 10:27 AM, Paul Stewart wrote:
> Thanks..
>
> We're also ok with going to an 11.x release if there's a such thing as a
> "golden release" in the 11.x code...;)

I had to jump to 11.2 for static units with auto-configure on the same
interface on an MX80 for subscriber services. Running into a slew of
problems, although it is at least operational and doing what it needs to
do. 11.x makes me cringe, but unfortunately I require features. I'm
running a 4 problem ticket right now on it, from slow dns resolver to
delays on show interface displaying the logical units, to race
conditions causing issues between auto-configure and configuring static
units (they didn't have the static units override existing
auto-configured units that shared the same vlan), to sampled eating
filedescriptors until the box runs out if it is configured even if not
applied to an interface.

My mx80s and mx960s running 10.4R7.5 have been stable so far, although I
did notice some weirdness sometimes withe the ae setups (when the AE was
first brought up, isis came up, arp worked, but ping/bgp did not;
disable/enable fixed it and it has stayed stable so far, but I don't
trust it).

Jack

paul at paulstewart

Feb 17, 2012, 6:21 PM

Re: 10.4R9 on MX stable? [In reply to]

Hey Jack..

That's interesting about 11.2 on MX80 - just ran into a series of issues
with MX80 on subscriber management (PPPOE in this case). We went with
latest 11.4 release (needed features only available in that release so we
thought) and ran into weird "TFEB throttling issues" of which there is a
known PR applicable to the MX240/MX480/MX960 but told the PR isn't for MX80.
Waited for a week with Juniper to suggest a resolution and went to 11.2S
release only to have the same TFEB problem (exactly same issue as PR covers)
- Juniper again unable to resolve so went to 10.2R release and that solved
the TFEB issue, only to be hit with a bunch of other problems still pending
resolution from Juniper... these latest issues involved CPU load average
sitting around 4.5 and 90% memory utilization as soon as we turned up about
1300 PPPOE subscribers - other issues as well.

It's frustrating when the current release on the MX80 that is recommended is
exactly what we're trying to run and it's been a disaster to be honest... 9
days at a customer site and still no solid answers on how to get these
problems resolved.

Paul