Mailing List Archive: Netapp: toasters

Connect to filer via CIFS from MacOS9/Dave

Netapp toasters RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

josef.radinger at i-med

Sep 17, 2007, 3:06 AM

Connect to filer via CIFS from MacOS9/Dave

Hello,

We again have troubles connecting to a filer.
Connecting via Windows XP,... works great, but some Clients are old
MacOS9 systems, which cannot get updated as they hold software for which
no OSX version exists (or it is to expensive). We can connect with the
help of DAVE http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.html (Software which
enables OS9 to connect to windows/samba,...).

If we try to copy folders with files, the folders get created, but the
data (the actual files) is not copied. The other way (copying from the
filer to the Mac) is the same. If we try this with a samba-system
everything is ok.

Support from DAVE tells us that they had problems with ontap 6 and
macos9, but he was not too sure about this as his tests were a long time
ago. They tell us, that from there side everything seems to be ok and
that it is very unlikely that we could get an updated version of DAVE
for OS9.

Does someone have the same problem and maybe a solution?

ps.: DAVE under OSX works as expected.

--
MfG
Josef Radinger

Jochen.Willeke at wincor-nixdorf

Sep 17, 2007, 6:51 AM

RE: Connect to filer via CIFS from MacOS9/Dave [In reply to]

Hi,

i am not used to Mac OS9, but maybe there is NFS support within the MAC
os9 kernel?!?!

If yes, you can use nfs instead of cifs.

The command on the filer to manage the NFS-access is "exportfs".

Best Regards

Jochen

[...]

ggwalker at mindspring

Sep 17, 2007, 3:44 PM

RE: Connect to filer via CIFS from MacOS9/Dave [In reply to]

CIFS on MAC sucks - no polite way of putting it. Even the newer OSX
clients have some pretty severe limitations.

NFS works great on MAC, FWIW. If CIFS is required (NFS would be an
additional license on the NetApp side), I'd recommend upgrading to OSX
if possible.

[...]

James.Johnson8 at hdsupply

Sep 18, 2007, 12:34 PM

RE: Connect to filer via CIFS from MacOS9/Dave [In reply to]

MAC works better with NFS. All our MAC users connect to our production
filer via NFS. I never tried it with CIFS.

James