Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: nsp: ipv6

World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012

 

 

nsp ipv6 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


berni at birkenwald

Jan 17, 2012, 6:42 AM

Post #1 of 21 (3487 views)
Permalink
World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012

FYI, http://www.worldipv6launch.org/press/20120117-2/


World IPv6 Launch Solidifies Global Support for New Internet Protocol

Top websites, Internet service providers, and home networking equipment
manufacturers commit to largest transition in the Internet’s history

[Washington, D.C., USA and Geneva, Switzerland] – 17 January 2012 –
Major Internet service providers (ISPs), home networking equipment
manufacturers, and web companies around the world are coming together to
permanently enable IPv6 for their products and services by 6 June 2012.

Organized by the Internet Society, and building on the successful
one-day World IPv6 Day event held on 8 June 2011, World IPv6 Launch
represents a major milestone in the global deployment of IPv6. As the
successor to the current Internet Protocol, IPv4, IPv6 is critical to
the Internet’s continued growth as a platform for innovation and
economic development.

“The fact that leading companies across several industries are making
significant commitments to participate in World IPv6 Launch is yet
another indication that IPv6 is no longer a lab experiment; it’s here
and is an important next step in the Internet’s evolution,” commented
Leslie Daigle, the Internet Society’s Chief Internet Technology Officer.
“And, as there are more IPv6 services, it becomes increasingly important
for companies to accelerate their own deployment plans.”

ISPs participating in World IPv6 Launch will enable IPv6 for enough
users so that at least 1% of their wireline residential subscribers who
visit participating websites will do so using IPv6 by 6 June 2012. These
ISPs have committed that IPv6 will be available automatically as the
normal course of business for a significant portion of their
subscribers. Committed ISPs are:

● AT&T
● Comcast
● Free Telecom
● Internode
● KDDI
● Time Warner Cable
● XS4ALL

Participating home networking equipment manufacturers will enable IPv6
by default through the range of their home router products by 6 June
2012. Committed equipment manufacturers are:

● Cisco
● D-Link

Web companies participating in World IPv6 Launch will enable IPv6 on
their main websites permanently beginning 6 June 2012. Inaugural
participants are:

● Facebook (www.facebook.com)
● Google (www.google.com)
● Microsoft Bing (www.bing.com)
● Yahoo! (www.yahoo.com)

Content delivery network providers Akamai and Limelight will be enabling
their customers to join this list of participating websites by enabling
IPv6 throughout their infrastructure.

As IPv4 addresses become increasingly scarce, every segment of the
industry must act quickly to accelerate full IPv6 adoption or risk
increased costs and limited functionality online for Internet users
everywhere. World IPv6 Launch participants are leading the way in this
effort.

For more information about World IPv6 Launch, products, and services
covered, as well as links to useful information for users and
information about how other companies may participate, visit:

http://www.worldipv6launch.org

About the need for IPv6
IPv4 has approximately four billion IP addresses (the sequence of
numbers assigned to each Internet-connected device). The explosion in
the number of people, devices, and web services on the Internet means
that IPv4 is running out of space. IPv6, the next-generation Internet
protocol which provides more than 340 trillion, trillion, trillion
addresses, will connect the billions of people not connected today and
will help ensure the Internet can continue its current growth rate
indefinitely.

About the Internet Society
The Internet Society is the world’s trusted independent source of
leadership for Internet policy, technology standards and future
development. Based on its principled vision and substantial
technological foundation, the Internet Society works with its members
and Chapters around the world to promote the continued evolution and
growth of the open Internet through dialog among companies, governments,
and other organizations around the world. For more information, see:
www.internetsociety.org



Akamai Technologies, Inc.
Jeff Young
jyoung [at] akamai

AT&T
Jenny Bridges
jenny.bridges [at] fleishman

Cisco
Marc Musgrove
mmusgrov [at] cisco

Comcast
Jorge Alberni
jorge_alberni [at] comcast

D-Link
Denise Keddy
denise.keddy [at] dlink

Facebook
Nisha Gulati
ngulati [at] fb

Google Inc.
press [at] google

Internet Society
Wende Cover
cover [at] isoc

Internode
John Harris
jharris [at] impress

Limelight Networks
[TK]

Microsoft Bing
Bill Hankes
bhankes [at] microsoft

Time Warner Cable
Justin Venech
justin.venech [at] twcable

Yahoo!
Christina Scharrenberg
cscharr [at] yahoo-inc


jared at puck

Jan 17, 2012, 9:29 AM

Post #2 of 21 (3379 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

This website now seems to be down (over IPv4 at least).

On Jan 17, 2012, at 9:42 AM, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:

> FYI, http://www.worldipv6launch.org/press/20120117-2/


-- snip --
> Host: www.worldipv6launch.org
> Accept: */*
>
* HTTP 1.0, assume close after body
< HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
< Server: AkamaiGHost
< Mime-Version: 1.0
< Content-Type: text/html
< Content-Length: 194
< Expires: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:28:35 GMT
< Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:28:35 GMT
< Connection: close
<
-- snip --


neufeind at gmx

Jan 17, 2012, 9:32 AM

Post #3 of 21 (3382 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

Just wanted to try via IPv6. But it's not IPv6-enabled :-)
Let's hope it will be until launch-day ...


Regards,
Stefan

On 01/17/2012 06:29 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:
> This website now seems to be down (over IPv4 at least).
>
> On Jan 17, 2012, at 9:42 AM, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:
>
>> FYI, http://www.worldipv6launch.org/press/20120117-2/
>
>
> -- snip --
>> Host: www.worldipv6launch.org
>> Accept: */*
>>
> * HTTP 1.0, assume close after body
> < HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
> < Server: AkamaiGHost
> < Mime-Version: 1.0
> < Content-Type: text/html
> < Content-Length: 194
> < Expires: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:28:35 GMT
> < Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:28:35 GMT
> < Connection: close
> <
> -- snip --


cb.list6 at gmail

Jan 17, 2012, 9:41 AM

Post #4 of 21 (3399 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

On Jan 17, 2012 9:32 AM, "Stefan Neufeind" <neufeind [at] gmx> wrote:
>
> Just wanted to try via IPv6. But it's not IPv6-enabled :-)
> Let's hope it will be until launch-day ...
>

Confirmed load issue. Not a protocol issue.

Cb
>
> Regards,
> Stefan
>
> On 01/17/2012 06:29 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:
> > This website now seems to be down (over IPv4 at least).
> >
> > On Jan 17, 2012, at 9:42 AM, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:
> >
> >> FYI, http://www.worldipv6launch.org/press/20120117-2/
> >
> >
> > -- snip --
> >> Host: www.worldipv6launch.org
> >> Accept: */*
> >>
> > * HTTP 1.0, assume close after body
> > < HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
> > < Server: AkamaiGHost
> > < Mime-Version: 1.0
> > < Content-Type: text/html
> > < Content-Length: 194
> > < Expires: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:28:35 GMT
> > < Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:28:35 GMT
> > < Connection: close
> > <
> > -- snip --


thomas at cis

Jan 17, 2012, 9:59 AM

Post #5 of 21 (3381 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

Am Dienstag, 17. Januar 2012, 18:32:21 schrieb Stefan Neufeind:
> Just wanted to try via IPv6. But it's not IPv6-enabled :-)
> Let's hope it will be until launch-day ...

It was reachable via IPv6. After the ddos they switched to akamai, but they
still have problems.

Regards,

Thomas


evyncke at cisco

Jan 17, 2012, 10:03 AM

Post #6 of 21 (3379 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

Ddos or slashdotted?

Typed on a small keyboard sorry for lack of ponctuation and French accented letters.

----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas Schfer [mailto:thomas [at] cis]
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 06:59 PM
To: ipv6-ops [at] lists <ipv6-ops [at] lists>
Subject: Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012

Am Dienstag, 17. Januar 2012, 18:32:21 schrieb Stefan Neufeind:
> Just wanted to try via IPv6. But it's not IPv6-enabled :-)
> Let's hope it will be until launch-day ...

It was reachable via IPv6. After the ddos they switched to akamai, but they
still have problems.

Regards,

Thomas


jared at puck

Jan 17, 2012, 10:13 AM

Post #7 of 21 (3384 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

Looked like config error when I polled it.

- Jared

On Jan 17, 2012, at 1:03 PM, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) wrote:

> Ddos or slashdotted?
>
> Typed on a small keyboard sorry for lack of ponctuation and French accented letters.
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Thomas Schfer [mailto:thomas [at] cis]
> Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 06:59 PM
> To: ipv6-ops [at] lists <ipv6-ops [at] lists>
> Subject: Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012
>
> Am Dienstag, 17. Januar 2012, 18:32:21 schrieb Stefan Neufeind:
>> Just wanted to try via IPv6. But it's not IPv6-enabled :-)
>> Let's hope it will be until launch-day ...
>
> It was reachable via IPv6. After the ddos they switched to akamai, but they
> still have problems.
>
> Regards,
>
> Thomas


cb.list6 at gmail

Jan 17, 2012, 10:16 AM

Post #8 of 21 (3381 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Jared Mauch <jared [at] puck> wrote:
> Looked like config error when I polled it.
>

I am assuming a transient issue while moving from overwhelmed system
to higher capacity.

Just speculation.

It did work fine for me first this morning ...

CB

> - Jared
>
> On Jan 17, 2012, at 1:03 PM, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) wrote:
>
>> Ddos or slashdotted?
>>
>> Typed on a small keyboard sorry for lack of ponctuation and French accented letters.
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: Thomas Schfer [mailto:thomas [at] cis]
>> Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 06:59 PM
>> To: ipv6-ops [at] lists <ipv6-ops [at] lists>
>> Subject: Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012
>>
>> Am Dienstag, 17. Januar 2012, 18:32:21 schrieb Stefan Neufeind:
>>> Just wanted to try via IPv6. But it's not IPv6-enabled :-)
>>> Let's hope it will be until launch-day ...
>>
>> It was reachable via IPv6. After the ddos they switched to akamai, but they
>> still have problems.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Thomas
>


thomas at cis

Jan 17, 2012, 10:21 AM

Post #9 of 21 (3384 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

Am Dienstag, 17. Januar 2012, 19:03:16 schrieb Eric Vyncke (evyncke):
> Ddos or slashdotted?

The difference is only the intention. Effect is the same.

Regards,
Thomas


michael at rancid

Jan 17, 2012, 10:47 AM

Post #10 of 21 (3382 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

On 01/17/12 10:21, Thomas Schäfer wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 17. Januar 2012, 19:03:16 schrieb Eric Vyncke (evyncke):
>> Ddos or slashdotted?
>
> The difference is only the intention. Effect is the same.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas
>

Richard Jimmerson of ISOC did confirm on another mailing list that it
does appear to be a load issue:

"The announcement this morning generated significant traffic to this and
other Internet Society sites. We are working hard to restore services
and remain up under the load. Please check back again soon."

michael


berni at birkenwald

Jan 17, 2012, 11:54 PM

Post #11 of 21 (3365 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

Am 17.01.2012 18:59, schrieb Thomas Schäfer:
> Am Dienstag, 17. Januar 2012, 18:32:21 schrieb Stefan Neufeind:
>> Just wanted to try via IPv6. But it's not IPv6-enabled :-)
>> Let's hope it will be until launch-day ...
> It was reachable via IPv6. After the ddos they switched to akamai, but they
> still have problems.

Works now, but still IPv4 only. Isn't Akamai IPv6-capable today, on
request (just like http://www-dualstack.akamai.com) ?

Bernhard


jared at puck

Jan 18, 2012, 4:34 AM

Post #12 of 21 (3361 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

I'm guessing someone needs to throw that lever. Hopefully they can work together to make that happen!

I for one welcome this great news!

Can't wait for AT&T to deliver ipv6 at their attwifi ssid and to uverse customers as they are a banner supporter of this!

Jared Mauch

On Jan 18, 2012, at 2:54 AM, Bernhard Schmidt <berni [at] birkenwald> wrote:

> Am 17.01.2012 18:59, schrieb Thomas Schäfer:
>> Am Dienstag, 17. Januar 2012, 18:32:21 schrieb Stefan Neufeind:
>>> Just wanted to try via IPv6. But it's not IPv6-enabled :-)
>>> Let's hope it will be until launch-day ...
>> It was reachable via IPv6. After the ddos they switched to akamai, but they
>> still have problems.
>
> Works now, but still IPv4 only. Isn't Akamai IPv6-capable today, on request (just like http://www-dualstack.akamai.com) ?
>
> Bernhard


berni at birkenwald

Jan 18, 2012, 4:58 AM

Post #13 of 21 (3373 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

Am 18.01.2012 13:34, schrieb Jared Mauch:
> I'm guessing someone needs to throw that lever. Hopefully they can work together to make that happen!

Has AAAA now, but geolocation isn't working that great and the site is
broken for me. I think that's a layer7+ issue though.

traceroute to www.worldipv6launch.org (2600:1408:7::170f:871) from
2001:4ca0:0:f000:221:9bff:fe80:d1cd, port 33434, from port 53480, 30
hops max, 60 bytes packets
1 vl-23.vss1-2wr.lrz.de (2001:4ca0:0:f000::1) 0.517 ms
2 vl-3066.csr1-2wr.lrz.de (2001:4ca0:0:66::1) 0.572 ms
3 xr-gar1-pc110-108.x-win.dfn.de (2001:638:c:a003::1) 0.543 ms
4 zr-fra1-te0-7-0-1.x-win.dfn.de (2001:638:c:c043::2) 9.427 ms
5 xe-8-1-1.edge5.Frankfurt1.Level3.net (2001:1900:5:2:2::825) 9.114 ms
6 vl-70.edge3.Frankfurt1.Level3.net (2001:1900:104:6::8) 8.968 ms
7 vl-4060.edge4.Paris1.Level3.net (2001:1900:5:1::216) 18.257 ms
8 vl-4081.edge3.Paris1.Level3.net (2001:1900:5:1::12d) 18.824 ms
9 vl-4086.car1.Washington1.Level3.net (2001:1900:6:1::16) 100.074 ms
10 ae-1-4046.edge1.Washington12.Level3.net (2001:1900:4:1::3b1) 98.061 ms
11 mci-level3-40G.WashingtonDC12.Level3.net (2001:1900:4:3::126)
103.860 ms
12 2600:803:96f::16 (2600:803:96f::16) 107.448 ms
13 2600:803:96f::16 (2600:803:96f::16) 106.868 ms
14 2600:1408:7::170f:871 (2600:1408:7::170f:871) 105.083 ms

LRZ lxbsc02:~ (130) % curl -v www.worldipv6launch.org
* About to connect() to www.worldipv6launch.org port 80 (#0)
* Trying 2600:1408:7::170f:871... connected
* Connected to www.worldipv6launch.org (2600:1408:7::170f:871) port 80 (#0)
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> User-Agent: curl/7.21.6 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.21.6
OpenSSL/1.0.0e zlib/1.2.3.4 libidn/1.22 librtmp/2.3
> Host: www.worldipv6launch.org
> Accept: */*
>
[hangs here for a few minutes]

An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #97.b5080f17.1326891400.376e524

>From another site the geolocation is great, but it still hangs.

traceroute to www.worldipv6launch.org (2a02:26f0:3::5435:af08) from
2001:1b10:100:3::1:2, port 33434, from port 46729, 30 hops max, 60 byte
packets
1 backbone2-vl-15.teleport-iabg.de (2001:1b10:100:3::12) 0.474 ms
2 gi3-6-309.r1.muc3.m-online.net (2001:a60:0:201::1:1) 0.413 ms
3 r3.muc2.m-online.net (2001:a60::89:203) 0.825 ms
4 alpix-muc.netarch.akamai.com (2001:7f8:44::51cc:0:0) 0.993 ms
5 2a02:26f0:3::5435:af08 (2a02:26f0:3::5435:af08) 0.689 ms

Best Regards,
Bernhard


jared at puck

Jan 18, 2012, 5:31 AM

Post #14 of 21 (3390 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

It does seem to be working for me now.

puck:~$ curl -v http://www.worldipv6launch.org/
* About to connect() to www.worldipv6launch.org port 80 (#0)
* Trying 2600:1408:3:1::76d6:a43b... connected
* Connected to www.worldipv6launch.org (2600:1408:3:1::76d6:a43b) port 80 (#0)
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> User-Agent: curl/7.21.0 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.21.0 NSS/3.12.10.0 zlib/1.2.5 libidn/1.18 libssh2/1.2.4
> Host: www.worldipv6launch.org
> Accept: */*
>
< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< Server: Apache/2.2.16 (Debian)
< X-Powered-By: PHP/5.3.3-7+squeeze3
< X-Pingback: http://www.worldipv6launch.org/xmlrpc.php
< Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
< Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 13:30:56 GMT
< Content-Length: 16762
< Connection: keep-alive
<
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html dir="ltr" lang="en-US">
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8" />
<title>World IPv6 Launch</title>

- Jared

On Jan 18, 2012, at 7:58 AM, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:

> Am 18.01.2012 13:34, schrieb Jared Mauch:
>> I'm guessing someone needs to throw that lever. Hopefully they can work together to make that happen!
>
> Has AAAA now, but geolocation isn't working that great and the site is
> broken for me. I think that's a layer7+ issue though.
>
> traceroute to www.worldipv6launch.org (2600:1408:7::170f:871) from
> 2001:4ca0:0:f000:221:9bff:fe80:d1cd, port 33434, from port 53480, 30
> hops max, 60 bytes packets
> 1 vl-23.vss1-2wr.lrz.de (2001:4ca0:0:f000::1) 0.517 ms
> 2 vl-3066.csr1-2wr.lrz.de (2001:4ca0:0:66::1) 0.572 ms
> 3 xr-gar1-pc110-108.x-win.dfn.de (2001:638:c:a003::1) 0.543 ms
> 4 zr-fra1-te0-7-0-1.x-win.dfn.de (2001:638:c:c043::2) 9.427 ms
> 5 xe-8-1-1.edge5.Frankfurt1.Level3.net (2001:1900:5:2:2::825) 9.114 ms
> 6 vl-70.edge3.Frankfurt1.Level3.net (2001:1900:104:6::8) 8.968 ms
> 7 vl-4060.edge4.Paris1.Level3.net (2001:1900:5:1::216) 18.257 ms
> 8 vl-4081.edge3.Paris1.Level3.net (2001:1900:5:1::12d) 18.824 ms
> 9 vl-4086.car1.Washington1.Level3.net (2001:1900:6:1::16) 100.074 ms
> 10 ae-1-4046.edge1.Washington12.Level3.net (2001:1900:4:1::3b1) 98.061 ms
> 11 mci-level3-40G.WashingtonDC12.Level3.net (2001:1900:4:3::126)
> 103.860 ms
> 12 2600:803:96f::16 (2600:803:96f::16) 107.448 ms
> 13 2600:803:96f::16 (2600:803:96f::16) 106.868 ms
> 14 2600:1408:7::170f:871 (2600:1408:7::170f:871) 105.083 ms
>
> LRZ lxbsc02:~ (130) % curl -v www.worldipv6launch.org
> * About to connect() to www.worldipv6launch.org port 80 (#0)
> * Trying 2600:1408:7::170f:871... connected
> * Connected to www.worldipv6launch.org (2600:1408:7::170f:871) port 80 (#0)
>> GET / HTTP/1.1
>> User-Agent: curl/7.21.6 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.21.6
> OpenSSL/1.0.0e zlib/1.2.3.4 libidn/1.22 librtmp/2.3
>> Host: www.worldipv6launch.org
>> Accept: */*
>>
> [hangs here for a few minutes]
>
> An error occurred while processing your request.
>
> Reference #97.b5080f17.1326891400.376e524
>
>> From another site the geolocation is great, but it still hangs.
>
> traceroute to www.worldipv6launch.org (2a02:26f0:3::5435:af08) from
> 2001:1b10:100:3::1:2, port 33434, from port 46729, 30 hops max, 60 byte
> packets
> 1 backbone2-vl-15.teleport-iabg.de (2001:1b10:100:3::12) 0.474 ms
> 2 gi3-6-309.r1.muc3.m-online.net (2001:a60:0:201::1:1) 0.413 ms
> 3 r3.muc2.m-online.net (2001:a60::89:203) 0.825 ms
> 4 alpix-muc.netarch.akamai.com (2001:7f8:44::51cc:0:0) 0.993 ms
> 5 2a02:26f0:3::5435:af08 (2a02:26f0:3::5435:af08) 0.689 ms
>
> Best Regards,
> Bernhard


berni at birkenwald

Jan 18, 2012, 5:47 AM

Post #15 of 21 (3363 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

Am 18.01.2012 14:31, schrieb Jared Mauch:

> It does seem to be working for me now.

Me too

Routing is a bit weird, the website CNAMEs to a1448.dscb.akamai.net.
Depending on the akamai.net server I query I get different sets of
nameservers for dscb.akamai.net, a[0-7].dscb.akamai.net and
n[0-7].dscb.akamai.net. The a*-servers consistently send me across the
atlantic, the n*-servers would send me to Frankfurt. Which would be
almost as good as IPv4, but my resolvers consistently choose the
north-american route.

But it's usable, thanks to Akamai for doing the switch!

Bernhard


jared at puck

Jan 18, 2012, 5:54 AM

Post #16 of 21 (3369 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

On Jan 18, 2012, at 8:47 AM, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:

> Me too
>
> Routing is a bit weird, the website CNAMEs to a1448.dscb.akamai.net.
> Depending on the akamai.net server I query I get different sets of
> nameservers for dscb.akamai.net, a[0-7].dscb.akamai.net and
> n[0-7].dscb.akamai.net. The a*-servers consistently send me across the
> atlantic, the n*-servers would send me to Frankfurt. Which would be
> almost as good as IPv4, but my resolvers consistently choose the
> north-american route.
>
> But it's usable, thanks to Akamai for doing the switch!

I suspect that the various CDNs don't have quite the intelligence built
into the systems for the IPv6 localization. I figure this is due to their
smaller sample size of IPv6 performance data as well as the fact you can
have a large prefix covering a broad swath of space. I know carriers
with a single block covering all of their ARIN space it would be hard to
localize queries to east/west/north/south regions.

- Jared


v.soldatov at best-telecom

Jan 18, 2012, 6:05 AM

Post #17 of 21 (3385 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

Hello,

dig -4 www.worldipv6launch.org aaaa ---- works fine and returns
;; ANSWER SECTION:
......
a1448.dscb.akamai.net. 20 IN AAAA 2001:450:2002:320::40d1:4d29
a1448.dscb.akamai.net. 20 IN AAAA 2001:450:2002:320::40d1:4d18


But
dig -6 www.worldipv6launch.org aaaa --- does not work..

;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached



Valery So


marc.blanchet at viagenie

Jan 18, 2012, 9:39 AM

Post #18 of 21 (3378 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

Le 2012-01-18 08:54, Jared Mauch a crit :

>
> On Jan 18, 2012, at 8:47 AM, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Me too
>>
>> Routing is a bit weird, the website CNAMEs to a1448.dscb.akamai.net.
>> Depending on the akamai.net server I query I get different sets of
>> nameservers for dscb.akamai.net, a[0-7].dscb.akamai.net and
>> n[0-7].dscb.akamai.net. The a*-servers consistently send me across the
>> atlantic, the n*-servers would send me to Frankfurt. Which would be
>> almost as good as IPv4, but my resolvers consistently choose the
>> north-american route.
>>
>> But it's usable, thanks to Akamai for doing the switch!
>
> I suspect that the various CDNs don't have quite the intelligence built
> into the systems for the IPv6 localization. I figure this is due to their
> smaller sample size of IPv6 performance data as well as the fact you can
> have a large prefix covering a broad swath of space. I know carriers
> with a single block covering all of their ARIN space it would be hard to
> localize queries to east/west/north/south regions.

but that intelligence can be grown to be more precise. as a /8 is not enough precise. So I agree that right now the data is probably not great, but it could be improved right away if they do their job.

Marc.

>
> - Jared


jared at puck

Jan 18, 2012, 9:49 AM

Post #19 of 21 (3369 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

On Jan 18, 2012, at 9:05 AM, Валерий Солдатов wrote:

> But
> dig -6 www.worldipv6launch.org aaaa --- does not work..
>
> ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

This appears to be that the edgesuite.net name servers do not have AAAA records so one must depend on an IPv4 stub to operate. May this get easier as time passes.

I'm trying to remind vendors to think "IPv6 First". I do hope this helps initiate a sea-change at carriers and vendors about the importance of supporting the technology, including in-house.

- Jared


ignatios at cs

Jan 18, 2012, 11:25 PM

Post #20 of 21 (3396 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 01:58:06PM +0100, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:

> traceroute to www.worldipv6launch.org (2a02:26f0:3::5435:af08) from
> 2001:1b10:100:3::1:2, port 33434, from port 46729, 30 hops max, 60 byte
> packets
> 1 backbone2-vl-15.teleport-iabg.de (2001:1b10:100:3::12) 0.474 ms
> 2 gi3-6-309.r1.muc3.m-online.net (2001:a60:0:201::1:1) 0.413 ms
> 3 r3.muc2.m-online.net (2001:a60::89:203) 0.825 ms
> 4 alpix-muc.netarch.akamai.com (2001:7f8:44::51cc:0:0) 0.993 ms
> 5 2a02:26f0:3::5435:af08 (2a02:26f0:3::5435:af08) 0.689 ms

traceroute: Warning: www.worldipv6launch.org has multiple addresses; using 2001:638:a:2::d4c9:6496
traceroute: Warning: Multiple interfaces found; using 2001:638:403:5050:214:4fff:feb0:102e @ bge0:1
traceroute to www.worldipv6launch.org (2001:638:a:2::d4c9:6496), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 theory (2001:638:403:5050::d3) 0.382 ms 0.354 ms 0.372 ms
2 ipv6-rhrz2informatik-tun3.rhrz.uni-bonn.de (2001:638:403:f01::1) 1.977 ms 2.000 ms 1.941 ms
3 2001:638:c:a014::1 2.351 ms 1.942 ms 2.518 ms
4 zr-fra1-te0-7-0-5.x-win.dfn.de (2001:638:c:c037::2) 5.660 ms 4.761 ms 4.855 ms
5 zr-han1-te0-0-0-1.x-win.dfn.de (2001:638:c:c003::2) 16.702 ms 16.235 ms 16.315 ms
6 2001:638:a:2::d4c9:6496 15.944 ms 16.503 ms 16.133 ms

>From home:

marie 101% traceroute6 www.worldipv6launch.org
traceroute6: Warning: a1448.dscb.akamai.net has multiple addresses; using 2a02:26f0:5::5f64:f983
traceroute6 to a1448.dscb.akamai.net (2a02:26f0:5::5f64:f983) from 2001:1a50:5031:77::25, 64 hops max, 12 byte packets
1 netgw 4.306 ms 3.714 ms 3.692 ms
2 dsl.access.rh-tec.net 95.278 ms 75.052 ms 73.343 ms
3 vl-8.cr0.fra3.de.rh-tec.net 73.617 ms 90.161 ms 75.288 ms
4 20gigabitethernet4-3.core1.fra1.he.net 74.714 ms 77.692 ms 82.861 ms
5 bbr1.fra3.de.v6.inetbone.net 79.991 ms 88.513 ms 76.371 ms
6 bbr1.dus1.mesh.eu 81.596 ms 88.027 ms 78.392 ms
7 ve1344.edge1-dus4.mesh.eu 79.716 ms 81.836 ms 69.617 ms
8 2a00:e10:1000:16::2 81.998 ms 81.672 ms 80.31 ms
9 2a02:26f0:5::5f64:f983 80.971 ms 80.973 ms 80.709 ms

>From a colocated server:

(una:~) ignatios% traceroute -6 www.worldipv6launch.org
traceroute to www.worldipv6launch.org (2a02:26f0:5::5f64:f983), 30 hops max, 80 byte packets
1 * * 2001:4ba0:fff8:1:beef::1 (2001:4ba0:fff8:1:beef::1) 0.916 ms
2 lcgw-dus2.dus1-de.v6.myloc.de (2001:4ba0:dead:b00b::1) 0.915 ms 0.982 ms 1.013 ms
3 wangw-fdip1.fra1-de.v6.myloc.de (2001:4ba0:dead:cafe::2) 3.907 ms 4.609 ms 4.604 ms
4 bbr1.fra3.de.v6.inetbone.net (2001:7f8::61f2:0:1) 5.358 ms 5.353 ms 5.343 ms
5 bbr1.dus1.mesh.eu (2a00:e10:0:1::1) 9.274 ms 9.248 ms 9.249 ms
6 ve1344.edge1-dus4.mesh.eu (2a00:e10:0:d::2) 9.328 ms 8.857 ms 8.838 ms
7 2a00:e10:1000:16::2 (2a00:e10:1000:16::2) 8.872 ms 8.835 ms 9.331 ms
8 2a02:26f0:5::5f64:f983 (2a02:26f0:5::5f64:f983) 8.832 ms 9.040 ms 8.470 ms

Not bad, all of them.

-is


berni at birkenwald

Jan 19, 2012, 1:50 AM

Post #21 of 21 (3384 views)
Permalink
Re: World IPv6 Launch, June 6th 2012 [In reply to]

On 19.01.2012 08:25, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

Hi,

> traceroute: Warning: www.worldipv6launch.org has multiple addresses; using 2001:638:a:2::d4c9:6496
> traceroute: Warning: Multiple interfaces found; using 2001:638:403:5050:214:4fff:feb0:102e @ bge0:1
> traceroute to www.worldipv6launch.org (2001:638:a:2::d4c9:6496), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
> 1 theory (2001:638:403:5050::d3) 0.382 ms 0.354 ms 0.372 ms
> 2 ipv6-rhrz2informatik-tun3.rhrz.uni-bonn.de (2001:638:403:f01::1) 1.977 ms 2.000 ms 1.941 ms
> 3 2001:638:c:a014::1 2.351 ms 1.942 ms 2.518 ms
> 4 zr-fra1-te0-7-0-5.x-win.dfn.de (2001:638:c:c037::2) 5.660 ms 4.761 ms 4.855 ms
> 5 zr-han1-te0-0-0-1.x-win.dfn.de (2001:638:c:c003::2) 16.702 ms 16.235 ms 16.315 ms
> 6 2001:638:a:2::d4c9:6496 15.944 ms 16.503 ms 16.133 ms

Yeah ... LRZ also got "fixed" during the night.

1 vl-23.vss1-2wr.lrz.de (2001:4ca0:0:f000::1) 0.556 ms
2 vl-3066.csr1-2wr.lrz.de (2001:4ca0:0:66::1) 87.853 ms
3 xr-gar1-pc110-108.x-win.dfn.de (2001:638:c:a003::1) 0.787 ms
4 zr-fra1-te0-7-0-1.x-win.dfn.de (2001:638:c:c043::2) 10.048 ms
5 decix-fra6.netarch.akamai.com (2001:7f8::51cc:0:28) 14.037 ms
6 2a02:26f0:11:1::214:b53a (2a02:26f0:11:1::214:b53a) 10.655 ms

Interestingly we go through the same router at DFN, but you are sent to
the far(er)-away but on-net node in the DFN network while we're sent to
the closer but off-net DE-CIX node. DNS-based CDN sure has it's flaws :-)

http://noc.birkenwald.de/smokeping/smokeping.cgi?filter=akamai;target=World.akamai

Bernhard

nsp ipv6 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.