Mailing List Archive: nsp: ipv6

IPv6 Matrix results for Dec 2011

nsp ipv6 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

ocl at gih

Feb 8, 2012, 3:12 AM

IPv6 Matrix results for Dec 2011

(apologies for cross-posting)

Dear all,

please find below my latest presentations for the IPv6 Matrix project.
The latest one is the one I was going to give at Pondicherry, India,
showing very modest growth of IPv6 (but I ran out of time). As of 1 Feb
2012, we now have 120Gb of historical data about the worldwide spread of
IPv6, in text form, sampled regularly since summer 2010.
http://www.ipv6matrix.org/

IPv6 Matrix Exec Summary Dec 2011 Results - ICCA Pondicherry 31 Jan 2012
<http://www.slideshare.net/ocl999/ipv6-matrix-exec-summary-dec-2011-icca-pondicherry-31-jan-2012>
http://www.slideshare.net/ocl999/ipv6-matrix-exec-summary-dec-2011-icca-pondicherry-31-jan-2012

Reminder of my previous presentation, right after the June 2011 IPv6 day:

IPv6 Matrix Exec Summary July 2011 Results
<http://www.slideshare.net/ocl999/ipv6-matrix-exec-summary-july-2011>
http://www.slideshare.net/ocl999/ipv6-matrix-exec-summary-july-2011

As a reminder, this project was launched thanks to an ISOC Community
Grant and remains supported by TwentyTwenty Media Ltd for its ongoing
IPv6 Internet connectivity.

We plan to soon engage in another round of funding in order to perform
trend analysis of our results database.

Warm regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html

aservin at lacnic

Feb 11, 2012, 5:21 AM

Re: IPv6 Matrix results for Dec 2011 [In reply to]

Oliver,

there is some odd data, for example, only two hosts in Guatemala?

Regards,
as

On 8 Feb 2012, at 09:12, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:

> (apologies for cross-posting)
>
> Dear all,
>
> please find below my latest presentations for the IPv6 Matrix project. The latest one is the one I was going to give at Pondicherry, India, showing very modest growth of IPv6 (but I ran out of time). As of 1 Feb 2012, we now have 120Gb of historical data about the worldwide spread of IPv6, in text form, sampled regularly since summer 2010. http://www.ipv6matrix.org/
>

> IPv6 Matrix Exec Summary Dec 2011 Results - ICCA Pondicherry 31 Jan 2012
> http://www.slideshare.net/ocl999/ipv6-matrix-exec-summary-dec-2011-icca-pondicherry-31-jan-2012
>

> Reminder of my previous presentation, right after the June 2011 IPv6 day:
>
> IPv6 Matrix Exec Summary July 2011 Results
> http://www.slideshare.net/ocl999/ipv6-matrix-exec-summary-july-2011
>
> As a reminder, this project was launched thanks to an ISOC Community Grant and remains supported by TwentyTwenty Media Ltd for its ongoing IPv6 Internet connectivity.
>
> We plan to soon engage in another round of funding in order to perform trend analysis of our results database.
>
> Warm regards,
>
> Olivier
>
> --
> Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
> http://www.gih.com/ocl.html

ocl at gih

Feb 11, 2012, 9:09 AM

Re: IPv6 Matrix results for Dec 2011 [In reply to]

Hello Arturo,

good catch! The analysis on small samples is odd and I am still trying
to work out the bug/inaccuracy. It's a complex mix of GeoIP on IPv4
addresses brought about by gTLDs -- so the sample domain size for .GT is
71 domains, only a 31 of them are actually hosted in Guatemala.
The analysis returns 2 hosts only which have an IPv6 compatible NS but
yes, this should be displayed as 2 / 31, so not 100% -- although those
name-servers are not even in the country itself.

I am currently working with the team to produce more meaningful results
on small samples. The issue of name-server location being sticky since
many domains use secondary DNS that's IPv6 compatible but don't really
make the domain IPv6 compatible as such.

The data's stored. I expect we'll get more accurate results once we
refine the analysis.
Kind regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html

aservin at lacnic

Feb 11, 2012, 11:30 AM

Re: IPv6 Matrix results for Dec 2011 [In reply to]

Thanks for the quick reply.

On 11 Feb 2012, at 15:09, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:

> Hello Arturo,
>
> good catch! The analysis on small samples is odd and I am still trying to work out the bug/inaccuracy. It's a complex mix of GeoIP on IPv4 addresses brought about by gTLDs -- so the sample domain size for .GT is 71 domains, only a 31 of them are actually hosted in Guatemala.
> The analysis returns 2 hosts only which have an IPv6 compatible NS but yes, this should be displayed as 2 / 31, so not 100% -- although those name-servers are not even in the country itself.

Yes, 100% was too much. Now it looks more realistic.

> I am currently working with the team to produce more meaningful results on small samples. The issue of name-server location being sticky since many domains use secondary DNS that's IPv6 compatible but don't really make the domain IPv6 compatible as such.

It depends. If the criteria is to resolve a domain name using ipv6 only it does not matter, however if the criteria is to resolve a domain using ipv6 using a dns in that country, then you are right.

> The data's stored. I expect we'll get more accurate results once we refine the analysis.
> Kind regards,
>
> Olivier

Cheers,
as