Mailing List Archive: nsp: foundry

MPLS VLL Between Cisco and Brocade

nsp foundry RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

phil.pierotti at gmail

Feb 13, 2012, 3:19 PM

MPLS VLL Between Cisco and Brocade

Hi All,

I've attempted to run up an MPLS VLL between a Cisco (7200,12.2(33)SRE1)
and a Brocade (CER-RT, 5.2) and the "this should just transparently
interoperate" obvious configuration didn't work.

Are there any caveats/gotchas (or even config-fragment examples) someone
can throw my way?

--
<<<<<

mkassawara at gmail

Feb 13, 2012, 4:40 PM

Re: MPLS VLL Between Cisco and Brocade [In reply to]

Did you use "raw" mode?

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Phil Pierotti <phil.pierotti [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've attempted to run up an MPLS VLL between a Cisco (7200,12.2(33)SRE1) and
> a Brocade (CER-RT, 5.2) and the "this should just transparently
> interoperate" obvious configuration didn't work.
>
> Are there any caveats/gotchas (or even config-fragment examples) someone can
> throw my way?
>
> --

bbarba at Brocade

Feb 13, 2012, 6:27 PM

Re: MPLS VLL Between Cisco and Brocade [In reply to]

You need to verify the VC type on both sides (brocade, and Cisco), the VC type needs to be exactly the same, because if don't match you never see traffic forwarding

The VC type depends if you are trying to transport traffic with VLAN tag or Untagged. VC type 5 or VC type 4

Regards....

Bruno Barba
Systems Engineer
bruno.barba [at] brocade
Fixed:   +(52) 55 1253 7366
Mobile: +(52) 1 55 5451-7256
www.brocade.com

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Phil Pierotti <phil.pierotti [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've attempted to run up an MPLS VLL between a Cisco
> (7200,12.2(33)SRE1) and a Brocade (CER-RT, 5.2) and the "this should
> just transparently interoperate" obvious configuration didn't work.
>
> Are there any caveats/gotchas (or even config-fragment examples)
> someone can throw my way?
>
> --

helmwork at ruraltel

Feb 13, 2012, 7:10 PM

Re: MPLS VLL Between Cisco and Brocade [In reply to]

On 2/13/2012 8:27 PM, Bruno Barba Vilchis wrote:
> You need to verify the VC type on both sides (brocade, and Cisco), the VC type needs to be exactly the same, because if don't match you never see traffic forwarding
>
> The VC type depends if you are trying to transport traffic with VLAN tag or Untagged. VC type 5 or VC type 4

Also make sure the service MTU matches on both sides. Brocade doesn't
seem to care what the remote MTU is, but I've seen other boxes (ALU)
fail to establish the service if the remote MTU doesn't match.

Also, there was a Bug in some CES/CER software with LDP signaled
VPLS/VLL that prevented interop with some 3rd party boxes.

DEFECT000366041: Fixed in 5.2b and later.

LDP session might keep flapping if peer sends LDP hello message without
transport address TLV. In configuration with third party router
connected via CES, the CES might disconnect the LDP session with error
hold timer expired even though the remote device was sending an LDP hello.

/Eric

sam-ml at arahant

Feb 14, 2012, 2:12 AM

Re: MPLS VLL Between Cisco and Brocade [In reply to]

We had a similar problem, tried running VLL between a CER-RT (5.2) and a
7600 running SRE and later 15.x. As long as we put untagged traffic on the
VLL everything worked fine, but 802.1q tagged traffic didn't pass even if
we could see ARP. Brocade suggested to add the following lines to the
config:

tag-value tag2 9100
tag-type cvlan tag2 svlan tag1 bvlan tag1

however this didn’t work for us. We also asked if this will be fixed in
the upcoming code, but apparently this is not going to happen due to an
architectural limitation of the CER platform.

cheers,
--
sam

mkassawara at gmail

Feb 14, 2012, 4:44 PM

Re: MPLS VLL Between Cisco and Brocade [In reply to]

Last I checked, setting tag1 to 9100 will pass tagged traffic through
a type 5 VLL. However, it also causes the ethertype to change on
ports not associated with the VLL.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 3:12 AM, <sam-ml [at] arahant> wrote:
> We had a similar problem, tried running VLL between a CER-RT (5.2) and a
> 7600 running SRE and later 15.x. As long as we put untagged traffic on the
> VLL everything worked fine, but 802.1q tagged traffic didn't pass even if
> we could see ARP. Brocade suggested  to add the following lines to the
> config:
>
> tag-value tag2 9100
> tag-type cvlan tag2 svlan tag1 bvlan tag1
>
> however this didn’t work for us. We also asked if this will be fixed in
> the upcoming code, but apparently this is not going to happen due to an
> architectural limitation of the CER platform.
>
> cheers,
> --
> sam

matthew at walster

Mar 6, 2012, 2:08 AM

Re: MPLS VLL Between Cisco and Brocade [In reply to]

Setting "tag-type tag2 ethe x/y" will allow tagged traffic to pass
through a "regular" VLL (not raw-mode, IIRC) but from what I hear, it
has interop issues with Cisco still.

On 15 February 2012 00:44, Matt Kassawara <mkassawara [at] gmail> wrote:
> Last I checked, setting tag1 to 9100 will pass tagged traffic through
> a type 5 VLL.  However, it also causes the ethertype to change on
> ports not associated with the VLL.
>
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 3:12 AM,  <sam-ml [at] arahant> wrote:
>> We had a similar problem, tried running VLL between a CER-RT (5.2) and a
>> 7600 running SRE and later 15.x. As long as we put untagged traffic on the
>> VLL everything worked fine, but 802.1q tagged traffic didn't pass even if
>> we could see ARP. Brocade suggested  to add the following lines to the
>> config:
>>
>> tag-value tag2 9100
>> tag-type cvlan tag2 svlan tag1 bvlan tag1
>>
>> however this didn’t work for us. We also asked if this will be fixed in
>> the upcoming code, but apparently this is not going to happen due to an
>> architectural limitation of the CER platform.
>>
>> cheers,
>> --
>> sam

mkassawara at gmail

Mar 6, 2012, 5:14 AM

Re: MPLS VLL Between Cisco and Brocade [In reply to]

Yes, because Cisco (and Juniper) use raw-mode (type 5) VLLs.