Mailing List Archive: Netapp: toasters

Autosupport failing to mailhost

Netapp toasters RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

daniel.keisling at austin

Feb 12, 2008, 8:22 AM

Autosupport failing to mailhost

Hello,

From what seems out of the blue, Autosupport emails are no longer able
to be sent to my mailhost (Exchange 2003 on the same subnet):

"Autosupport cannot connect to host rtpmail01.americas.ppdi.local
(Network comm problem) for message: USER_TRIGGERED (TEST)"

This message will be thrown until the message is eventually dropped. My
Exchange administrator does not see any connections coming from the
filer to send this email. I can ping the mailhost with no problem:

rtpstore2b> ping rtpmail01.americas.ppdi.local
rtpmail01.americas.ppdi.local is alive

My routing table:

Destination Gateway Flags Refs Use Interface
default 172.20.63.254 UGS 4 222239 e0a
127 localhost UGS 0 22236 lo
localhost localhost UH 3 145 lo
172.20.62/23 link#4 UC 0 0 e0a
rtpmail01.americ 0:8:2:28:ee:86 UHL 0 11 e0a
rtpexchbe01.amer 0:8:2:28:ee:86 UHL 0 0 e0a
rtpstore2b 0:a0:98:9:66:53 UHL 0 18112 lo

My autosupport options:

rtpstore2b> options autosupport
autosupport.cifs.verbose off
autosupport.content complete
autosupport.doit DONT
autosupport.enable on
autosupport.from rtpstore2b at rtp.ppdi.com
<mailto:rtpstore2b [at] rtp>
autosupport.local.nht_data.enable off
autosupport.local.performance_data.enable off
autosupport.mailhost rtpmail01.americas.ppdi.local
autosupport.minimal.subject.id hostname
autosupport.nht_data.enable on
autosupport.noteto
autosupport.performance_data.enable on
autosupport.retry.count 15 (value might be overwritten in
takeover)
autosupport.retry.interval 4m (value might be overwritten in
takeover)
autosupport.support.enable on
autosupport.support.proxy
autosupport.support.to autosupport at netapp.com
<mailto:autosupport [at] netapp>
autosupport.support.transport https
autosupport.support.url
support.netapp.com/asupprod/post/1.0/postAsup
autosupport.throttle on
autosupport.to storage at wilm.ppdi.com
<mailto:storage [at] wilm>

(I've replaced the @'s with 'at')

I have no problems with my SSH session, so I don't know how this could
be a network cable/connection problem. Are there any debugging steps I
can do? Has anyone seen this before? It has definitely worked in the
past. This is DOT 7.2.2 on a FAS3040.

TIA,

Daniel

This email transmission and any documents, files or previous email
messages attached to it may contain information that is confidential or
legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or a person
responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and
that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or use of this
transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or return email
and delete the original transmission and its attachments without reading
or saving in any manner.

norbert.geissler at siemens

Feb 12, 2008, 10:05 AM

AW: Autosupport failing to mailhost [In reply to]

Hi,

does Exchange 2003 support https connection ?

autosupport.support.transport https

if not, try changing to

option autosupport.support.transport smtp

Good luck,
Norbert Geissler

Siemens AG
Siemens IT Solutions and Services
Global Operations
SIS GO GIO DS G SU1
Otto-Hahn-Ring 6
81739 München
Tel.: +49 (89) 636-48132
Fax: +49 (89) 636-28889
Mobil: +49 (170) 9157829
mailto:norbert.geissler [at] siemens <mailto:norbert.geissler [at] siemens>

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Gerhard Cromme; Vorstand: Peter Löscher, Vorsitzender; Wolfgang Dehen, Heinrich Hiesinger, Joe Kaeser, Erich R. Reinhardt, Hermann Requardt, Siegfried Russwurm, Peter Y. Solmssen; Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin und München; Registergericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, München, HRB 6684; WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 23691322

________________________________

autosupport.from rtpstore2b at rtp.ppdi.com <mailto:rtpstore2b [at] rtp>
autosupport.support.to autosupport at netapp.com <mailto:autosupport [at] netapp>
autosupport.to storage at wilm.ppdi.com <mailto:storage [at] wilm>

[...]

bob.doho at gmail

Feb 12, 2008, 10:17 AM

Re: Autosupport failing to mailhost [In reply to]

Hi Daniel,

Change your autosupport option from https to smtp

Regards

On Feb 12, 2008 5:22 PM, Daniel Keisling
<daniel.keisling [at] austin> wrote:

> [...]
> Has anyone seen this before? It has definitely worked in the past. This is
> DOT 7.2.2 on a FAS3040.
>
> TIA,
>
> Daniel

> This email transmission and any documents, files or previous email
> messages attached to it may contain information that is confidential or
> legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or a person
> responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient,
> you are hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and
> that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or use of this
> transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
> in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or return email
> and delete the original transmission and its attachments without reading

kheal at hotmail

Feb 12, 2008, 10:33 AM

RE: Autosupport failing to mailhost [In reply to]

Hi Daniel

I see a line which says
autosupport.support.transport
https

Which means the filer will use https to send autosupports, and not smtp.

Can you try
options autosupport.support.transport smtp

And see if the mails go through?

cheers
Kenneth

Kenneth Heal
Databasement BV
The Netherlands

of the blue, Autosupport emails are no longer able to be sent to my mailhost

Feb 12, 2008, 11:07 AM

RE: Autosupport failing to mailhost [In reply to]

Does the autosupport.support.transport option only use smtp or https
when delivering to NetApp? In this case (https), it works fine. NetApp
is receiving my autosupports.

What's not working is local mail to me. I tried this on another filer
at another site (except for the mailhost (another Exchange 2003 server),
all the autosupport settings are the same) and the email to my local
account came immediately, as well as a notification from NetApp. The
log even said:

Feb 12 14:11:57 EST [wilstore2a: asup.smtp.sent:notice]: Cluster
Notification mail sent: Cluster Notification from wilstore2a
(USER_TRIGGERED (testing_from_wilstore)) INFO

This was definitely sent via smtp, yet the autosupport.support.transport
is set to https.

Daniel

________________________________

autosupport.to storage at wilm.ppdi.com
<mailto:storage [at] wilm>

<http://clk.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/>

This email transmission and any documents, files or previous email
messages attached to it may contain information that is confidential or
legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or a person
responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and
that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or use of this
transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or return email
and delete the original transmission and its attachments without reading
or saving in any manner.

dleeds at edmunds

Feb 12, 2008, 11:09 AM

RE: Autosupport failing to mailhost [In reply to]

i thought this only set the delivery method directly to netapp? i have autosupport.support.transport https set but i also have mailhost, to/from set and i get all the normal autosupport mails in addition to the https post sent directly to netapp.

--
Daniel Leeds
Manager, Storage Operations

310-309-4999 desk
310-430-0536 cell

[...]

Feb 12, 2008, 11:36 AM

RE: Autosupport failing to mailhost [In reply to]

Hi DanielVery good point. I have done a bit more digging and find this article on the NOW site:https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb13968 So it does indeed look like that this autosupport.support.transport setting only applies to mail for netapp and that addresses in your autosupport.to should indeed always be sent via smtp. I think this must have changed sometime around 7.0.Looking at the error you see, Autosupport cannot connect to
host rtpmail01.americas.ppdi.local (Network comm problem) for message:
USER_TRIGGERED (TEST) it does sound like some device is blocking a connection between the filer and exchange server.At this stage I would make a packet trace on the filer as follows:pktt start all -d / -i rtpmail01.americas.ppdi.localoptions autosupport.doit TESTWait for the error message thenpktt stop allI don't know how well you know TCP; If you send me the trace I would be happy to look at it; what you will be interested in seeing isa) whether any attempt at all is made to connect to the exchange serverb) if so is it to port 80 (http), port 443 (https) or smtp (25)c) If you see a bunch of SYN's with no replies or a reply of a RST ACK then there is most likely a firewall blocking the path.SMTP is plain text so if there is a SMTP connection which goes wrong somewhere you are quite likely to see an error telling you what's wrong which you could then share with your Exchange admin.Hope this helps -- let us know your findings,cheers,KennethSubject: RE: Autosupport failing to mailhostDate: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:07:52 -0600From: daniel.keisling [at] austin: kheal [at] hotmail; toasters [at] mathworks

even said:

Feb 12 14:11:57 EST [wilstore2a: asup.smtp.sent:notice]: Cluster
Notification mail sent: Cluster Notification from wilstore2a (USER_TRIGGERED
(testing_from_wilstore)) INFO

This was definitely sent via smtp, yet the
autosupport.support.transport is set to https.
Daniel

[mailto:owner-toasters [at] mathworks] On Behalf Of Kenneth
HealSent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 12:33 PMTo: Daniel
Keisling; toasters [at] mathworks: RE: Autosupport failing to
mailhost

Hi DanielI see a line which
saysautosupport.support.transport
httpsWhich means the filer will use https to send autosupports, and not
smtp.Can you tryoptions autosupport.support.transport smtpAnd see if the mails go
through?cheersKennethKenneth HealDatabasement BVThe
Netherlands

Subject: Autosupport failing to mailhostDate: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 10:22:51
-0600From: daniel.keisling [at] austin:
toasters [at] mathworks

Hello,

From what seems out of
[...]

rtp.ppdi.comautosupport.local.nht_data.enable
offautosupport.local.performance_data.enable
offautosupport.mailhost
rtpmail01.americas.ppdi.localautosupport.minimal.subject.id
hostnameautosupport.nht_data.enable
onautosupport.notetoautosupport.performance_data.enable
onautosupport.retry.count
15 (value might be overwritten
in takeover)autosupport.retry.interval
4m (value might be overwritten
in takeover)autosupport.support.enable
onautosupport.support.proxyautosupport.support.to
autosupport at
netapp.comautosupport.support.transport
[...]

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! MSN
Messenger
This email transmission and any documents, files or previous email
messages attached to it may contain information that is confidential or
legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or a person
responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and
that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or use of this
transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or return email
and delete the original transmission and its attachments without reading
or saving in any manner.

aclark at insightinvestments

Feb 12, 2008, 11:43 AM

RE: Autosupport failing to mailhost [In reply to]

Exchange is set up not to be an open relay. You need to add your
system's IP address to the Exchange server you are using to allow the
SMTP messages to go through.

AC

autosupport.to storage at wilm.ppdi.com
<mailto:storage [at] wilm>

[...]

max.reid at saikonetworks

Feb 12, 2008, 5:51 PM

Re: Autosupport failing to mailhost [In reply to]

Try the following from another machine on the same subnet of the filer

telnet $MAILHOST 25
Helo itsme

250 OK <--- SERVER RESPONSE

MAIL FROM: $AUTOSUPPORT_FROM address (The address you've configured
for options autosupport.from)

250 OK <--- SERVER RESPONSE

RCPT TO: $YOUR_EMAIL_ADDRESS

250 OK <--- SERVER RESPONSE

DATA
test test test test
. <---- final dot and \r\n

250 ok <--- SERVER RESPONSE.

If you can't connect at all, or the exchange server says something
other than 250 OK then you've either got a network or name resolution
problem (can't connect at all) or the Exchange server is not allowing
you to relay (Probably some error message like 550 Relaying Denied.)

If the mailserver gives you a 250, then it's accepted responsibility
for delivering the email.

~Max

daniel.keisling at austin

Feb 18, 2008, 8:08 AM

RE: Autosupport failing to mailhost [In reply to]

I'm still at a loss for this issue. Beginning last Wednesday, the
Exchange administrator failed the cluster over to another node and all
subsequent autosupport tests started working perfectly. I assumed that
the other node was the problem, so we again made it the active node on
Friday to do more tests. Surprisingly, all autosupport tests and my
weekly log email have worked fine (as well as a test today). I don't
know if the act of failing the cluster to the other node fixed
something, but it's back to working again. It seems this issue only
pops up once a month, lasts 3-4 days, then disappears again.

Very odd. I'll definitely get a packet trace when it happens again
though.

Daniel

________________________________

Very good point. I have done a bit more digging and find this article
on the NOW site:
https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb13968

So it does indeed look like that this autosupport.support.transport
setting only applies to mail for netapp and that addresses in your
autosupport.to should indeed always be sent via smtp. I think this must
have changed sometime around 7.0.

Looking at the error you see, Autosupport cannot connect to host

autosupport.to storage at wilm.ppdi.com
<mailto:storage [at] wilm>

[...]

kdavis at mathworks

Feb 27, 2008, 11:58 AM

RE: Autosupport failing to mailhost [In reply to]

> I'm still at a loss for this issue. Beginning last Wednesday, the Exchange
> administrator failed the cluster over to another node and all subsequent
> autosupport tests started working perfectly. I assumed that the other node
> was the problem, so we again made it the active node on Friday to do more
> tests. Surprisingly, all autosupport tests and my weekly log email have
> worked fine (as well as a test today). I don't know if the act of failing the
> cluster to the other node fixed something, but it's back to working again.
> It seems this issue only pops up once a month, lasts 3-4 days, then disappears
> again.

We're having some nasty autosupport issues too. The symptoms are somewhat
different from what you described. We were pointed at this:

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=263066

The bug report is typically lacking in real information. The bottom line is
that once a filer is affected by this bug, the only way out is to change the
autosupport.transport to http or smtp, and _REBOOT_. So much for high
availability. The scheduled release for a fix is 7.2.5.

Ok...I've read the rest of this thread and I see your filer is generating
autosupports and they're getting to NetApp, but not to you. We've been bitten
by this in the past, too. First of all, get rid of the Exchange Server. ;)
Ok, if you can, point to a Sendmail or other SMTP relay. And check the logs, if
they're available to you (gotta love the logs on Exchange...). We found that
ours were getting rejected on our MTA because of our self-imposed message-size
limit (10MB), which was readily discovered in Sendmail logs. Some of these
autosupports are huge. Try setting the autosupport.content option to "minimal"
('options autosupport.content minimal), and generating another test. If you get
it, you've found the culprit.

-Kevin

| Kevin Davis (UNIX/Storage Sysadmin) | Natick, Massachusetts |
| 508.647.7660 | 01760-2098 |
| http://www.mathworks.com | |