Mailing List Archive: nsp: juniper

[JUNOS] Equivalent of a shutdown

nsp juniper RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

samuel.gay at c-s

Mar 4, 2008, 4:40 AM

[JUNOS] Equivalent of a shutdown

Hi Group,

Do you know a mean to "shutdown" an interface?
In fact I would like to simulate the lost of an operator link. In such
way that I get:

Samuel [at] M7i_2F> show interfaces terse
Interface Admin Link Proto Local
Remote
fe-1/3/0 down down

If I use the disable statement I got:

Samuel [at] M7i_2F> show interfaces terse
Interface Admin Link Proto Local
Remote
fe-1/3/0 down up

A way will be to put the PIC offline, but I work on fix interface
(fe-1/3/0 on a M7i or ge-0/0/0 on J4350).

Thanks for your ideas ...

Samuel

karabass at gmail

Mar 4, 2008, 8:11 AM

Re: [JUNOS] Equivalent of a shutdown [In reply to]

Hi Samuel,

The following commands should do the trick on M7i,
regardless of the fact that interface is fixed.
Be careful, though, your second port fe-1/3/1 will be shut-down as well.

request chassis pic offline fpc-slot 1 pic-slot 3
request chassis pic online fpc-slot 1 pic-slot 3

Obviously you won't be able to see the status under
show interfaces terse
until you make the PIC back online.

Kind regards,
Alexander Tarkhov

On 3/4/08, Samuel <samuel.gay [at] c-s> wrote:

> In such way that I get:
>
> Samuel [at] M7i_2F> show interfaces terse
> Interface Admin Link Proto Local
> Remote
> fe-1/3/0 down down

timo at tiscali

Mar 4, 2008, 8:17 AM

Re: [JUNOS] Equivalent of a shutdown [In reply to]

set interface fa-x/y/z disable
commit

> Do you know a mean to "shutdown" an interface?
Attachments: signature.asc (0.18 KB)

HRyu at norlight

Mar 4, 2008, 8:26 AM

Re: [JUNOS] Equivalent of a shutdown [In reply to]

Or you can use "deactivate interface fa-0/0/0".
Then "activate interface fa-0/0/0" if you need to bring it up.

Hyun

Hyunseog Ryu
Senior Network Engineer
Norlight , Inc.
Applications Engineering
13935 Bishops Drive
Brookfield, WI 53005
Phone. +1-262-792-7965
Fax. +1-262-792-7733
Email. hryu [at] norlight

Timo Mohre <timo [at] tiscali>
Sent by: juniper-nsp-bounces [at] puck
03/04/2008 10:17 AM

Samuel <samuel.gay [at] c-s>
cc
juniper-nsp <juniper-nsp [at] puck>
Fax to

Subject
Re: [j-nsp] [JUNOS] Equivalent of a shutdown

set interface fa-x/y/z disable
commit

> Do you know a mean to "shutdown" an interface?

samuel.gay at c-s

Mar 4, 2008, 9:55 AM

Re: [JUNOS] Equivalent of a shutdown [In reply to]

> The following commands should do the trick on M7i,
> regardless of the fact that interface is fixed.
> Be careful, though, your second port fe-1/3/1 will be shut-down as well.
> request chassis pic offline fpc-slot 1 pic-slot 3
Thanks Alexander. I had tried, but too quickly. It works fine even on
fixed interfaces.

Timo, if I use: "set interface fa-x/y/z disable", I get it:

Samuel [at] M7i_2F> show interfaces terse
Interface Admin Link Proto Local
Remote
fe-1/3/0 down up

Hyun, if I use: "deactivate interface fa-0/0/0", I get it:

Samuel [at] M7i_2F> show interfaces terse
Interface Admin Link Proto Local
Remote
fe-1/3/0 up up

And I would like to get:
fe-1/3/0 down down

benny.sumitro at gmail

Mar 5, 2008, 11:56 PM

Re: [JUNOS] Equivalent of a shutdown [In reply to]

I think Juniper has no equivalent command for "shut down" like in Cisco but
I do know that if disable the port the router will not be able to send
traffic to that interface and will ignore all command related to that
interface although, the remote peer will still see the port up.