Mailing List Archive: nsp: foundry

Specifying an LSP within a VLL

nsp foundry RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

lists at puzza

Feb 9, 2012, 5:08 AM

Specifying an LSP within a VLL

I was wondering what everyone's workarounds were to achieve binding a
VLL to a LSP, essentially the equivalent of:
vpls-peer <ip-address> lsp <lsp1> [<lsp2> <lsp3> <lsp4>]
except for a VLL?

Regards,
James.

helmwork at ruraltel

Feb 9, 2012, 6:03 AM

Re: Specifying an LSP within a VLL [In reply to]

On 2/9/2012 7:08 AM, James Paussa wrote:
> I was wondering what everyone's workarounds were to achieve binding a
> VLL to a LSP, essentially the equivalent of:
> vpls-peer <ip-address> lsp <lsp1> [<lsp2> <lsp3> <lsp4>]
> except for a VLL?

I'm told this will be available in a future software release... perhaps 5.3?

For now, the behavior of a VLL is to use any of the available LSPs to
the remote peer:

"If there are multiple tunnel LSPs that can be used to reach the VLL
peer, the PE router selects one of the tunnel LSPs by using a
round-robin method."

As a workaround, to force a VLL to use a specific LSP, you could use COS
matching:

"You can optionally specify a Class of Service (COS) setting for the
VLL. If a COS value is set, the device selects a tunnel LSP that also
has this COS value, if one is available. If no tunnel LSP with this COS
value is available, the device selects a tunnel LSP with the highest
configured COS value (although never higher than the COS setting for the
VLL)."

/Eric

lists at puzza

Feb 12, 2012, 11:48 PM

Re: Specifying an LSP within a VLL [In reply to]

On 10/02/2012 12:03 AM, Eric Helm wrote:
> "You can optionally specify a Class of Service (COS) setting for the
> VLL. If a COS value is set, the device selects a tunnel LSP that also
> has this COS value, if one is available. If no tunnel LSP with this COS
> value is available, the device selects a tunnel LSP with the highest
> configured COS value (although never higher than the COS setting for the
> VLL)."
>

> /Eric
Somehow I had missed the last part in all the docs: '(although never
higher than the COS setting for the VLL)'. Thanks for the tip.

-James.

matthew at walster

Feb 14, 2012, 1:56 AM

Re: Specifying an LSP within a VLL [In reply to]

On 9 February 2012 14:03, Eric Helm <helmwork [at] ruraltel> wrote:
> On 2/9/2012 7:08 AM, James Paussa wrote:
>> I was wondering what everyone's workarounds were to achieve binding a
>> VLL to a LSP, essentially the equivalent of:
>>  vpls-peer <ip-address> lsp <lsp1> [<lsp2> <lsp3> <lsp4>]
>> except for a VLL?
> I'm told this will be available in a future software release... perhaps 5.3?

I'd be very interested in this - though there must be a reason it
wasn't available from day one?