Mailing List Archive: nsp: foundry

IPv6 on F-CX

nsp foundry RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jethro.binks at strath

Oct 4, 2011, 4:19 AM

IPv6 on F-CX

Hi,

A few months ago there was mention that IPv6 routing would be supported on
the FCX "with the next major software release":

http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/foundry-nsp/2011-April/003123.html

Is there any more information available on this, any public announcements
or roadmap indications, that anyone is aware of, or could our Brocade
lurkers at liberty to divulge any progress in this area?

Jethro.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.

r.bhatia at ipax

Oct 4, 2011, 4:50 AM

Re: IPv6 on F-CX [In reply to]

On 2011-10-04 13:19, Jethro R Binks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few months ago there was mention that IPv6 routing would be supported on
> the FCX "with the next major software release":
>
> http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/foundry-nsp/2011-April/003123.html

what about fesx 4xx switches? will they receive an upgrade too?
(of course, i know about fesx6xx switches and am willing to take a
performance penalty)

thanks,
raoul
DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc. email. r.bhatia [at] ipax
Technischer Leiter

IPAX - Aloy Bhatia Hava OEG web. http://www.ipax.at
Barawitzkagasse 10/2/2/11 email. office [at] ipax
1190 Wien tel. +43 1 3670030
FN 277995t HG Wien fax. +43 1 3670030 15

hidden at xmission

Oct 4, 2011, 7:42 AM

Re: IPv6 on F-CX [In reply to]

AFAIK IPv6 is still on track for the next major FCX software release coming
out in the next few months.

FESX4xx won't ever get IPv6 routing as the "4" in FESX4 stands for
hardware-based IPv4 routing. If you need IPv6 routing in the FESX, you must
use a FESX6 box. (Or any of the other v6-capable platforms like NetIron,
BigIron, and FastIron 6-series). I believe FESX4xx "Switch" code can be
managed over IPv6, but it's not routing v6, you're just managing it over v6.

I do not believe there are any plans for software-based v6 routing on
FESX4xx platforms.

Jared Valentine
hidden [at] xmission