Mailing List Archive: nsp: foundry

Outbound route

nsp foundry RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

bmannella at gmail

Mar 24, 2011, 5:39 PM

Outbound route

All,

So i run EBGP with Level 3 and GBLX with two MLXe's, one transit on
each, the two routers run IBGP. Lately we have been having all kinds
of issues with GBLX --> Comcast. Currently my outbound path to comcast
goes through GBLX. I would like to change that to Level3. Will the
below work and is this the best way?

ip as-path access-list ComcastAS seq 5 permit _7922_

route-map ComcastToLevel3 permit 11
match as-path ComcastAS
set local-preference 110

I would then apply this to the GBLX session, correct?

Thanks in advance.

bmannella at gmail

Mar 24, 2011, 5:54 PM

Re: Outbound route [In reply to]

Yep just realized I said glbx, I meant level3 session is where it should be applied.

Thanks!

On Mar 24, 2011, at 8:53 PM, Kris Foster <kris.foster [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2011, at 5:39 PM, Brendan Mannella wrote:
>
>> So i run EBGP with Level 3 and GBLX with two MLXe's, one transit on
>> each, the two routers run IBGP. Lately we have been having all kinds
>> of issues with GBLX --> Comcast. Currently my outbound path to comcast
>> goes through GBLX. I would like to change that to Level3. Will the
>> below work and is this the best way?
>>

>> ip as-path access-list ComcastAS seq 5 permit _7922_
>>
>> route-map ComcastToLevel3 permit 11
>> match as-path ComcastAS
>> set local-preference 110
>>

>> I would then apply this to the GBLX session, correct?
>
> Depends on what the local-preference is on the Level3 learned prefixes. Default is 100 and the highest LP is preferred. So assuming the LP on the GBLX learned prefixes is 100, you'd have success applying that to your Level3 session.
>
> Kris

rsm at fast-serv

Mar 24, 2011, 8:32 PM

Re: Outbound route [In reply to]

Should work, yes.

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 20:54:24 -0400, Brendan Mannella wrote
> Yep just realized I said glbx, I meant level3 session is where it
> should be applied.
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Mar 24, 2011, at 8:53 PM, Kris Foster <kris.foster [at] gmail> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 24, 2011, at 5:39 PM, Brendan Mannella wrote:
> >
> >> So i run EBGP with Level 3 and GBLX with two MLXe's, one transit on
> >> each, the two routers run IBGP. Lately we have been having all kinds
> >> of issues with GBLX --> Comcast. Currently my outbound path to comcast
> >> goes through GBLX. I would like to change that to Level3. Will the
> >> below work and is this the best way?
> >>

> >> ip as-path access-list ComcastAS seq 5 permit _7922_
> >>
> >> route-map ComcastToLevel3 permit 11
> >> match as-path ComcastAS
> >> set local-preference 110
> >>

> >> I would then apply this to the GBLX session, correct?
> >
> > Depends on what the local-preference is on the Level3 learned prefixes.
Default is 100 and the highest LP is preferred. So assuming the LP on the GBLX
learned prefixes is 100, you'd have success applying that to your Level3 session.

> > Kris

~Randy

bmannella at gmail

Mar 28, 2011, 2:12 PM

Re: Outbound route [In reply to]

Just to update the list,

I applied the following

ip as-path access-list ComcastAS seq 5 permit _7922_

route-map Level3ToComcast permit 11
match as-path ComcastAS
set local-preference 110

neighbor (Level3 Peer IP) route-map in Level3ToComcast

That seemed to shift all traffic to GBLX except for comcast traffic,
which it sent to Level3. Not really the effect i am looking for.

I assume something is wrong with the as-path access list? Any ideas?

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Brendan Mannella <bmannella [at] gmail> wrote:
> All,
>
> So i run EBGP with Level 3 and GBLX with two MLXe's, one transit on
> each, the two routers run IBGP. Lately we have been having all kinds
> of issues with GBLX --> Comcast. Currently my outbound path to comcast
> goes through GBLX. I would like to change that to Level3. Will the
> below work and is this the best way?
>

> ip as-path access-list ComcastAS seq 5 permit _7922_
>
> route-map ComcastToLevel3 permit 11
>  match as-path ComcastAS
>  set local-preference 110
>

> I would then apply this to the GBLX session, correct?
>
> Thanks in advance.

niels=foundry-nsp at bakker

Mar 28, 2011, 2:39 PM

Re: Outbound route [In reply to]

* bmannella [at] gmail (Brendan Mannella) [Mon 28 Mar 2011, 23:13 CEST]:
>Just to update the list,
>
>I applied the following
>
> ip as-path access-list ComcastAS seq 5 permit _7922_
>
>route-map Level3ToComcast permit 11
> match as-path ComcastAS
> set local-preference 110
route-map Level3ToComcast permit 20

jmadrid2 at gmail

Mar 28, 2011, 2:54 PM

Re: Outbound route [In reply to]

Brendan,

The first stanza of your route-map is doing what you want, but you
need another permit line. There is an implicit deny in the route-map
after your first line. Do as Niels suggested and add

route-map Level3ToComcast permit 20

and you should have the desired result.

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Niels Bakker
<niels=foundry-nsp [at] bakker> wrote:
> * bmannella [at] gmail (Brendan Mannella) [Mon 28 Mar 2011, 23:13 CEST]:
>>
>> Just to update the list,
>>
>> I applied the following
>>
>> ip as-path access-list ComcastAS seq 5 permit _7922_
>>
>> route-map Level3ToComcast permit 11
>> match as-path ComcastAS
>> set local-preference 110
>
> route-map Level3ToComcast permit 20

It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime.  What better
place than here? What better time than now?