Mailing List Archive: nsp: extreme

EAPS shared link - more compliacated

nsp extreme RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

marcin at leon

Feb 26, 2012, 2:08 PM

EAPS shared link - more compliacated

hello,

What if structure of network consists of 2 rings, but shared link for
both rings goes over 3 or more switches ?

How in that case should shared port be configured ?
Could controller and partner be non adjacent nodes ?

Regards,
Marcin

changjie81 at gmail

Feb 28, 2012, 4:58 PM

Re: EAPS shared link - more compliacated [In reply to]

Hello Marcin,
do u have a network topo to illustrate the description?
On Feb 27, 2012 6:09 AM, "Marcin Kuczera" <marcin [at] leon> wrote:

> hello,
>
> What if structure of network consists of 2 rings, but shared link for both
> rings goes over 3 or more switches ?
>
> How in that case should shared port be configured ?
> Could controller and partner be non adjacent nodes ?
>

> Regards,
> Marcin

julien.coutur at gmail

Feb 29, 2012, 8:31 AM

Re: EAPS shared link - more compliacated [In reply to]

Hi Marcin,

EAPS Common link Controller/Partner must be point-to-point with no
intermediate switch. Depending on your requirements, platforms, EXOS
version, you may take a look at G.8032 that may have different limitations
than EAPS in this case.

Julien

Le 26 février 2012 23:08, Marcin Kuczera <marcin [at] leon> a écrit :

> hello,
>
> What if structure of network consists of 2 rings, but shared link for both
> rings goes over 3 or more switches ?
>
> How in that case should shared port be configured ?
> Could controller and partner be non adjacent nodes ?
>

> Regards,
> Marcin

marcin at leon

Mar 13, 2012, 12:30 PM

Re: EAPS shared link - more compliacated [In reply to]

Changjie wrote:
> Hello Marcin,
> do u have a network topo to illustrate the description?

Ok, finally I found a slot to make attached picture.
How do you think - is it possible to do it with EAPS ?

RED, GREEN and BLUE are supposed to be 3 EAPS domains.

Regards,
Marcin

> On Feb 27, 2012 6:09 AM, "Marcin Kuczera" <marcin [at] leon
> <mailto:marcin [at] leon>> wrote:
>
> hello,
>
> What if structure of network consists of 2 rings, but shared link
> for both rings goes over 3 or more switches ?
>
> How in that case should shared port be configured ?
> Could controller and partner be non adjacent nodes ?
>

> Regards,
> Marcin

Attachments: eaps-complicated-case.pdf (28.0 KB)

blackprowler at gmail

Mar 14, 2012, 1:09 AM

Re: EAPS shared link - more compliacated [In reply to]

Hello, Marcin.

On 13 March 2012 21:30, Marcin Kuczera <marcin [at] leon> wrote:

> How do you think - is it possible to do it with EAPS ?

Yes, it is possible.
There is one "but" - switch, which belongs to both shared-ports (RGB + RB)
can be a Master only for Green EAPS. This is because "A shared port cannot
be configured on an EAPS master’s secondary port."

--
Ilya Lavrovsky
e-mail: blackprowler [at] gmail

marcin at leon

Mar 14, 2012, 2:53 AM

Re: EAPS shared link - more compliacated [In reply to]

Ilya wrote:
> Hello, Marcin.
>

> On 13 March 2012 21:30, Marcin Kuczera <marcin [at] leon
> <mailto:marcin [at] leon>> wrote:
>
> How do you think - is it possible to do it with EAPS ?
>

> Yes, it is possible.
> There is one "but" - switch, which belongs to both shared-ports (RGB +
> RB) can be a Master only for Green EAPS. This is because "A shared port
> cannot be configured on an EAPS master’s secondary port."

ok, so as I'am not planning any master on shared link, there is no
problem in my case.

How would then Partner/Controller config look like ? Controller in the
middle ?

Regards,
Marcin

blackprowler at gmail

Mar 14, 2012, 8:58 AM

Re: EAPS shared link - more compliacated [In reply to]

On 14 March 2012 11:53, Marcin Kuczera <marcin [at] leon> wrote:

> Ilya wrote:
>
>> Hello, Marcin.
>>

>> On 13 March 2012 21:30, Marcin Kuczera <marcin [at] leon <mailto:
>> marcin [at] leon>> wrote:
>>
>> How do you think - is it possible to do it with EAPS ?
>>

>> Yes, it is possible.
>> There is one "but" - switch, which belongs to both shared-ports (RGB +
>> RB) can be a Master only for Green EAPS. This is because "A shared port
>> cannot be configured on an EAPS master’s secondary port."
>>

> ok, so as I'am not planning any master on shared link, there is no problem
> in my case.
>
> How would then Partner/Controller config look like ? Controller in the
> middle ?

Since:
1. The shared port mode configured on each side of a common link must be
different from the other;
one must be a controller and one must be a partner.
2. There cannot be more than one controller on a switch.
Valid combinations on any one switch are:
- 1 partner;
- 1 controller and 1 partner;
- 1 controller;
- 2 partners.

so you can't have two controllers in the middle.