Mailing List Archive: nsp: ipv6

And this month big surprize is... Romania!

nsp ipv6 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

evyncke at cisco

And this month big surprize is... Romania!

I am doing some measurement about IPv6 peers on the BitTorrent network (http://www.vyncke.org/ipv6status/p2p.php) and while the big surprise of early 2012 was the rise of US (esp AT&T network), in May the big rise is Romania and a provider named 'RCS & RDS SA' which is able in a couple of weeks to rise the number of native IPv6 BT peers in Romania to 1.6%...

Quite impressive and if anyone knows the story behind this provider, I am glad to read about it ;-)

Best regards

-éric

PS: http://www.vyncke.org/ipv6status/plotpenetration.php?country=ro (a different representation of Google stats - thanks Eric & Lorenzo) shows the very same trends!

jeroen at unfix

Re: And this month big surprize is... Romania! [In reply to]

On 4 May 2012, at 23:37, "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <evyncke [at] cisco> wrote:

> I am doing some measurement about IPv6 peers on the BitTorrent network (http://www.vyncke.org/ipv6status/p2p.php) and while the big surprise of early 2012 was the rise of US (esp AT&T network), in May the big rise is Romania and a provider named ‘RCS & RDS SA’ which is able in a couple of weeks to rise the number of native IPv6 BT peers in Romania to 1.6%...

Nice trick!

It allows one to see a good sample of at least all the Bittorrent users without having to snoop networks all over the place ;)

Greets,
Jeroen

v6ops at stefan-neufeind

Re: And this month big surprize is... Romania! [In reply to]

On 05/04/2012 11:37 PM, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) wrote:
> I am doing some measurement about IPv6 peers on the BitTorrent network
> (http://www.vyncke.org/ipv6status/p2p.php) and while the big surprise of
> early 2012 was the rise of US (esp AT&T network), in May the big rise is
> Romania and a provider named ‘RCS & RDS SA’ which is able in a couple of
> weeks to rise the number of native IPv6 BT peers in Romania to 1.6%...

Hi,

while I like the idea I somewhat doubt these numbers have enough
statistical background. Unfortunately it seems only possible to
determine a low number of peers at all through this way and so the
percentage-values are quite far off.

There are some networks (especially seeders) that are definitely
IPv6-capable but don't appear in those stats at all.
For sure it all depends on the angle of view ...

But as said, the idea is great :-)

Regards,
Stefan

evyncke at cisco

RE: And this month big surprize is... Romania! [In reply to]

Stefan

You are correct, the last sample of a couple of days ago is 'just' 500k peers so not really accurate but it can give a good idea. It is more about trends than actual percentage per country as the tests are done for 24-48 hours only.

As long as IX do not expose their IPv6 traffic (or even per AS traffic) we have to rely on some biased measurements. In this case, BT is not used by all countries for example.

But, w/o this measurement, I would have been unable to spot the sudden rise of Romanian traffic (which is also confirmed by APNIC & Google).

-éric

gert at space

Re: And this month big surprize is... Romania! [In reply to]

Hi,

On Sat, May 05, 2012 at 07:22:20PM +0200, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) wrote:
> You are correct, the last sample of a couple of days ago is 'just' 500k peers so not really accurate but it can give a good idea. It is more about trends than actual percentage per country as the tests are done for 24-48 hours only.
>
> As long as IX do not expose their IPv6 traffic (or even per AS traffic) we have to rely on some biased measurements. In this case, BT is not used by all countries for example.
>
> But, w/o this measurement, I would have been unable to spot the sudden rise of Romanian traffic (which is also confirmed by APNIC & Google).

I think this is a useful metric to see how broadband IPv6 deployment takes
up across the world. Of course it is skewed, as it doesn't tell anything
about seeders, about countries that prefer emule to BT, and doesn't tell
us much about how *well* IPv6 works there (maybe the whole Telco in question
is connected only over an IPv6 tunnel...) - but still, it shows *trends*,
and this is useful :-)

Thanks for running these tests and sharing your results.

Gert Doering
-- NetMaster

SpaceNet AG Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444 USt-IdNr.: DE813185279

nsp ipv6 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded