Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: nsp: ipv6

DHCPv6 still feared and hated at Apple?, was Re: Mac OSX 10.7from Sabrina

 

 

nsp ipv6 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


utebachmeier at gmail

Aug 18, 2011, 1:22 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1428 views)
Permalink
DHCPv6 still feared and hated at Apple?, was Re: Mac OSX 10.7from Sabrina

On 07/22/11 09:18, Sander Steffann wrote:
>>> It does use DHCPv6, but only if the RA has the O or M flag set.
>>
>> right. per RFC... ;-)
>
> Since not all DHCPv6 implementation actually listen to the RA I thought I should point it out ;)
> Sander
>

Sorry to come late to this thread, but I did some testing with a
freshly-installed copy of Lion (clean install, not upgrade). DHCPv6
does work as expected as you mention. I also noticed that
privacy/temporary SLAAC addresses are enabled by default. Anyone else
seeing that?

Tonight, I am going to test the behavior when I turn off the autoconfig
flag on the prefix announcements. (I am doing the testing on my home
network.)

Will look forward to Marc's blog entry when it comes out. :)

michael


Sabrina Friedman
Billige Flüge Marketing GmbH
Emanuelstr. 3,
10317 Berlin
Deutschland
Telefon: +49 (33) 5310967
Email: utebachmeier [at] gmail
Site: http://flug.airego.de - Billige Flüge vergleichen


tjc at ecs

Aug 19, 2011, 3:36 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1359 views)
Permalink
Re: DHCPv6 still feared and hated at Apple?, was Re: Mac OSX 10.7from Sabrina [In reply to]

On 18 Aug 2011, at 21:22, Sabrina Friedman wrote:

> On 07/22/11 09:18, Sander Steffann wrote:
>>>> It does use DHCPv6, but only if the RA has the O or M flag set.
>>>
>>> right. per RFC... ;-)
>>
>> Since not all DHCPv6 implementation actually listen to the RA I thought I should point it out ;)
>> Sander
>>
>
> Sorry to come late to this thread, but I did some testing with a
> freshly-installed copy of Lion (clean install, not upgrade). DHCPv6
> does work as expected as you mention. I also noticed that
> privacy/temporary SLAAC addresses are enabled by default. Anyone else
> seeing that?

That is the case.

The recent changes seem to be focused on OS X working well when IPv6-only, and the addition of DHCPv6 for DNS resolver discovery was very welcome in Lion. I was able to run pretty much the whole recent IETF meeting on the IPv6-only SSID, given my university resources (mail, web etc) are available over IPv6, as are the IETF's and many associated sites, and all that is searchable via Google over v6. Quite a good way to focus on work actually, though Google+ is available over IPv6.

The same applies to iOS and the iPhone, which also has DHCPv6 support.

Tim


prox at prolixium

Aug 20, 2011, 1:18 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1347 views)
Permalink
Re: DHCPv6 still feared and hated at Apple?, was Re: Mac OSX 10.7from Sabrina [In reply to]

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:22:31PM +0300, Sabrina Friedman wrote:
> Sorry to come late to this thread, but I did some testing with a
> freshly-installed copy of Lion (clean install, not upgrade). DHCPv6
> does work as expected as you mention. I also noticed that
> privacy/temporary SLAAC addresses are enabled by default. Anyone else
> seeing that?

Indeed, and I can see this causing problems in certain environments,
such as enterprise networks. Doing the following:

% sudo sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.use_tempaddr=0

... disables it. Originally this didn't work for me running 10.7.0, but
it seems to work correctly on 10.7.1. The temporary addresses are still
there after I set the sysctl, but they're not used for outgoing
connections anymore. I suspect they'll be purged after the lifetimes
expire. Although, I'm not sure how to set this on boot, since
/etc/sysctl.conf doesn't exist on OS X. A hacky rc.local script would
probably work, but there's got to be a better way.

- Mark

--
Mark Kamichoff
prox [at] prolixium
http://www.prolixium.com/
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)


bzeeb-lists at lists

Aug 20, 2011, 1:24 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1352 views)
Permalink
Re: DHCPv6 still feared and hated at Apple?, was Re: Mac OSX 10.7from Sabrina [In reply to]

On Aug 20, 2011, at 8:18 PM, Mark Kamichoff wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:22:31PM +0300, Sabrina Friedman wrote:
>> Sorry to come late to this thread, but I did some testing with a
>> freshly-installed copy of Lion (clean install, not upgrade). DHCPv6
>> does work as expected as you mention. I also noticed that
>> privacy/temporary SLAAC addresses are enabled by default. Anyone else
>> seeing that?
>
> Indeed, and I can see this causing problems in certain environments,
> such as enterprise networks. Doing the following:
>
> % sudo sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.use_tempaddr=0
>
> ... disables it. Originally this didn't work for me running 10.7.0, but
> it seems to work correctly on 10.7.1. The temporary addresses are still
> there after I set the sysctl, but they're not used for outgoing
> connections anymore. I suspect they'll be purged after the lifetimes
> expire. Although, I'm not sure how to set this on boot, since
> /etc/sysctl.conf doesn't exist on OS X.

Create it.

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb You have to have visions!
Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.


prox at prolixium

Aug 20, 2011, 1:28 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1345 views)
Permalink
Re: DHCPv6 still feared and hated at Apple?, was Re: Mac OSX 10.7from Sabrina [In reply to]

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 08:24:01PM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> On Aug 20, 2011, at 8:18 PM, Mark Kamichoff wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:22:31PM +0300, Sabrina Friedman wrote:
> >> Sorry to come late to this thread, but I did some testing with a
> >> freshly-installed copy of Lion (clean install, not upgrade).
> >> DHCPv6 does work as expected as you mention. I also noticed that
> >> privacy/temporary SLAAC addresses are enabled by default. Anyone
> >> else seeing that?
> >
> > Indeed, and I can see this causing problems in certain environments,
> > such as enterprise networks. Doing the following:
> >
> > % sudo sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.use_tempaddr=0
> >
> > ... disables it. Originally this didn't work for me running 10.7.0,
> > but it seems to work correctly on 10.7.1. The temporary addresses
> > are still there after I set the sysctl, but they're not used for
> > outgoing connections anymore. I suspect they'll be purged after the
> > lifetimes expire. Although, I'm not sure how to set this on boot,
> > since /etc/sysctl.conf doesn't exist on OS X.
>
> Create it.

Huh, I just assumed its lack of existence was an indication that it
would be ignored if created. Apparently this is not the case, thanks!

- Mark

--
Mark Kamichoff
prox [at] prolixium
http://www.prolixium.com/
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

nsp ipv6 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.