Mailing List Archive: nsp: juniper

Low power warning

nsp juniper RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

Wouter.vandenBergh at imtech

Mar 23, 2010, 7:48 AM

Low power warning

Hi,

I am running into these errors on a virtual-chassis with 2 EX4200's:

Mar 22 16:14:20 chas[796]: link 1 SFP receive power low warning set
Mar 22 16:14:40 chas[796]: link 1 SFP receive power low warning cleared

Does anyone know how I can link this to the interface these messages come from? It doesn't seem to appear anywhere in the logfiles.

Regards,

Wouter

cra at wpi

Mar 23, 2010, 8:27 AM

Re: Low power warning [In reply to]

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 03:48:21PM +0100, Wouter van den Bergh wrote:
> Mar 22 16:14:20 chas[796]: link 1 SFP receive power low warning set
> Mar 22 16:14:40 chas[796]: link 1 SFP receive power low warning cleared
>
> Does anyone know how I can link this to the interface these messages come from? It doesn't seem to appear anywhere in the logfiles.

try:

show interfaces diagnostics optics ge-x/y/z

where x/y/z is where you have SFP interfaces, and look for low values
in the "Receiver signal average optical power" field. Unfortunately,
you can't run the command without specifying each specific interface,
one at a time--oh wait! That now works in 10.1R1!

show interfaces diagnostics optics

shows output for each of the interfaces that has DOM capabilities.

Not sure when they enhanced that, but it didn't do that in 9.5R2.

ras at e-gerbil

Mar 23, 2010, 12:02 PM

Re: Low power warning [In reply to]

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:27:22AM -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 03:48:21PM +0100, Wouter van den Bergh wrote:
> > Mar 22 16:14:20 chas[796]: link 1 SFP receive power low warning set
> > Mar 22 16:14:40 chas[796]: link 1 SFP receive power low warning cleared
> >
> > Does anyone know how I can link this to the interface these messages come from? It doesn't seem to appear anywhere in the logfiles.
>
> try:
>
> show interfaces diagnostics optics ge-x/y/z
>
> where x/y/z is where you have SFP interfaces, and look for low values
> in the "Receiver signal average optical power" field. Unfortunately,
> you can't run the command without specifying each specific interface,
> one at a time--oh wait! That now works in 10.1R1!
>
> show interfaces diagnostics optics
>
> shows output for each of the interfaces that has DOM capabilities.
>
> Not sure when they enhanced that, but it didn't do that in 9.5R2.

Hrm... The lack of ability to do "show interfaces diagnostic optics" and
see all interfaces has been on my bitch-list for the last 3+ years. I
had just given up hope that they were ever going to do anything to fix
it (or support the reverse order "show interface xe-0/0/0 diagnostics
optics" for that matter), so I had stopped even checking... But after
reading this email I just went back and checked a bunch of boxes, and it
actually IS working on MX on every version of code we're running (9.4R3
being the oldest). Guess they slipped it in when we weren't looking.

I also just checked our lab EX4200 for the accuracy of the DOM readings
(currently running 10.1R1), and the news there is... less good. Both of
the interfaces are perfectly good working LR XFPs that work just fine in
MX:

Physical interface: xe-0/1/0
Laser bias current : 35.138 mA
Laser output power : 0.5540 mW / -2.56 dBm
Module temperature : 32 degrees C / 90 degrees F
Laser rx power : 0.5460 mW / -2.63 dBm
Laser output power high alarm : Off
Laser output power low alarm : On
Laser output power high warning : Off
Laser output power low warning : On
Tx data not ready alarm : Off
Tx not ready alarm : Off
Tx laser fault alarm : Off
Tx CDR loss of lock alarm : On
Rx not ready alarm : On
Rx loss of signal alarm : On
Rx CDR loss of lock alarm : On

Apparently my transmit power of -2.56dBm (perfectly normal and in spec)
is setting off the low power alarm low, and even though I have link and
am passing packets, I have complete loss of signal too. The next one is
even worse:

Physical interface: xe-0/1/1
Laser bias current : 42.375 mA
Laser output power : 0.4670 mW / -3.31 dBm
Module temperature : 37 degrees C / 99 degrees F
Laser rx power : 0.0016 mW / -27.96 dBm

-27.96dBm is absurdly out of spec for LR, there is no possible way this
link could be up if it was within even 10dB of being that low.

But that is still better than our EX8200 DOM under 10.1R1:

Physical interface: xe-0/0/0
Laser bias current : 0.000 mA
Laser output power : 0.0000
Module temperature : 0 degrees C / 32 degrees F
Module voltage : 0.0000 V
Receiver signal average optical power : 0.0000
etc etc etc all 0's for everything...

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras [at] e-gerbil> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras

Wouter.vandenBergh at imtech

Mar 24, 2010, 2:24 AM

Re: Low power warning [In reply to]

Richard, Chuck,

Thanks for your replies. I should be able to work with those commands!

Cheers,

Wouter

> [...]

is setting off the low power alarm low, and even though I have link and
am passing packets, I have complete loss of signal too. The next one is
even worse:

Physical interface: xe-0/1/1
Laser bias current : 42.375 mA
Laser output power : 0.4670 mW / -3.31 dBm
Module temperature : 37 degrees C / 99 degrees F
Laser rx power : 0.0016 mW / -27.96 dBm

-27.96dBm is absurdly out of spec for LR, there is no possible way this
link could be up if it was within even 10dB of being that low.

But that is still better than our EX8200 DOM under 10.1R1:

Physical interface: xe-0/0/0
Laser bias current : 0.000 mA
Laser output power : 0.0000
Module temperature : 0 degrees C / 32 degrees F
Module voltage : 0.0000 V
Receiver signal average optical power : 0.0000

martin.levin at molndal

Mar 25, 2010, 4:30 AM

Re: Low power warning [In reply to]

Yes, I have the same problem here on EX[4,3]200 with XFP. SFPs seems to
work OK however.

Are these original Juniper XFPs? Because mine are not and if it's a
problem with Juniper original we'll have to wait until Juniper fixes
it... otherwise it might be a problem with the actual XFP.

---
Martin Levin
IT-strategy & planning
Mölndals stad

> [...]

even worse:

Physical interface: xe-0/1/1
Laser bias current : 42.375 mA
Laser output power : 0.4670 mW / -3.31 dBm
Module temperature : 37 degrees C / 99
degrees F
Laser rx power : 0.0016 mW / -27.96
dBm

-27.96dBm is absurdly out of spec for LR, there is no possible way this

link could be up if it was within even 10dB of being that low.

But that is still better than our EX8200 DOM under 10.1R1:

Physical interface: xe-0/0/0
Laser bias current : 0.000 mA
Laser output power : 0.0000
Module temperature : 0 degrees C / 32
degrees F
Module voltage : 0.0000 V
Receiver signal average optical power : 0.0000
etc etc etc all 0's for everything...

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras [at] e-gerbil>
GPG Key ID: 0xF8B12CBC (7535 7F59 8204 ED1F CC1C 53AF 4C41 5ECA F8B1
2CBC)

bt at paulen

Re: Low power warning [In reply to]

Richard A Steenbergen skrev:

> (...)
> Hrm... The lack of ability to do "show interfaces diagnostic optics" and
> see all interfaces has been on my bitch-list for the last 3+ years. I
> had just given up hope that they were ever going to do anything to fix
> it (or support the reverse order "show interface xe-0/0/0 diagnostics
> optics" for that matter), so I had stopped even checking... But after
> reading this email I just went back and checked a bunch of boxes, and it
> actually IS working on MX on every version of code we're running (9.4R3
> being the oldest). Guess they slipped it in when we weren't looking.

But still not possible to graph this? I.e. any working OID?

/BT

te at te3networks

Re: Low power warning [In reply to]

truman at suspicious

Re: Low power warning [In reply to]

If there is not an OID you can make one for the purpose; see the jnxUtilityMib and automation scripts.

Truman