Mailing List Archive: Netapp: toasters

vfiler migrate, snapmirror and 7.3.x to 8.1.x?

Netapp toasters RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

rrue at fhcrc

Aug 9, 2012, 12:50 PM

vfiler migrate, snapmirror and 7.3.x to 8.1.x?

I googled on this and found an earlier thread here that I actually
started. Was trying to migrate a vfiler "whole" to a new cluster, but from
7.3.5.1P% to 8.0.2 and with no snapmirror license. Ended up doing it via
rsync to a new vfiler.

Looking into getting SnapMirror licensing now. And the target cluster is
now 8.1 7-mode. To confirm, I can move a vfiler from 7.3.5.1P5 to 8.1
"whole" with just the minor interruptions during the cutover? Source and
target are on the same subnet.

fcocquyt at stanford

Aug 9, 2012, 4:56 PM

Re: vfiler migrate, snapmirror and 7.3.x to 8.1.x? [In reply to]

There are a ton of checks done before the vfiler migration will execute (including 32/64 bit aggrs, model of clusters, load etc)
If you are talking offline migration done from the command line, the checks are less strict than the online, non-disruptive done from the NMC.

7.3.5.1P5 -> 8.1 should be supported (as long as all the checks are passed (like 32/64 bit aggrs)

I'd recommend getting a trial license if possible and testing the migration to know exactly what to expect.

Good luck!