Mailing List Archive: Netapp: toasters

Windows Explorer showing incorrect disk space totals

Netapp toasters RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

scl at sasha

Oct 25, 2006, 7:00 AM

Windows Explorer showing incorrect disk space totals

We have a filer running DOT 7.0.1R1 with a qtree named /vol/h2/t54
with NTFS security style and this share:

fccf /vol/h2/t54/fccf

Here are the quota file entries that pertain to the qtree:

* user@/vol/h2 - - (users unlimited in the volume)
* group@/vol/h2 - - (groups unlimited in the volume)
/vol/h2/t45 tree 500000M 500000K (tree quota approx 500G)
* user@/vol/h2/t54 500000M 500000K (users can use all of qtree)

Quotas are on and "quota report /vol/h2/t54" indicates that the
qtree is using 184408104 KB out of 512000000 KB.

Essentially all used space is beneath the /vol/h2/t54/fccf directory.

When I map the fccf share with Windows Explorer and right click
the drive letter and look at "properties" it reports the correct
amount of available disk space: 327591896 KB, but it reports only
35892088 KB used (instead of 184408104) and reports the total
capacity as 363483984 KB (instead of 512000000).

I looked at bugs online and saw a couple bugs where Explorer or
CIFS reports incorrect values, but these don't seem to apply to
this situation and the bugs are fixed.

Is there anything I can do besides telling folks to only pay attention
to available space (which is correct) and ignore the other values ?

Steve Losen scl [at] virginia phone: 434-924-0640

University of Virginia ITC Unix Support

tmacmd at gmail

Oct 25, 2006, 8:26 AM

Re: Windows Explorer showing incorrect disk space totals [In reply to]

This might be a qtree reporting bug.
Can you check the mount from NFS and see if you get a similar result?

Not sure when this was fixed, but I know there was a problem back in
6.5.4 and I think (not positive though) that the same bug(s) existed
in 7.0 for a little while.

Also, what if you (for testing purposes) go around the qtree?

share out the whole volume (hidden with a $) and map there.
Then traverse down until you get to the directory you want to check.
Right-click and check the size. Does it match up?
If you get the correct result and it does not match your other number,
it may be the qtree bug (no idea what the number of the BURT is).

--tmac

--
--tmac

Principal Consultant, RABA Technologies
240-373-3926 (office) 301-688-4705 (Lab)
443-363-0208 (eFAX)

etraitel at gmail

Oct 25, 2006, 8:35 AM

Re: Windows Explorer showing incorrect disk space totals [In reply to]

Steve,

While I don't seem to have an answer to your question yet I did notice this
spelling mistake - is this indeed a mistake:

* user@/vol/h2 - - (users unlimited in the volume)
* group@/vol/h2 - - (groups unlimited in the volume)
/vol/h2/t45 tree 500000M 500000K (tree quota approx 500G) ===> Notice
that this line refers to another qtree t45 and not t54
* user@/vol/h2/t54 500000M 500000K (users can use all of qtree)

So - do you indeed have a tree quota for t54 - if not, it may relate to your
issue, depending on what is the used space in /vol/h2 etc.

Eyal.
http://filers.blogspot.com
http://stupidstorage.blogspot.com

On 10/25/06, Stephen C. Losen <scl [at] sasha> wrote:

> We have a filer running DOT 7.0.1R1 with a qtree named /vol/h2/t54
> with NTFS security style and this share:
>
> fccf /vol/h2/t54/fccf
>
> Here are the quota file entries that pertain to the qtree:
>
> * user@/vol/h2 - - (users unlimited in the volume)
> * group@/vol/h2 - - (groups unlimited in the volume)
> /vol/h2/t45 tree 500000M 500000K (tree quota approx 500G)
> * user@/vol/h2/t54 500000M 500000K (users can use all of qtree)
>
> Quotas are on and "quota report /vol/h2/t54" indicates that the
> qtree is using 184408104 KB out of 512000000 KB.
>
> Essentially all used space is beneath the /vol/h2/t54/fccf directory.
>
> When I map the fccf share with Windows Explorer and right click
> the drive letter and look at "properties" it reports the correct
> amount of available disk space: 327591896 KB, but it reports only
> 35892088 KB used (instead of 184408104) and reports the total
> capacity as 363483984 KB (instead of 512000000).
>
> I looked at bugs online and saw a couple bugs where Explorer or
> CIFS reports incorrect values, but these don't seem to apply to
> this situation and the bugs are fixed.
>
> Is there anything I can do besides telling folks to only pay attention
> to available space (which is correct) and ignore the other values ?
>
> Steve Losen scl [at] virginia phone: 434-924-0640
>
> University of Virginia ITC Unix Support

--
Yours,
Eyal.

Netapp toasters RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded