Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: nsp: extreme

Problem with vMAN and QinQ

 

 

nsp extreme RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


a at aufbix

Feb 25, 2008, 4:14 PM

Post #1 of 3 (2808 views)
Permalink
Problem with vMAN and QinQ

Hello,

I came across this post
<http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/extreme-nsp/2007-April/000159.html>
when tying to actually put several Cisco 3550 edge switches to work with
Extreme BD switches - running QinQ.

> Is it possible to run both VLAN and vMAN at the same time on the
> BD6808?
> Can you use several Cisco & Extreme switches and have them co-exist with
> regular L2 Q-trunk between them and use QinQ/vMan at the edges for
> customers?

Any suggesting how to make this two vendors working together in a way
double vlan tagging would be possible?

Thanks in advance,
Andraz

--
Humppa all the way!!
Attachments: signature.asc (0.18 KB)
  smime.p7s (3.28 KB)


copse at xy

Feb 27, 2008, 2:18 AM

Post #2 of 3 (2675 views)
Permalink
Re: Problem with vMAN and QinQ [In reply to]

That was my original post.

Unfortunately the vMAN implementation in BD6800/EW is very limited.
All you do to enable vMAN is to change the ethertype from 8100 to 88a8,
and enable jumbo frames.

But all Cisco switching devices use the default Ethertype field value
of 0x8100, even when using QinQ (not entirley sure about this). This means
that you canīt have a regular Q-trunk between a Cisco-device and the
BD6800, because of the ethertype mismatch.

The solution at least to my knowledge is to use the standard 8100
ethertype on the BD, and use Cisco devices at the edges with QinQ enabled.
Or you can use newer Extreme switches, like the x450, that has much better
vMAN support. And set the vMAN ethertype to 8100. And you can even use
vMAN and VLAN och the same switch, just specify witch ports belong to
either vMAN och VLAN.

/Roger


On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Andraz Sraka wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I came across this post
> <http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/extreme-nsp/2007-April/000159.html>
> when tying to actually put several Cisco 3550 edge switches to work with
> Extreme BD switches - running QinQ.
>
>> Is it possible to run both VLAN and vMAN at the same time on the
>> BD6808?
>> Can you use several Cisco & Extreme switches and have them co-exist with
>> regular L2 Q-trunk between them and use QinQ/vMan at the edges for
>> customers?
>
> Any suggesting how to make this two vendors working together in a way
> double vlan tagging would be possible?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Andraz
>
> --
> Humppa all the way!!
>


a at aufbix

Feb 27, 2008, 5:38 AM

Post #3 of 3 (2664 views)
Permalink
Re: Problem with vMAN and QinQ [In reply to]

re

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 11:18 +0100, Roger Wiklund wrote:

> But all Cisco switching devices use the default Ethertype field value
> of 0x8100, even when using QinQ (not entirley sure about this).

Huh, this QinQ and l2-tunnel protocol (dot1q-tunnel) is that same thing
in cisco terminology or it does *almost the same thing* using different
ethertype fields?

> This means that you canÂīt have a regular Q-trunk between a
> Cisco-device and the BD6800, because of the ethertype mismatch.

Yes, this is something I've already concluded. So the best know
work-around is what you described below?

> The solution at least to my knowledge is to use the standard 8100
> ethertype on the BD, and use Cisco devices at the edges with QinQ
> enabled.

But can I use on one port both ethertypes (let's say new vMAN (0x8100)
and old VLAN)? I was trying to have in that tagged port my management
vlan and customer QinQ vlan :)

> Or you can use newer Extreme switches, like the x450, that has much
> better vMAN support. And set the vMAN ethertype to 8100. And you can
> even use vMAN and VLAN och the same switch, just specify witch ports
> belong to either vMAN och VLAN.

yay :)

regards,
Andraz

--
Humppa all the way!!
Attachments: signature.asc (0.18 KB)
  smime.p7s (3.28 KB)

nsp extreme RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.