Mailing List Archive: nsp: foundry

FWS24 QinQ?

nsp foundry RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

tcsillag at interware

FWS24 QinQ?

Dear All,

After exploring the possibilities of my FWS24 (kinda old, I know), I
found these options:

aggregated-vlan support for larger Ethernet frame up to 1530 bytes
tag-type Customize value used to indicate tagged VLAN port

Does this mean that this baby supports Q-in-Q?

Also, does anybody have an older FastIron config guide? Most stuff I can
dig up is for the FWS624 and other newer switches.

Thanks!

Tamas

helmwork at ruraltel

Re: FWS24 QinQ? [In reply to]

On 5/2/2012 4:16 PM, Tamas Csillag wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> After exploring the possibilities of my FWS24 (kinda old, I know), I
> found these options:
>
> aggregated-vlan support for larger Ethernet frame up to 1530 bytes
> tag-type Customize value used to indicate tagged VLAN port
>
> Does this mean that this baby supports Q-in-Q?
>
> Also, does anybody have an older FastIron config guide? Most stuff I can
> dig up is for the FWS624 and other newer switches.

You can do it with the tag-type command. A caveat on the FastIron
platform is that command applies to a port region, not just a single
port. Port regions on those are 1-12 and 13-24 I believe.

/Eric

tcsillag at interware

Re: FWS24 QinQ? [In reply to]

On 05/03/2012 02:34 PM, Eric Helm wrote:

> On 5/2/2012 4:16 PM, Tamas Csillag wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> After exploring the possibilities of my FWS24 (kinda old, I know), I
>> found these options:
>>
>> aggregated-vlan support for larger Ethernet frame up to 1530 bytes
>> tag-type Customize value used to indicate tagged VLAN port
>>
>> Does this mean that this baby supports Q-in-Q?
>>
>> Also, does anybody have an older FastIron config guide? Most stuff I can
>> dig up is for the FWS624 and other newer switches.
>>

> You can do it with the tag-type command. A caveat on the FastIron
> platform is that command applies to a port region, not just a single
> port. Port regions on those are 1-12 and 13-24 I believe.
>
> /Eric

That's what I gathered from the Fastiron config guides too, but the
command does not take an interface as an argument, just the integer, like:
tag-type <number> <cr>

So I assume it's for the whole system, then?

Tamas

ahebert at pubnix

Re: FWS24 QinQ? [In reply to]

Hi,

Unfortunately yes :(

BTW it is the same with the newer generation of switches like the
ICX66xx. Depending of the # of ports you can have 2 region.

Sorry to Foundry, but if you wish to have the functionality of
802.1ad/802.1ah (true Q-in-Q) there is at least 1 vendor with better
offering at the same price.

-----
Alain Hebert ahebert [at] pubnix
PubNIX Inc.
50 boul. St-Charles
P.O. Box 26770 Beaconsfield, Quebec H9W 6G7
Tel: 514-990-5911 http://www.pubnix.net Fax: 514-990-9443

On 05/03/12 08:41, Tamas Csillag wrote:
> On 05/03/2012 02:34 PM, Eric Helm wrote:
>>

>> On 5/2/2012 4:16 PM, Tamas Csillag wrote:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> After exploring the possibilities of my FWS24 (kinda old, I know), I
>>> found these options:
>>>
>>> aggregated-vlan support for larger Ethernet frame up to
>>> 1530 bytes
>>> tag-type Customize value used to indicate tagged
>>> VLAN port
>>>
>>> Does this mean that this baby supports Q-in-Q?
>>>
>>> Also, does anybody have an older FastIron config guide? Most stuff I
>>> can
>>> dig up is for the FWS624 and other newer switches.
>>>

>> You can do it with the tag-type command. A caveat on the FastIron
>> platform is that command applies to a port region, not just a single
>> port. Port regions on those are 1-12 and 13-24 I believe.
>>
>> /Eric
>
> That's what I gathered from the Fastiron config guides too, but the
> command does not take an interface as an argument, just the integer,
> like:
> tag-type <number> <cr>
>
> So I assume it's for the whole system, then?
>
> Tamas

clayton at mnsi

Re: FWS24 QinQ? [In reply to]

On a FESX424, the command would be:

tag-type 9100 ethe 13 to 24

Did you try that on the FWS?

At 08:41 AM 03/05/2012, Tamas Csillag wrote:
>On 05/03/2012 02:34 PM, Eric Helm wrote:
>>

>>On 5/2/2012 4:16 PM, Tamas Csillag wrote:
>>>Dear All,
>>>
>>>After exploring the possibilities of my FWS24 (kinda old, I know), I
>>>found these options:
>>>
>>> aggregated-vlan support for larger Ethernet frame up to
>>> 1530 bytes
>>> tag-type Customize value used to indicate tagged VLAN port
>>>
>>>Does this mean that this baby supports Q-in-Q?
>>>
>>>Also, does anybody have an older FastIron config guide? Most stuff I can
>>>dig up is for the FWS624 and other newer switches.
>>
>>You can do it with the tag-type command. A caveat on the FastIron
>>platform is that command applies to a port region, not just a single
>>port. Port regions on those are 1-12 and 13-24 I believe.
>>
>>/Eric
>
>That's what I gathered from the Fastiron config guides too, but the
>command does not take an interface as an argument, just the integer, like:
>tag-type <number> <cr>
>
>So I assume it's for the whole system, then?
>
>Tamas

---

Clayton Zekelman
Managed Network Systems Inc. (MNSi)
3363 Tecumseh Rd. E
Windsor, Ontario
N8W 1H4

tel. 519-985-8410
fax. 519-985-8409

tcsillag at interware

Re: FWS24 QinQ? [In reply to]

It looks like it won't accept interfaces:

telnet [at] FastIro(config)#tag-type
HEX Number
telnet [at] FastIro(config)#tag-type 9100
<cr>
telnet [at] FastIro(config)#tag-type 9100 eth 1 to 2
Invalid input -> eth 1 to 2 ?

I'll try the following setup:

- connect 2 cat2950 boxes to the FWS, and config 9100 as tag-type.
- config the uplink as trunk on the catalysts, but untagged on the FWS
- configure vlans on the catalysts and the FWS

If the catalysts see each other through the FWS, but don't see the FWS
itself, then it should be kinda QinQ, right?

Tamas