Mailing List Archive: nsp: foundry

Datacenter Interconnect

nsp foundry RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

kurt.blaser at senselan

Datacenter Interconnect

Hello

We are a small ISP in Switzerland. We have build two Datacenter and want
to start to interconnect them for our Colocation - Customers and our
ethernet services. For this project we have 4 Netiron Routers. Our idea
is to connect the distribution switches (Layer2) redundant to the core
(two new Netiron routers per site). With Netiron 5.3 the feature MCT
with VPLS are now avaiable. Is there any experience with this feature?
Or is good enough to do it with MCT? We want prevent to implement Rapid
Spanning Tree in this case. We have the advanced software license that
can do vpls and 802.1ad.

Or any other ideas?

Greetings

Kurt Blaser

ps Sorry for my poor english

foundry-nsp at ergens

Re: Datacenter Interconnect [In reply to]

Hi Kurt,
A common method I see some ISP's doing lately is to connect two
switches on each side seperatly with each other.
Something like this:

SA1 ===== SB1

SA2 ===== SB2

No stack or interconnection between the switches in the core at the same site.

Then you install VPLS or simple q-in-q's from each port of each core
switch to the same port on the other core switch in the other site.
This will give you a sort of 'long line' patch panel. Port 1 on site A
is port 1 on site B.

Redundancy is then created on the access layer. You can use for
example spanningstree or dynamic trunks (lacp short). Just make sure
you are using active protocols which can detect the failure of the
line between the datacentres as your access switches will not receive
a link down notice.

regards, Igor