Mailing List Archive: nsp: force10

Thoughts on Force10??

nsp force10 RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

bmannella at teraswitch

Jan 15, 2008, 12:53 PM

Thoughts on Force10??

I am looking to consolidate my 2 juniper m7i's and Foundry BigIron 4000's into a E300 and was hoping to hear what users thought of thei r equipment, in particular their E series. I would be using it to connect my 3 transit providers speaking BGP and accepting full routes as well as it acting as the gateway router for all of my customer VLANs.

Thanks,

Brendan Mannella

TeraSwitch Networks
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

jrhett at svcolo

Jan 15, 2008, 1:49 PM

Thoughts on Force10?? [In reply to]

We have several E300s in exactly the same environment but with more
transit providers. We've been very happy with them.

You *must* get v7 software, as the v6 code isn't suitable for BGP
peering. You should use the 320k CAM profile.

If you want IPv6, you'll need to get the dual-CAM cards.

Brendan Mannella wrote:
> I am looking to consolidate my 2 juniper m7i's and Foundry BigIron 4000's into a E300 and was hoping to hear what users thought of thei r equipment, in particular their E series. I would be using it to connect my 3 transit providers speaking BGP and accepting full routes as well as it acting as the gateway router for all of my customer VLANs.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Brendan Mannella
>
> TeraSwitch Networks

Jo Rhett
senior geek
Silicon Valley Colocation

niels=force10-nsp at bakker

Jan 15, 2008, 1:50 PM

Thoughts on Force10?? [In reply to]

* bmannella at teraswitch.com (Brendan Mannella) [Tue 15 Jan 2008, 22:34 CET]:
>I am looking to consolidate my 2 juniper m7i's and Foundry BigIron
>4000's into a E300 and was hoping to hear what users thought of their
>equipment, in particular their E series. I would be using it to connect
>my 3 transit providers speaking BGP and accepting full routes as well as
>it acting as the gateway router for all of my customer VLANs.

Regardless of Force10's capabilities, isn't that an enormous amount
of eggs in one basket? Wouldn't you want some redundancy besides
management processors in your network?

-- Niels.

--

bmannella at teraswitch

Jan 15, 2008, 2:01 PM

Thoughts on Force10?? [In reply to]

This was exactly my initial concern. I read on their website that their default CAM profile allowed for 256k routes. But what happens when full routes reach 320k? So i guess it makes sense to gear their dual CAM cards since it allows for larger limits.

Brendan?Mannella
TeraSwitch?Networks?Inc.

Brendan Mannella wrote:
> I am looking to consolidate my 2 juniper m7i's and Foundry BigIron 4000's into a E300 and was hoping to hear what users thought of thei r equipment, in particular their E series. I would be using it to connect my 3 transit providers speaking BGP and accepting full routes as well as it acting as the gateway router for all of my customer VLANs.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Brendan Mannella
>
> TeraSwitch Networks

Jo Rhett
senior geek
Silicon Valley Colocation
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

jrhett at svcolo

Jan 15, 2008, 2:59 PM

Thoughts on Force10?? [In reply to]

I don't think that 320k routes will ever happen except by a
de-aggregation mistake. Check out the published tables of routing growth...

Brendan Mannella wrote:
> This was exactly my initial concern. I read on their website that their default CAM profile allowed for 256k routes. But what happens when full routes reach 320k? So i guess it makes sense to gear their dual CAM cards since it allows for larger limits.
>
> Brendan Mannella
> TeraSwitch Networks Inc.

Jo Rhett
senior geek
Silicon Valley Colocation

awaite at pandora

Jan 17, 2008, 2:13 PM

Thoughts on Force10?? [In reply to]

As Jo alluded to, if you don't need IPv6 support, you can change the cam
profile to disable it (and gain more IPv4 routes in the
process)...you'll only need to spend the extra money on the dual CAM
cards if you need both IPv4 and v6.

Adam Waite
Pandora Media, Inc.

Brendan Mannella wrote:
> This was exactly my initial concern. I read on their website that
> their default CAM profile allowed for 256k routes. But what happens
> when full routes reach 320k? So i guess it makes sense to gear their
> dual CAM cards since it allows for larger limits.
>
> Brendan Mannella
> TeraSwitch Networks Inc.

bmannella at teraswitch

Jan 17, 2008, 2:26 PM

Thoughts on Force10?? [In reply to]

Thanks for the info.

Although comparing the 2 price wise, they are only a few thousand difference, so why not go for it.
Regards,

Brendan Mannella
TeraSwitch Networks Inc.