Mailing List Archive: nsp: ipv6

Public IPv6 DNS Servers

nsp ipv6 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

tf at nextgentel

Dec 23, 2010, 4:40 PM

Public IPv6 DNS Servers

Hi guys!

As I was testing out Googles new free DNS server today, I noticed that it lacks IPv6 connectivity.

>From their FAQ;

Q: Does Google Public DNS support IPv6?
A: Google Public DNS can respond to requests for IPv6 addresses (AAAA requests), but it does not yet support native IPv6 transport and cannot talk to IPv6-only authoritative nameservers. Clients should use IPv4 network connections to use Google Public DNS.

Are there others out there that may be reached via IPv6? Nice to have, when testing IPv6-only networks..

... or perhaps the Google Santa will bring us something? Who knows..

Seasonal greetings to all of you, and great work spreading the v6-love!

Best Regards,
Tord Førland
E-mail: tord.forland [at] gmail | Cell: (+47) 92424976

f.bauhaus at portrix-systems

Dec 24, 2010, 12:08 AM

Re: Public IPv6 DNS Servers [In reply to]

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 01:40:03 +0100
Tord Førland <tf [at] nextgentel> wrote:

> Are there others out there that may be reached via IPv6? Nice to
> have, when testing IPv6-only networks..

SixXS is offering some v6 only public DNS servers:
http://www.sixxs.net/tools/dnscache/

Best regards,
Florian

bruns at 2mbit

Dec 24, 2010, 12:20 AM

Re: Public IPv6 DNS Servers [In reply to]

I've also got several ones that I can enable access to, if you drop me a message offlist with the range you will be testing from.

They're dual stacked and pass ipv6 only dns server tests with flying colors.

(Yes, I know, top posting bad - can't help what the blackberry does)

Brielle

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org / http://www.ahbl.org

hlk at kramse

Dec 24, 2010, 2:03 AM

Re: Public IPv6 DNS Servers [In reply to]

On 24/12/2010, at 01.40, Tord Førland wrote:

> Hi guys!
>
> As I was testing out Googles new free DNS server today, I noticed that it lacks IPv6 connectivity.
>
>> From their FAQ;
>
> Q: Does Google Public DNS support IPv6?
> A: Google Public DNS can respond to requests for IPv6 addresses (AAAA requests), but it does not yet support native IPv6 transport and cannot talk to IPv6-only authoritative nameservers. Clients should use IPv4 network connections to use Google Public DNS.
>
> Are there others out there that may be reached via IPv6? Nice to have, when testing IPv6-only networks..

http://censurfridns.dk/

The service is provided to allow unrestricted, non-censorship DNS

Provides DNSSEC etc.

run by a friend of mine.

Best regards

Henrik

--
Henrik Lund Kramshøj, Follower of the Great Way of Unix
hlk [at] kramse hlk [at] solidonetworks

ayourtch at gmail

Dec 24, 2010, 2:56 AM

Re: Public IPv6 DNS Servers [In reply to]

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Florian Bauhaus
<f.bauhaus [at] portrix-systems> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 01:40:03 +0100
> Tord Førland <tf [at] nextgentel> wrote:
>
>> Are there others out there that may be reached via IPv6? Nice to
>> have, when testing IPv6-only networks..
>
> SixXS is offering some v6 only public DNS servers:
> http://www.sixxs.net/tools/dnscache/

Small caveat though: "This DNS Cache Service is available only to
users of SixXS address space."

cheers,
andrew

> Best regards,
> Florian

f.bauhaus at portrix-systems

Dec 24, 2010, 3:05 AM

Re: Public IPv6 DNS Servers [In reply to]

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 11:56:10 +0100
Andrew Yourtchenko <ayourtch [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Florian Bauhaus
> <f.bauhaus [at] portrix-systems> wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 01:40:03 +0100
> > Tord Førland <tf [at] nextgentel> wrote:
> >
> >> Are there others out there that may be reached via IPv6? Nice to
> >> have, when testing IPv6-only networks..
> >
> > SixXS is offering some v6 only public DNS servers:
> > http://www.sixxs.net/tools/dnscache/
>
> Small caveat though: "This DNS Cache Service is available only to
> users of SixXS address space."

Oh, didn't saw that one. Using SixXS at home so it always worked for
me and I didn't thought about that it might be limited.

Best regards,
Florian

jared at puck

Dec 24, 2010, 4:06 AM

Re: Public IPv6 DNS Servers [In reply to]

x.ns.ntt.net and y.ns.ntt.net should take queries on v6 in your geographic region iirc.

Keep in mind that once the cdns start rolling v6 you are going to want to use a closer dns server else your bits may go too far away. (watching people muse about using google dns and poor akamai performance this week was amusing).

Jared Mauch

On Dec 24, 2010, at 2:08 AM, Florian Bauhaus <f.bauhaus [at] portrix-systems> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 01:40:03 +0100
> Tord Førland <tf [at] nextgentel> wrote:
>
>> Are there others out there that may be reached via IPv6? Nice to
>> have, when testing IPv6-only networks..
>
> SixXS is offering some v6 only public DNS servers:
> http://www.sixxs.net/tools/dnscache/
>

> Best regards,
> Florian

jared at puck

Dec 24, 2010, 4:22 AM

Re: Public IPv6 DNS Servers [In reply to]

Typo: x.ns.gin.ntt.net (and y)

2001:418:3ff::53 and
2001:418:3ff::1:53

Jared Mauch
Sorry about formatting - mobile device

On Dec 24, 2010, at 6:06 AM, Jared Mauch <jared [at] puck> wrote:

> x.ns.ntt.net and y.ns.ntt.net should take queries on v6 in your geographic region iirc.
>
> Keep in mind that once the cdns start rolling v6 you are going to want to use a closer dns server else your bits may go too far away. (watching people muse about using google dns and poor akamai performance this week was amusing).
>
> Jared Mauch
>
> On Dec 24, 2010, at 2:08 AM, Florian Bauhaus <f.bauhaus [at] portrix-systems> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 01:40:03 +0100
>> Tord Førland <tf [at] nextgentel> wrote:
>>
>>> Are there others out there that may be reached via IPv6? Nice to
>>> have, when testing IPv6-only networks..
>>
>> SixXS is offering some v6 only public DNS servers:
>> http://www.sixxs.net/tools/dnscache/
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Florian

frnkblk at iname

Dec 24, 2010, 5:49 AM

RE: Public IPv6 DNS Servers [In reply to]

Comcast has some here:
http://dns.comcast.net/dns-ip-addresses3.php
Not sure if they support recursive queries outside their network.

Frank

As I was testing out Googles new free DNS server today, I noticed that it
lacks IPv6 connectivity.

>From their FAQ;

Q: Does Google Public DNS support IPv6?
A: Google Public DNS can respond to requests for IPv6 addresses (AAAA
requests), but it does not yet support native IPv6 transport and cannot talk
to IPv6-only authoritative nameservers. Clients should use IPv4 network
connections to use Google Public DNS.

Are there others out there that may be reached via IPv6? Nice to have, when
testing IPv6-only networks..

... or perhaps the Google Santa will bring us something? Who knows..

Seasonal greetings to all of you, and great work spreading the v6-love!

Best Regards,
Tord Førland
E-mail: tord.forland [at] gmail | Cell: (+47) 92424976

frnkblk at iname

Dec 24, 2010, 6:43 AM

RE: Public IPv6 DNS Servers [In reply to]

I put together a list here:
http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/DNS_and_Naming_Issues#Recursive_DNS_server
s_that_support_IPv6

Frank

As I was testing out Googles new free DNS server today, I noticed that it
lacks IPv6 connectivity.

>From their FAQ;

Q: Does Google Public DNS support IPv6?
A: Google Public DNS can respond to requests for IPv6 addresses (AAAA
requests), but it does not yet support native IPv6 transport and cannot talk
to IPv6-only authoritative nameservers. Clients should use IPv4 network
connections to use Google Public DNS.

Are there others out there that may be reached via IPv6? Nice to have, when
testing IPv6-only networks..

... or perhaps the Google Santa will bring us something? Who knows..

Seasonal greetings to all of you, and great work spreading the v6-love!

Best Regards,
Tord Førland
E-mail: tord.forland [at] gmail | Cell: (+47) 92424976

jima at beer

Dec 24, 2010, 7:15 AM

Re: Public IPv6 DNS Servers [In reply to]

On 12/24/2010 7:49 AM, Frank Bulk - iName.com wrote:
> Comcast has some here:
> http://dns.comcast.net/dns-ip-addresses3.php
> Not sure if they support recursive queries outside their network.

At this stage in the game, "outside their network" is awfully
ambiguous. For what it's worth, though, they don't support external
(e.g., via an he.net tunnel) queries, or through their own 6to4 gateway.
I don't have 6rd set up right now, or I'd test that theory.
(It's also possible that some of the nameservers I tried are simply
down, but at least National/West is responding to pings.)

Jima

john at sackheads

Dec 24, 2010, 7:34 AM

Re: Public IPv6 DNS Servers [In reply to]

On Dec 24, 2010, at 7:06 AM, Jared Mauch <jared [at] puck> wrote:

> x.ns.ntt.net and y.ns.ntt.net should take queries on v6 in your geographic region iirc.
>
> Keep in mind that once the cdns start rolling v6 you are going to want to use a closer dns server else your bits may go too far away.

Given that you'd be using those servers for both A and AAAA queries, you probably want to use a close DNS anyway, regardless of the state of CDN over IPv6.

> (watching people muse about using google dns and poor akamai performance this week was amusing).
>
> Jared Mauch
>
> On Dec 24, 2010, at 2:08 AM, Florian Bauhaus <f.bauhaus [at] portrix-systems> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 01:40:03 +0100
>> Tord Førland <tf [at] nextgentel> wrote:
>>
>>> Are there others out there that may be reached via IPv6? Nice to
>>> have, when testing IPv6-only networks..
>>
>> SixXS is offering some v6 only public DNS servers:
>> http://www.sixxs.net/tools/dnscache/
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Florian

mleber at he

Dec 24, 2010, 11:34 AM

Re: Public IPv6 DNS Servers [In reply to]

Hurricane Electric runs globally distributed dual stack caching
resolvers at:

2001:470:20::2
74.82.42.42

We also offer free IPv6 authorative DNS:

http://dns.he.net

Mike.

On 12/23/10 4:40 PM, Tord Førland wrote:
> Hi guys!
>
> As I was testing out Googles new free DNS server today, I noticed that it lacks IPv6 connectivity.
>
> > From their FAQ;
>
> Q: Does Google Public DNS support IPv6?
> A: Google Public DNS can respond to requests for IPv6 addresses (AAAA requests), but it does not yet support native IPv6 transport and cannot talk to IPv6-only authoritative nameservers. Clients should use IPv4 network connections to use Google Public DNS.
>
> Are there others out there that may be reached via IPv6? Nice to have, when testing IPv6-only networks..
>
> ... or perhaps the Google Santa will bring us something? Who knows..
>
> Seasonal greetings to all of you, and great work spreading the v6-love!
>
> Best Regards,
> Tord Førland
> E-mail: tord.forland [at] gmail | Cell: (+47) 92424976

jon at giganett

Dec 25, 2010, 12:33 AM

Re: Public IPv6 DNS Servers [In reply to]

A 'bonus' if you test with HE 2001:470:20::2 DNS:

This will fool Youtube to believe you are coming from a whitelisted
network and recieve videos in IPv6.

Jon Harald Bøvre
Hafslund Telekom Nettjenester

On 24.12.2010 20:34, Mike Leber wrote:

> Hurricane Electric runs globally distributed dual stack caching
> resolvers at:
>
> 2001:470:20::2
> 74.82.42.42
>
> We also offer free IPv6 authorative DNS:
>
> http://dns.he.net
>
> Mike.
>
> On 12/23/10 4:40 PM, Tord Førland wrote:
>> Hi guys!
>>
>> As I was testing out Googles new free DNS server today, I noticed
>> that it lacks IPv6 connectivity.
>>
>> > From their FAQ;
>>
>> Q: Does Google Public DNS support IPv6?
>> A: Google Public DNS can respond to requests for IPv6 addresses (AAAA
>> requests), but it does not yet support native IPv6 transport and
>> cannot talk to IPv6-only authoritative nameservers. Clients should
>> use IPv4 network connections to use Google Public DNS.
>>
>> Are there others out there that may be reached via IPv6? Nice to
>> have, when testing IPv6-only networks..
>>
>> ... or perhaps the Google Santa will bring us something? Who knows..
>>
>> Seasonal greetings to all of you, and great work spreading the v6-love!
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Tord Førland
>> E-mail: tord.forland [at] gmail | Cell: (+47) 92424976

chaz at chaz6

Jan 6, 2011, 7:02 AM

Re: Public IPv6 DNS Servers [In reply to]

On 24/12/2010 00:40, Tord Førland wrote:
> Are there others out there that may be reached via IPv6? Nice to have, when testing IPv6-only networks..

I have a long list of ipv4/ipv6 dns cache servers at
http://www.chaz6.com/files/resolv.conf.

If you want a domain name that requires ipv6 connectivity, try
mirror.ipv6.chaz6.com.

You can also send dynamic updates to dyn.ipv6.chaz6.com. (as in, `echo
update add abc.dyn.ipv6.chaz6.com. 86400 IN AAAA 2000::1 >
/tmp/nsupdate; nsupdate /tmp/nsupdate`

Regards,

Chris

nsp ipv6 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded