Mailing List Archive: Netapp: toasters

Identify a heavy CIFS hitter on a vfiler?

Netapp toasters RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

rrue at fhcrc

Aug 5, 2012, 10:15 PM

Identify a heavy CIFS hitter on a vfiler?

Hello All,

Got a v3170 cluster running 7.3.5.1 where one vfiler is seeing heavy CIFS traffic sufficient to drag the whole node to its knees periodically.

Is there a way to identify the files/folders or CIFS clients that are doing the damage?

Hope to hear from you ASAP,

Randy Rue

rrue at fhcrc

Aug 5, 2012, 10:20 PM

Re: Identify a heavy CIFS hitter on a vfiler? [In reply to]

OK, I should have dug a little deeper before yelling to the list.

Looks like "cifs top" will help me with this if I enable "cifs.per_client_stats.enable."

But will enabling it cause an additional performance hit? Anyone have experience with this option?

Randy

Got a v3170 cluster running 7.3.5.1 where one vfiler is seeing heavy CIFS traffic sufficient to drag the whole node to its knees periodically.

Is there a way to identify the files/folders or CIFS clients that are doing the damage?

Hope to hear from you ASAP,

Randy Rue

jack1729 at gmail

Aug 6, 2012, 12:37 AM

Re: Identify a heavy CIFS hitter on a vfiler? [In reply to]

We use it all the time. It does put a smallll load but worth the info you get.

jack