Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: nsp: ipv6

6RD CPE

 

 

nsp ipv6 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


swmike at swm

Jan 10, 2011, 5:09 AM

Post #1 of 21 (4077 views)
Permalink
6RD CPE

Is there a residential broadband (pricewise) CPE that is commercially
available to the average end user that will do 6RD? I'm looking for two
models with either ADSL2+ or ethernet WAN ports (our two main access
techniques).

This needs to be done without custom firmware, so homebrew OpenWRT etc
doesn't cut it. Customer needs to be able to go to the store, configure it
like a normal NAT gateway, but it should also support 6RD and the customer
just inputs our 6RD gateway and prefix, and things should just work.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: swmike [at] swm


mchlist at xs4all

Jan 10, 2011, 5:14 AM

Post #2 of 21 (4003 views)
Permalink
Re: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

On Jan 10, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

>
> Is there a residential broadband (pricewise) CPE that is commercially available to the average end user that will do 6RD? I'm looking for two models with either ADSL2+ or ethernet WAN ports (our two main access techniques).

According to the comments on http://labs.ripe.net/Members/mirjam/ipv6-cpe-survey-updated-september-2010/ there are a couple of D-link devices which support it. I also heard rumors about the AVM box, but haven't been able to verify that yet.

Grtx,

Marco


thomas at cis

Jan 10, 2011, 5:21 AM

Post #3 of 21 (4012 views)
Permalink
Re: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

Am 10.01.2011 14:09, schrieb Mikael Abrahamsson:
>
> Is there a residential broadband (pricewise) CPE that is commercially
> available to the average end user that will do 6RD? I'm looking for two
> models with either ADSL2+ or ethernet WAN ports (our two main access
> techniques).
>
> This needs to be done without custom firmware, so homebrew OpenWRT etc
> doesn't cut it. Customer needs to be able to go to the store, configure
> it like a normal NAT gateway, but it should also support 6RD and the
> customer just inputs our 6RD gateway and prefix, and things should just
> work.
>

Take one of the Fritzboxes by AVM.

3270, 7240, 7270, 7320, 3790 and may be more.


This is no beta/labor anymore. Just use the built in update function.


Regards,

Thomas Schäfer



--

There’s no place like ::1

Thomas Schäfer (Systemverwaltung)
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität
Centrum für Informations- und Sprachverarbeitung
Schellingstraße 10 Raum J407A
80799 München ☎ +49/89/2180-9706 ℻ +49/89/2180-9701


thomas at cis

Jan 10, 2011, 5:29 AM

Post #4 of 21 (4016 views)
Permalink
Re: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

Am 10.01.2011 14:21, schrieb Thomas Schäfer:

>
> Take one of the Fritzboxes by AVM.
>
> 3270, 7240, 7270, 7320, 3790 and may be more.
>

These are the german versions, where I know they support IPv6 and some
tunnels like 6RD.

The multilingual/international versions may differ. Sorry for the
incorrectness.


Regards,
Thomas





--

There’s no place like ::1

Thomas Schäfer (Systemverwaltung)
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität
Centrum für Informations- und Sprachverarbeitung
Schellingstraße 10 Raum J407A
80799 München ☎ +49/89/2180-9706 ℻ +49/89/2180-9701


mir at ripe

Jan 10, 2011, 5:42 AM

Post #5 of 21 (4004 views)
Permalink
Re: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

Mikael,

Please also see the IPv6 CPE Survey on RIPE Labs:

http://labs.ripe.net/Members/mirjam/ipv6-cpe-survey-updated-september-2010

We received new information in the meantime and will publish a new
version soon. The most current version is always linked from here:

http://labs.ripe.net/Members/mirjam/ipv6-cpe-surveys

Kind Regards,
Mirjam Kuehne


Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>
> Is there a residential broadband (pricewise) CPE that is commercially
> available to the average end user that will do 6RD? I'm looking for two
> models with either ADSL2+ or ethernet WAN ports (our two main access
> techniques).
>
> This needs to be done without custom firmware, so homebrew OpenWRT etc
> doesn't cut it. Customer needs to be able to go to the store, configure
> it like a normal NAT gateway, but it should also support 6RD and the
> customer just inputs our 6RD gateway and prefix, and things should just
> work.
>


thomas at cis

Jan 10, 2011, 5:49 AM

Post #6 of 21 (4009 views)
Permalink
Re: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

One (german) screenshot is here:

http://www.cis.uni-muenchen.de/~thomas/fritzbox-avm-6rd.png

Regards,
Thomas




--

There’s no place like ::1

Thomas Schäfer (Systemverwaltung)
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität
Centrum für Informations- und Sprachverarbeitung
Schellingstraße 10 Raum J407A
80799 München ☎ +49/89/2180-9706 ℻ +49/89/2180-9701


otroan at employees

Jan 10, 2011, 5:52 AM

Post #7 of 21 (4012 views)
Permalink
Re: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

> One (german) screenshot is here:
>
> http://www.cis.uni-muenchen.de/~thomas/fritzbox-avm-6rd.png

that screenshot seems to indicate that 6rd isn't fully supported.
just the 6to4 subset of it.

cheers,
Ole


swmike at swm

Jan 10, 2011, 7:39 AM

Post #8 of 21 (4007 views)
Permalink
Re: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Ole Troan wrote:

>> One (german) screenshot is here:
>>
>> http://www.cis.uni-muenchen.de/~thomas/fritzbox-avm-6rd.png
>
> that screenshot seems to indicate that 6rd isn't fully supported.
> just the 6to4 subset of it.

Well, if you can change th v4 and v6 prefixes (as the GUI seems to
indicate) then it should work.

I'll look into the fritzboxes...

--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: swmike [at] swm


swmike at swm

Jan 10, 2011, 7:52 AM

Post #9 of 21 (4002 views)
Permalink
Re: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Thomas Schäfer wrote:

> Take one of the Fritzboxes by AVM.
>
> 3270, 7240, 7270, 7320, 3790 and may be more.

Thanks.

Looking at AVM homepage, I am unable to find any product with ethernet WAN
port, they all seem to be ADSL2+/VDSL/cable?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: swmike [at] swm


jesusr at voztele

Jan 10, 2011, 7:54 AM

Post #10 of 21 (4006 views)
Permalink
Re: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

Hello,

El 10/01/2011, a las 16:52, Mikael Abrahamsson escribi:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Thomas Schfer wrote:
>
>> Take one of the Fritzboxes by AVM.
>>
>> 3270, 7240, 7270, 7320, 3790 and may be more.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Looking at AVM homepage, I am unable to find any product with ethernet WAN port, they all seem to be ADSL2+/VDSL/cable?


You can use ethernet "LAN1" interface as WAN port and LAN2, 3 and 4 as LAN ports.

Regards.

JesusR.


matthias.cramer at iway

Jan 10, 2011, 7:59 AM

Post #11 of 21 (4008 views)
Permalink
Re: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

Hi Mikael

You can user all of them as Ethernet Routers. Switching the first lan
port to wan in the web frontend.

Regards

Matthias

On 01/10/2011 04:52 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Thomas Schäfer wrote:
>
>> Take one of the Fritzboxes by AVM.
>>
>> 3270, 7240, 7270, 7320, 3790 and may be more.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Looking at AVM homepage, I am unable to find any product with ethernet
> WAN port, they all seem to be ADSL2+/VDSL/cable?
>

--
Matthias Cramer / mc322-ripe Senior Network & Security Engineer
iway AG Phone +41 43 500 1111
Badenerstrasse 569 Fax +41 44 271 3535
CH-8048 Zürich http://www.iway.ch/
GnuPG 1024D/2D208250 = DBC6 65B6 7083 1029 781E 3959 B62F DF1C 2D20 8250


swmike at swm

Jan 10, 2011, 8:02 AM

Post #12 of 21 (4007 views)
Permalink
Re: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Jesus Rodriguez wrote:

> You can use ethernet "LAN1" interface as WAN port and LAN2, 3 and 4 as
> LAN ports.

Thank you (and Matthias) for the info, will definitely try to procure one
of these for testing then!

--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: swmike [at] swm


dr at cluenet

Jan 10, 2011, 10:10 AM

Post #13 of 21 (4002 views)
Permalink
Re: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 02:52:31PM +0100, Ole Troan wrote:
> that screenshot seems to indicate that 6rd isn't fully supported.
> just the 6to4 subset of it.

They currently support only full 32bit IPv4 into IPv6 mapping. They do
not support mapping smaller portions of the IPv4 address space.

I'm talking to them about exactly that as I ran into problem in lab.
As the 6RD RFC only talks about full 32bit IPv4 mapping, is there any
draft making that more flexible?

Best regards,
Daniel

--
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: dr [at] cluenet -- dr [at] IRCne -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0


otroan at employees

Jan 10, 2011, 12:08 PM

Post #14 of 21 (3988 views)
Permalink
Re: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

>> that screenshot seems to indicate that 6rd isn't fully supported.
>> just the 6to4 subset of it.
>
> They currently support only full 32bit IPv4 into IPv6 mapping. They do
> not support mapping smaller portions of the IPv4 address space.
>
> I'm talking to them about exactly that as I ran into problem in lab.
> As the 6RD RFC only talks about full 32bit IPv4 mapping, is there any
> draft making that more flexible?

RFC5969.

cheers,
Ole


tedm at ipinc

Jan 10, 2011, 12:27 PM

Post #15 of 21 (3990 views)
Permalink
Re: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

On 1/10/2011 5:09 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>
> Is there a residential broadband (pricewise) CPE that is commercially
> available to the average end user that will do 6RD? I'm looking for two
> models with either ADSL2+ or ethernet WAN ports (our two main access
> techniques).
>
> This needs to be done without custom firmware, so homebrew OpenWRT etc
> doesn't cut it. Customer needs to be able to go to the store, configure
> it like a normal NAT gateway, but it should also support 6RD and the
> customer just inputs our 6RD gateway and prefix, and things should just
> work.
>

According to the blog here:


http://labs.ripe.net/Members/mirjam/ipv6-cpe-survey-updated-september-2010

D-Link 6RD support, "vendor" status
Posted by Hans at 20 December 2010 04:06
The following Model/Firmware will support 6rd.

DIR652 Rev.A1 v1.03
DIR825 Rev.B1 v2.06
DIR615 Rev.Ex v5.12
DIR632 Rev.A1 v1.03
DIR601 Rev.A1 v1.03
DIR655 Rev.B1 v2.02


dr at cluenet

Jan 10, 2011, 12:42 PM

Post #16 of 21 (3979 views)
Permalink
Re: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 09:08:59PM +0100, Ole Troan wrote:
> > As the 6RD RFC only talks about full 32bit IPv4 mapping, is there any
> > draft making that more flexible?
>
> RFC5969.

OK, I made the mistake of taking claims for granted without confirming
in the RFC myself. :-)


Best regards,
Daniel

--
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: dr [at] cluenet -- dr [at] IRCne -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0


mohacsi at niif

Jan 11, 2011, 12:17 AM

Post #17 of 21 (3992 views)
Permalink
Re: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> On 1/10/2011 5:09 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>>
>> Is there a residential broadband (pricewise) CPE that is commercially
>> available to the average end user that will do 6RD? I'm looking for two
>> models with either ADSL2+ or ethernet WAN ports (our two main access
>> techniques).
>>
>> This needs to be done without custom firmware, so homebrew OpenWRT etc
>> doesn't cut it. Customer needs to be able to go to the store, configure
>> it like a normal NAT gateway, but it should also support 6RD and the
>> customer just inputs our 6RD gateway and prefix, and things should just
>> work.
>>
>
> According to the blog here:
>
>
> http://labs.ripe.net/Members/mirjam/ipv6-cpe-survey-updated-september-2010
>
> D-Link 6RD support, "vendor" status
> Posted by Hans at 20 December 2010 04:06
> The following Model/Firmware will support 6rd.
>
> DIR652 Rev.A1 v1.03
> DIR825 Rev.B1 v2.06
> DIR615 Rev.Ex v5.12
> DIR632 Rev.A1 v1.03
> DIR601 Rev.A1 v1.03
> DIR655 Rev.B1 v2.02

However these boxes (with indicated revisions) or software releases are
not generally available.

Best Regards,
Janos Mohacsi


tedm at ipinc

Jan 11, 2011, 1:40 PM

Post #18 of 21 (3973 views)
Permalink
Re: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

On 1/11/2011 12:17 AM, Mohacsi Janos wrote:
>
>
>
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
>> On 1/10/2011 5:09 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a residential broadband (pricewise) CPE that is commercially
>>> available to the average end user that will do 6RD? I'm looking for two
>>> models with either ADSL2+ or ethernet WAN ports (our two main access
>>> techniques).
>>>
>>> This needs to be done without custom firmware, so homebrew OpenWRT etc
>>> doesn't cut it. Customer needs to be able to go to the store, configure
>>> it like a normal NAT gateway, but it should also support 6RD and the
>>> customer just inputs our 6RD gateway and prefix, and things should just
>>> work.
>>>
>>
>> According to the blog here:
>>
>>
>> http://labs.ripe.net/Members/mirjam/ipv6-cpe-survey-updated-september-2010
>>
>>
>> D-Link 6RD support, "vendor" status
>> Posted by Hans at 20 December 2010 04:06
>> The following Model/Firmware will support 6rd.
>>
>> DIR652 Rev.A1 v1.03
>> DIR825 Rev.B1 v2.06
>> DIR615 Rev.Ex v5.12
>> DIR632 Rev.A1 v1.03
>> DIR601 Rev.A1 v1.03
>> DIR655 Rev.B1 v2.02
>
> However these boxes (with indicated revisions) or software releases are
> not generally available.
>
> Best Regards,
> Janos Mohacsi

I strongly advise anybody playing with IPv6 on a consumer CPE to
familiarize yourself with the www.dd-wrt.com router database
website even if you never plan on running their firmware. The
reason is their router database tells you what is really in the
boxes since they take them apart.

According to that site:

DIR825 hardware version B1 & B2 use the same chip (AR7161) and have the
same amount of ram and flash

DIR 615 all rev E versions have same chip and flash and dram

It would not be sensible or logical for D-link to rewrite a new
firmware for different versions when the versions are the same
architecture.

I have not known D-link to withdraw support for a feature in a newer
hardware rev of a model. The worst you might get would be a newer
firmware having a bug that wasn't in an older firmware, and because
of that it would be fixed if made known to d-link

DIR 652,632,601,655 are not possible and for that reason alone I would
disqualify them even from testing - since if the factory firmware is
crap, they are doorstops

I personally have a DIR615 C1 running under dd-wrt. I can report that
the factory firmware lies down and dies if you look at it funny. The
dd-wrt firmware works a lot better but the router still locks up if
there's a lot of traffic on it. However, this router uses a different
chip than the later hardware revs. and based on it's performance under
dd-wrt the hardware clearly has a bug in it. For $20 which is what it
cost me new, what do you expect?


Ted


frnkblk at iname

Jan 12, 2011, 8:10 PM

Post #19 of 21 (4036 views)
Permalink
RE: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

A D-Link employee told me that their latest firmware revs for the DIR-615
are for hardware rev E and later. He didn't say they wouldn't backport the
improvements to previous hardware revs, but that would be atypical of a
SOHO/consumer CPE vendor to do that.

Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: ipv6-ops-bounces+frnkblk=iname.com [at] lists
[mailto:ipv6-ops-bounces+frnkblk=iname.com [at] lists] On Behalf Of
Ted Mittelstaedt
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:40 PM
To: Mohacsi Janos
Cc: ipv6-ops [at] lists
Subject: Re: 6RD CPE

On 1/11/2011 12:17 AM, Mohacsi Janos wrote:
>
>
>
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
>> On 1/10/2011 5:09 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a residential broadband (pricewise) CPE that is commercially
>>> available to the average end user that will do 6RD? I'm looking for two
>>> models with either ADSL2+ or ethernet WAN ports (our two main access
>>> techniques).
>>>
>>> This needs to be done without custom firmware, so homebrew OpenWRT etc
>>> doesn't cut it. Customer needs to be able to go to the store, configure
>>> it like a normal NAT gateway, but it should also support 6RD and the
>>> customer just inputs our 6RD gateway and prefix, and things should just
>>> work.
>>>
>>
>> According to the blog here:
>>
>>
>>
http://labs.ripe.net/Members/mirjam/ipv6-cpe-survey-updated-september-2010
>>
>>
>> D-Link 6RD support, "vendor" status
>> Posted by Hans at 20 December 2010 04:06
>> The following Model/Firmware will support 6rd.
>>
>> DIR652 Rev.A1 v1.03
>> DIR825 Rev.B1 v2.06
>> DIR615 Rev.Ex v5.12
>> DIR632 Rev.A1 v1.03
>> DIR601 Rev.A1 v1.03
>> DIR655 Rev.B1 v2.02
>
> However these boxes (with indicated revisions) or software releases are
> not generally available.
>
> Best Regards,
> Janos Mohacsi

I strongly advise anybody playing with IPv6 on a consumer CPE to
familiarize yourself with the www.dd-wrt.com router database
website even if you never plan on running their firmware. The
reason is their router database tells you what is really in the
boxes since they take them apart.

According to that site:

DIR825 hardware version B1 & B2 use the same chip (AR7161) and have the
same amount of ram and flash

DIR 615 all rev E versions have same chip and flash and dram

It would not be sensible or logical for D-link to rewrite a new
firmware for different versions when the versions are the same
architecture.

I have not known D-link to withdraw support for a feature in a newer
hardware rev of a model. The worst you might get would be a newer
firmware having a bug that wasn't in an older firmware, and because
of that it would be fixed if made known to d-link

DIR 652,632,601,655 are not possible and for that reason alone I would
disqualify them even from testing - since if the factory firmware is
crap, they are doorstops

I personally have a DIR615 C1 running under dd-wrt. I can report that
the factory firmware lies down and dies if you look at it funny. The
dd-wrt firmware works a lot better but the router still locks up if
there's a lot of traffic on it. However, this router uses a different
chip than the later hardware revs. and based on it's performance under
dd-wrt the hardware clearly has a bug in it. For $20 which is what it
cost me new, what do you expect?


Ted


swmike at swm

Mar 21, 2011, 11:29 AM

Post #20 of 21 (3395 views)
Permalink
Re: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

I can add that the DIR-815 works just fine with the factory firmware.

I have so far tested 6RD (works fine) and regular SLAAC+DHCPv6 and it
grabs itself a prefix via PD and assigns just fine to its LAN interface.

I'm going to do some more in-depth testing but the basic functionality
seems to be there and working.

Just like Windows Vista/Win7 it doesn't send an RAs with 0 lifetime before
it reboots or reconfigures itself so all clients are left hanging.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: swmike [at] swm


cstahl at netcologne

Mar 25, 2011, 4:45 AM

Post #21 of 21 (3362 views)
Permalink
Re: 6RD CPE [In reply to]

The new beta firmware from AVM for Fritzbox 7270 and 7390 sports 6rd -
according to the release letter - I did not check on it, yet.

Am 10.01.2011 14:09, schrieb Mikael Abrahamsson:
>
> Is there a residential broadband (pricewise) CPE that is commercially
> available to the average end user that will do 6RD? I'm looking for
> two models with either ADSL2+ or ethernet WAN ports (our two main
> access techniques).
>
> This needs to be done without custom firmware, so homebrew OpenWRT etc
> doesn't cut it. Customer needs to be able to go to the store,
> configure it like a normal NAT gateway, but it should also support 6RD
> and the customer just inputs our 6RD gateway and prefix, and things
> should just work.
>

nsp ipv6 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.