Mailing List Archive: nsp: ipv6

Skype super nodes now all at Microsoft

nsp ipv6 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

cb.list6 at gmail

Jul 16, 2012, 6:56 AM

Skype super nodes now all at Microsoft

Now that Skype is only run out of MSFT seems more likely they should be
able to add ipv6 support. .... They are no longer a heterogenous p2p
signalling andbproxying network, so it would be relatively easy for them
to broker / proxy a v6 to v4 call.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/05/skype-replaces-p2p-supernodes-with-linux-boxes-hosted-by-microsoft/

snoble at sonn

Jul 16, 2012, 7:10 AM

Re: Skype super nodes now all at Microsoft [In reply to]

On Jul 16, 2012, at 6:56 AM, Cameron Byrne wrote:

> Now that Skype is only run out of MSFT seems more likely they should be able to add ipv6 support. .... They are no longer a heterogenous p2p signalling andbproxying network, so it would be relatively easy for them to broker / proxy a v6 to v4 call.
>
> http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/05/skype-replaces-p2p-supernodes-with-linux-boxes-hosted-by-microsoft/

I don't believe any of the other MSFT properties are IPv6 accessible (at least the www versions). What would make Skype special?

ping6 www.microsoft.com
ping6 www.live.com
ping6 www.msn.com
ping6: getaddrinfo -- nodename nor servname provided, or not known

ping6 www.google.com
PING6(56=40+8+8 bytes) 2610:d0::xxxx --> 2001:4860:4001:802::1010

jeroen at unfix

Jul 16, 2012, 7:29 AM

Re: Skype super nodes now all at Microsoft [In reply to]

On 2012-07-16 16:10, Steven Noble wrote:
> On Jul 16, 2012, at 6:56 AM, Cameron Byrne wrote:
>>
>> Now that Skype is only run out of MSFT seems more likely they
>> should be able to add ipv6 support. .... They are no longer a
>> heterogenous p2p signalling andbproxying network, so it would be
>> relatively easy for them to broker / proxy a v6 to v4 call.
>>
>> http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/05/skype-replaces-p2p-supernodes-with-linux-boxes-hosted-by-microsoft/
>>

> I don't believe any of the other MSFT properties are IPv6 accessible
> (at least the www versions). What would make Skype special?

Xbox.com is:

$ host www.xbox.com
www.xbox.com is an alias for www.gtm.xbox.com.
www.gtm.xbox.com is an alias for msxbwsd.vo.llnwd.net.
msxbwsd.vo.llnwd.net has address 87.248.223.190
msxbwsd.vo.llnwd.net has address 87.248.223.183
msxbwsd.vo.llnwd.net has IPv6 address 2a02:3d0:630:12:225:90ff:fe05:a46
msxbwsd.vo.llnwd.net has IPv6 address 2a02:3d0:630:12:225:90ff:fe04:3d1e

and that for more than a year already... likely depends on the product
group to make that decision and ask yourself, is there any revenue
advantage in doing so today, nope still not yet...

Greets,
Jeroen

owens at nysernet

Jul 16, 2012, 7:42 AM

Re: Skype super nodes now all at Microsoft [In reply to]

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 04:29:30PM +0200, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> On 2012-07-16 16:10, Steven Noble wrote:
> > I don't believe any of the other MSFT properties are IPv6 accessible
> > (at least the www versions). What would make Skype special?
>
> Xbox.com is:

www.bing.com as well, and that was a featured site for World IPv6 Launch. Now if they'd do windowsupdate.com, we'd see some real IPv6 traffic (at least once a month ;)

Bill.

nick at foobar

Jul 16, 2012, 7:44 AM

Re: Skype super nodes now all at Microsoft [In reply to]

On 16/07/2012 15:42, Bill Owens wrote:
> www.bing.com as well, and that was a featured site for World IPv6
> Launch. Now if they'd do windowsupdate.com, we'd see some real IPv6
> traffic (at least once a month ;)

windowsupdate is already served over akamai, i thought?

Nick

dr at cluenet

Jul 16, 2012, 7:51 AM

Re: Skype super nodes now all at Microsoft [In reply to]

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 03:44:42PM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 16/07/2012 15:42, Bill Owens wrote:
> > www.bing.com as well, and that was a featured site for World IPv6
> > Launch. Now if they'd do windowsupdate.com, we'd see some real IPv6
> > traffic (at least once a month ;)
>
> windowsupdate is already served over akamai, i thought?

So what? Unless the customer asks for enabling IPv6, it's not done, as
far as I understood Akamai's statements about opt-in. Please correct me
if I'm wrong/outdated.

Best regards,
Daniel

--
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: dr [at] cluenet -- dr [at] IRCne -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0

owens at nysernet

Jul 16, 2012, 7:57 AM

Re: Skype super nodes now all at Microsoft [In reply to]

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 03:44:42PM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 16/07/2012 15:42, Bill Owens wrote:
> > www.bing.com as well, and that was a featured site for World IPv6
> > Launch. Now if they'd do windowsupdate.com, we'd see some real IPv6
> > traffic (at least once a month ;)
>
> windowsupdate is already served over akamai, i thought?

Could be - I have no Windows machines to update, and Microsoft won't even allow me to see the website since I'm not running IE. So I have no idea what the update process looks like, I can only poke at the DNS entries. . .

Bill.

tore.anderson at redpill-linpro

Jul 16, 2012, 10:17 AM

Re: Skype super nodes now all at Microsoft [In reply to]

* Bill Owens

> www.bing.com as well, and that was a featured site for World IPv6
> Launch. Now if they'd do windowsupdate.com, we'd see some real IPv6
> traffic (at least once a month ;)

It's coming:

[...] the Windows Update service now supports both IPv6 and IPv4.
Windows Update utilizes CDNs for worldwide distribution of updates and
we are partnering with them to enable IPv6 support. Windows 8 will use
IPv6, if available, to download Windows Updates so that users always get
the best possible connectivity when downloading updates.

We are working with CDNs to extend IPv6 support beyond Windows 8. Once
that work is complete, even Windows 7 and Windows Vista will
automatically use IPv6, where it is available, for connecting to Windows
Update.

-- http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/06/05/connecting-with-ipv6-in-windows-8.aspx

--
Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

nsp ipv6 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded