Mailing List Archive: Netapp: toasters

Arp broadcasts from single vifs

Netapp toasters RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jeff.cleverley at avagotech

Jul 31, 2012, 4:31 PM

Arp broadcasts from single vifs

Greetings,

I thought I posted about this a while back but don't seem to be able
to find anything in my email or web searches. My apologies if this is
a duplicate.

We have some 7.3.5.1P4 filers running static multimode vifs, combined
into a second level single vif for failover. One vif has 4 or 6 1gig
links, and the other is a 10gig network port. We use the prefer to
run the 10gig as the primary. All this seems to work fine and pulling
cables, etc fails over properly.

My question is whether there is another way to set up a failover
configuration where the inactive links are not broadcasting the "who
has xxx" arp requests every 5-6 seconds? With 20 standby links, this
generates ~345K broadcast per day. This is causing arpwatch to create
a very large file and be moderately useless due to the noise. We do
have switches that could do LACP/dynamic multimode, but the network
guide says these cannot be put in a second level vif.

Is there anything we can do to get failover vifs and not have all the chatter?

Thanks,

Jeff

--
Jeff Cleverley
Unix Systems Administrator

andrey.borzenkov at ts

Jul 31, 2012, 8:26 PM

RE: Arp broadcasts from single vifs [In reply to]

I am not aware of any possibility to switch it off. It is intentional and used for link state monitoring. See

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=2011538
https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=3011219
https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=2015923

There could be hidden option; you may try to open support case and ask ...

[...]

Jeffrey.Steiner at netapp

Aug 1, 2012, 2:47 AM

RE: Arp broadcasts from single vifs [In reply to]

You can use LACP. This is a commonly misread part of the documentation, which states you can't use LACP groups "AS" second-level interface groups, but you can use them "IN" a second-level interface group. The intent of the documentation was to say that you can't take a pair of LACP ifgrps and combine them into another LACP ifgrp and then have some sort of giant LACP trunk where some bits are active and some aren't. There's no problem with making something like a 4-port LACP to one switch, another 4-port LACP trunk to another switch, and then combining them together as an active-passive second-level ifgrp.

[...]

Aug 1, 2012, 8:20 AM

Re: Arp broadcasts from single vifs [In reply to]

Jeff,

Thanks for the clarification. If I did this with a 10gig in one and
multiple 1gig lines in another with priority to the 10gig, will all
the 1gig lines still do the broadcast? I thought I saw a BURT about
them only checking at start up, but that also caused some lack of
failover because they were not aware the primary wasn't serving data.

Thanks,

Jeff

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 3:47 AM, Steiner, Jeffrey
<Jeffrey.Steiner [at] netapp> wrote:
> You can use LACP. This is a commonly misread part of the documentation, which states you can't use LACP groups "AS" second-level interface groups, but you can use them "IN" a second-level interface group. The intent of the documentation was to say that you can't take a pair of LACP ifgrps and combine them into another LACP ifgrp and then have some sort of giant LACP trunk where some bits are active and some aren't. There's no problem with making something like a 4-port LACP to one switch, another 4-port LACP trunk to another switch, and then combining them together as an active-passive second-level ifgrp.

Aug 1, 2012, 2:43 PM

RE: Arp broadcasts from single vifs [In reply to]

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what's going to happen with an LACP VIF that is inactive. I would have thought that just the LACP datagrams would be present, but I don't know for sure. I'll ask around, but you'll probably get a quicker response with a support case posing that question.

Thanks for the clarification. If I did this with a 10gig in one and multiple 1gig lines in another with priority to the 10gig, will all the 1gig lines still do the broadcast? I thought I saw a BURT about them only checking at start up, but that also caused some lack of failover because they were not aware the primary wasn't serving data.

Thanks,

Jeff

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 3:47 AM, Steiner, Jeffrey <Jeffrey.Steiner [at] netapp> wrote:
> You can use LACP. This is a commonly misread part of the documentation, which states you can't use LACP groups "AS" second-level interface groups, but you can use them "IN" a second-level interface group. The intent of the documentation was to say that you can't take a pair of LACP ifgrps and combine them into another LACP ifgrp and then have some sort of giant LACP trunk where some bits are active and some aren't. There's no problem with making something like a 4-port LACP to one switch, another 4-port LACP trunk to another switch, and then combining them together as an active-passive second-level ifgrp.

Aug 1, 2012, 2:47 PM

Re: Arp broadcasts from single vifs [In reply to]

Jeff,

I do have a case that has been open for ~1 week, but haven't heard
much back yet. It is being escalated so hopefully I'll hear something
in the next few days.

Thanks,

Jeff

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Steiner, Jeffrey

--
Jeff Cleverley
Unix Systems Administrator
4380 Ziegler Road
Fort Collins, Colorado 80525
970-288-4611

andrey.borzenkov at ts

Aug 1, 2012, 7:53 PM

RE: Arp broadcasts from single vifs [In reply to]

Yes, they will. ARP broadcasts are sent by single VIF layer to check connectivity.
Thanks for the clarification. If I did this with a 10gig in one and
multiple 1gig lines in another with priority to the 10gig, will all
the 1gig lines still do the broadcast? I thought I saw a BURT about
them only checking at start up, but that also caused some lack of
failover because they were not aware the primary wasn't serving data.

Thanks,

Jeff

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 3:47 AM, Steiner, Jeffrey
<Jeffrey.Steiner [at] netapp> wrote:
> You can use LACP. This is a commonly misread part of the documentation, which states you can't use LACP groups "AS" second-level interface groups, but you can use them "IN" a second-level interface group. The intent of the documentation was to say that you can't take a pair of LACP ifgrps and combine them into another LACP ifgrp and then have some sort of giant LACP trunk where some bits are active and some aren't. There's no problem with making something like a 4-port LACP to one switch, another 4-port LACP trunk to another switch, and then combining them together as an active-passive second-level ifgrp.

skendric at fhcrc

Aug 5, 2012, 4:44 PM

Re: Arp broadcasts from single vifs [In reply to]

For what is is worth, here's a diagram, complete with /etc/rc syntax and
Cisco IOS syntax, for doing precisely this (LACP groups within a
second-level interface group).
http://www.skendric.com/philosophy/uptime/Toast-Ethernet-IP.pdf

BTW: I find that yanking cables is an incomplete way to test host /
Ethernet / IP configurations ... it doesn't handle a range of failure
modes. For example, when an Ethernet switch reboots, link stays up (or
toggles only briefly), but packet forwarding is disabled for many
seconds, or even minutes, while the switch performs its hardware checks
(on every single port ... takes a long time, if the switch contains a
lot of ports) and loads its OS -- schemes which rely on link-only pass
the 'yank the cable' test but do not pass the 'reboot the Ethernet
switch' test.
http://www.skendric.com/philosophy/uptime/Testing-the-Transport-Side-of-Highly-Available-Hosts.pdf
[.The ONTAP section here is dated ... it claims that the LACP approach is
the /only/ NIC HA method which ONTAP supports ... that might have been
true when I wrote it, with the 7.2.x versions of ONTAP I was using ...
but per this discussion, that's inaccurate today: the default ARP
polling mechanism is also a possibility.]

hth,

--sk

Stuart Kendrick
FHCRC

On 8/1/2012 2:47 AM, Steiner, Jeffrey wrote:
> You can use LACP. This is a commonly misread part of the documentation, which states you can't use LACP groups "AS" second-level interface groups, but you can use them "IN" a second-level interface group. The intent of the documentation was to say that you can't take a pair of LACP ifgrps and combine them into another LACP ifgrp and then have some sort of giant LACP trunk where some bits are active and some aren't. There's no problem with making something like a 4-port LACP to one switch, another 4-port LACP trunk to another switch, and then combining them together as an active-passive second-level ifgrp.

Aug 8, 2012, 3:24 PM

Re: Arp broadcasts from single vifs [In reply to]

Greetings,

I thought I'd close this one out. I had our network guy change all
the 1G trunk connections to LACP, along with the 10G stand-alone
connection. The 4x1G connections are still doing the broadcast,
apparently because it is in a single mode ifgrp. I was hoping this
would the broadcasts but it doesn't :-)

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.

Jeff