Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: nsp: ipv6

SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic

 

 

nsp ipv6 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


liviu.pislaru at rcs-rds

Jul 18, 2012, 2:10 AM

Post #1 of 10 (3165 views)
Permalink
SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic

hi,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but i'll give it a try:
Does anyone knows if there is any SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic on CISCO
7600. I've deeply searched for this information, i've tried different
version on IOS (SRCx, SRDx) but without any luck. It seems like there is
no counter on CISCO 7600 for inbound v6 traffic (forwarded traffic not
control-plane).


Everything works fine on Juniper MX (Junos 11.4.x ++)

Bytes In: .1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.11.1.3.1.1.1
Bytes Out: .1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.11.1.3.1.1.2

or Cisco CRS / ASR 9k (IOS XR 4.x ++)

Bytes In: .1.3.6.1.2.1.4.31.3.1.6.2
Bytes Out: .1.3.6.1.2.1.4.31.3.1.33.2

but unfortunatelly not on Cisco 7600 / IOS.

As an workaround, i use dot1q subinterfaces between Cisco7600 routers
for v4 and v6 traffic but this is not always applicableat the edge of
the network (CDN, PNI, etc.)


any hint will be highly appreciated !

thanks,
Liviu.


gert at space

Jul 18, 2012, 2:15 AM

Post #2 of 10 (3065 views)
Permalink
Re: SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic [In reply to]

Hi

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:10:48PM +0300, Liviu Pislaru wrote:
> I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but i'll give it a try:
> Does anyone knows if there is any SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic on CISCO
> 7600. I've deeply searched for this information, i've tried different
> version on IOS (SRCx, SRDx) but without any luck. It seems like there is
> no counter on CISCO 7600 for inbound v6 traffic (forwarded traffic not
> control-plane).

The sup720 hardware has no counters for hw-forwarded IPv6 traffic.

You can see some numbers with "show interface accounting", but that's
actually lying to you - the "IPv6" packets are "control plane or
cpu-forwarded", and IPv6 packets forwarded by hardware add up to the
"IP" counters.

(I've opened a TAC case on this, and all I got was "update documentation")

Supposedly the Sup2T can do better.

Gert Doering
-- NetMaster
--
have you enabled IPv6 on something today...?

SpaceNet AG Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444 USt-IdNr.: DE813185279


liviu.pislaru at rcs-rds

Jul 18, 2012, 2:26 AM

Post #3 of 10 (3059 views)
Permalink
Re: SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic [In reply to]

Hi Gert,

I agree that i can only see control-plane inbound traffic with "show
interface accounting". I also think that when i would be able to see
hw-forwarded traffic with this command the problem with SNMP OID would
be also solved.

I only hope is not some hardware limitation on SUP720 or RSP720.
Maybe someone from CISCO can give us more details.

--
Liviu.

On 07/18/12 12:15, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:10:48PM +0300, Liviu Pislaru wrote:
>> I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but i'll give it a try:
>> Does anyone knows if there is any SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic on CISCO
>> 7600. I've deeply searched for this information, i've tried different
>> version on IOS (SRCx, SRDx) but without any luck. It seems like there is
>> no counter on CISCO 7600 for inbound v6 traffic (forwarded traffic not
>> control-plane).
> The sup720 hardware has no counters for hw-forwarded IPv6 traffic.
>
> You can see some numbers with "show interface accounting", but that's
> actually lying to you - the "IPv6" packets are "control plane or
> cpu-forwarded", and IPv6 packets forwarded by hardware add up to the
> "IP" counters.
>
> (I've opened a TAC case on this, and all I got was "update documentation")
>
> Supposedly the Sup2T can do better.
>
> Gert Doering
> -- NetMaster


gert at space

Jul 18, 2012, 2:29 AM

Post #4 of 10 (3049 views)
Permalink
Re: SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic [In reply to]

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:26:58PM +0300, Liviu Pislaru wrote:
> I agree that i can only see control-plane inbound traffic with "show
> interface accounting". I also think that when i would be able to see
> hw-forwarded traffic with this command the problem with SNMP OID would
> be also solved.
>
> I only hope is not some hardware limitation on SUP720 or RSP720.
> Maybe someone from CISCO can give us more details.

Uh. Please read what I wrote:

> On 07/18/12 12:15, Gert Doering wrote:
> > The sup720 hardware has no counters for hw-forwarded IPv6 traffic.

which very definitely is a hardware limitation.

Gert Doering
-- NetMaster
--
have you enabled IPv6 on something today...?

SpaceNet AG Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444 USt-IdNr.: DE813185279


liviu.pislaru at rcs-rds

Jul 18, 2012, 2:37 AM

Post #5 of 10 (3057 views)
Permalink
Re: SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic [In reply to]

in that case, there is nothing to be done.
are you expecting anything else to happen regarding the TAC case ?
are you still optimistic ?

--
liviu.

On 07/18/12 12:29, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:26:58PM +0300, Liviu Pislaru wrote:
>> I agree that i can only see control-plane inbound traffic with "show
>> interface accounting". I also think that when i would be able to see
>> hw-forwarded traffic with this command the problem with SNMP OID would
>> be also solved.
>>
>> I only hope is not some hardware limitation on SUP720 or RSP720.
>> Maybe someone from CISCO can give us more details.
> Uh. Please read what I wrote:
>
>> On 07/18/12 12:15, Gert Doering wrote:
>>> The sup720 hardware has no counters for hw-forwarded IPv6 traffic.
> which very definitely is a hardware limitation.
>
> Gert Doering
> -- NetMaster


p.mayers at imperial

Jul 18, 2012, 2:47 AM

Post #6 of 10 (3049 views)
Permalink
Re: SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic [In reply to]

On 07/18/2012 10:10 AM, Liviu Pislaru wrote:
> hi,
>
> I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but i'll give it a try:

It's not really. cisco-nsp would be better, since it's a Cisco-specific
question.

> Does anyone knows if there is any SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic on CISCO

As Gert has said, there isn't. Can't be done. Impossible.

> As an workaround, i use dot1q subinterfaces between Cisco7600 routers
> for v4 and v6 traffic but this is not always applicableat the edge of
> the network (CDN, PNI, etc.)

One other workaround is:

1. Use a QoS policy map on the interface matching all IPv6 traffic
2. Enable QoS statistics export

This is a neat trick which we've used successfully. It has limits, and
requires you enable QoS on the platform which opens a whole bunch more
things to think about. But it does get you IPv6 traffic per-interface.
I'm not sure if you can get the counters via SNMP though.


gert at space

Jul 18, 2012, 2:55 AM

Post #7 of 10 (3048 views)
Permalink
Re: SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic [In reply to]

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:37:00PM +0300, Liviu Pislaru wrote:
> in that case, there is nothing to be done.
> are you expecting anything else to happen regarding the TAC case ?
> are you still optimistic ?

the case has been closed long ago - "this was a documentation problem and
has been resolved".

Of course I'm not happy, but if the hardware can not do it, there is not
much TAC can do about it.

Gert Doering
-- NetMaster
--
have you enabled IPv6 on something today...?

SpaceNet AG Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444 USt-IdNr.: DE813185279


admins at jump

Jul 18, 2012, 2:57 AM

Post #8 of 10 (3045 views)
Permalink
Re: [jump-admins] SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic [In reply to]

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012, Liviu Pislaru wrote:

> Does anyone knows if there is any SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic on CISCO 7600.

No, but you can do netflow v9 export to a collector, I use NfSen/Nfdump
for that.

Cheers
James


chris.welti at switch

Jul 19, 2012, 6:15 AM

Post #9 of 10 (3057 views)
Permalink
Re: SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic [In reply to]

Am 7/18/12 11:15 AM, schrieb Gert Doering:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:10:48PM +0300, Liviu Pislaru wrote:
>> I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but i'll give it a try:
>> Does anyone knows if there is any SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic on CISCO
>> 7600. I've deeply searched for this information, i've tried different
>> version on IOS (SRCx, SRDx) but without any luck. It seems like there is
>> no counter on CISCO 7600 for inbound v6 traffic (forwarded traffic not
>> control-plane).
>
> The sup720 hardware has no counters for hw-forwarded IPv6 traffic.
>
> You can see some numbers with "show interface accounting", but that's
> actually lying to you - the "IPv6" packets are "control plane or
> cpu-forwarded", and IPv6 packets forwarded by hardware add up to the
> "IP" counters.
>
> (I've opened a TAC case on this, and all I got was "update documentation")
>
> Supposedly the Sup2T can do better.

The Sup2T has 8 hardware counters per interface:
IPv4 in
IPv4 out
IPv4 + IPv6 multicast in
IPv4 + IPv6 multicast out
IPv6 in
IPv6 out
MPLS in
MPLS out

Example from one of our routers with "show interface details":

Additional Counters:
IPv4 in Switched: ucast: 232026083769 pkt, 148847946714671 bytes
IPv6 in Switched: ucast: 9050302605 pkt, 9415087298170 bytes
IPv4 + IPv6 in Switched: mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes
MPLS in Switched: 0 pkt, 0 bytes
IPv4 out Switched: ucast: 405745004714 pkt, 436152461768595 bytes
IPv6 out Switched: ucast: 6604380583 pkt, 3274803027618 bytes
IPv4 + IPv6 out Switched: mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes
MPLS out Switched: 0 pkt, 0 bytes
241476439140 packets input, 158295295704756 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 310796695 broadcasts (2 IP multicasts)
0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored
0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input
0 input packets with dribble condition detected
412421724492 packets output, 439439372700949 bytes, 0 underruns
0 output errors, 0 collisions, 1 interface resets
0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 PAUSE output
0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

I don't know if they're available via SNMP though.

Regards,
Chris

SWITCH
Serving Swiss Universities
--------------------------
Chris Welti, Network Engineer
Werdstrasse 2, P.O. Box, 8021 Zurich, Switzerland
phone +41 44 268 15 30, fax +41 44 268 15 68
chris.welti [at] switch
http://www.switch.ch


frnkblk at iname

Jul 19, 2012, 11:29 AM

Post #10 of 10 (3071 views)
Permalink
RE: SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic [In reply to]

Brocade's MLXe has separate IPv4 and IPv6 octet and packet counters in their
own MIB -- works great.

Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: ipv6-ops-bounces+frnkblk=iname.com [at] lists
[mailto:ipv6-ops-bounces+frnkblk=iname.com [at] lists] On Behalf Of
Chris Welti
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:16 AM
To: Gert Doering
Cc: Liviu Pislaru; ipv6-ops [at] lists
Subject: Re: SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic

Am 7/18/12 11:15 AM, schrieb Gert Doering:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:10:48PM +0300, Liviu Pislaru wrote:
>> I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but i'll give it a
try:
>> Does anyone knows if there is any SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic on CISCO
>> 7600. I've deeply searched for this information, i've tried different
>> version on IOS (SRCx, SRDx) but without any luck. It seems like there is
>> no counter on CISCO 7600 for inbound v6 traffic (forwarded traffic not
>> control-plane).
>
> The sup720 hardware has no counters for hw-forwarded IPv6 traffic.
>
> You can see some numbers with "show interface accounting", but that's
> actually lying to you - the "IPv6" packets are "control plane or
> cpu-forwarded", and IPv6 packets forwarded by hardware add up to the
> "IP" counters.
>
> (I've opened a TAC case on this, and all I got was "update documentation")
>
> Supposedly the Sup2T can do better.

The Sup2T has 8 hardware counters per interface:
IPv4 in
IPv4 out
IPv4 + IPv6 multicast in
IPv4 + IPv6 multicast out
IPv6 in
IPv6 out
MPLS in
MPLS out

Example from one of our routers with "show interface details":

Additional Counters:
IPv4 in Switched: ucast: 232026083769 pkt, 148847946714671 bytes
IPv6 in Switched: ucast: 9050302605 pkt, 9415087298170 bytes
IPv4 + IPv6 in Switched: mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes
MPLS in Switched: 0 pkt, 0 bytes
IPv4 out Switched: ucast: 405745004714 pkt, 436152461768595 bytes
IPv6 out Switched: ucast: 6604380583 pkt, 3274803027618 bytes
IPv4 + IPv6 out Switched: mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes
MPLS out Switched: 0 pkt, 0 bytes
241476439140 packets input, 158295295704756 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 310796695 broadcasts (2 IP multicasts)
0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored
0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input
0 input packets with dribble condition detected
412421724492 packets output, 439439372700949 bytes, 0 underruns
0 output errors, 0 collisions, 1 interface resets
0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 PAUSE output
0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

I don't know if they're available via SNMP though.

Regards,
Chris

SWITCH
Serving Swiss Universities
--------------------------
Chris Welti, Network Engineer
Werdstrasse 2, P.O. Box, 8021 Zurich, Switzerland
phone +41 44 268 15 30, fax +41 44 268 15 68
chris.welti [at] switch
http://www.switch.ch

nsp ipv6 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.