Mailing List Archive: Netapp: toasters

Oracle (RHEL 5.7) on NFS (Ontap 8.1RC2) - complains of write

Netapp toasters RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

fcocquyt at stanford

Mar 28, 2012, 4:42 PM

Oracle (RHEL 5.7) on NFS (Ontap 8.1RC2) - complains of write

Hi, I'm not seeing write performance issues on the OS (throughput tests on the command line are > 100Mb/sec)

But Oracle is complaining about long commit times for the Netapp NFS mount with the following options:

rw,noatime,bg,hard,nointr,tcp,nfsvers=3,timeo=600,rsize=32768,wsize=32768 (matches what I see in Oracle and Netapp docs)

I'm working with the DBA to see if the Oracle tuning is optimal, but thought I'd poll this list for any nuggets of tuning Oracle on Netapp NFS

And the disk busy on this aggregate is only 10% - and the CPU reads 40-50%

thanks!

Fletcher

speedtoys.racing at gmail

Mar 28, 2012, 4:50 PM

Re: Oracle (RHEL 5.7) on NFS (Ontap 8.1RC2) - complains of write [In reply to]

I thought oracle over NFS wanted 'directio' as a mount option?

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Fletcher Cocquyt <fcocquyt [at] stanford>wrote:

> Hi, I'm not seeing write performance issues on the OS (throughput tests on
> the command line are > 100Mb/sec)
>
> But Oracle is complaining about long commit times for the Netapp NFS mount
> with the following options:
>
> rw,noatime,bg,hard,nointr,tcp,nfsvers=3,timeo=600,rsize=32768,wsize=32768
> (matches what I see in Oracle and Netapp docs)
>
> I'm working with the DBA to see if the Oracle tuning is optimal, but
> thought I'd poll this list for any nuggets of tuning Oracle on Netapp NFS
>
> And the disk busy on this aggregate is only 10% - and the CPU reads 40-50%
>
> thanks!
>
> Fletcher

---
Gustatus Similis Pullus

Bikash.Choudhury at netapp

Mar 28, 2012, 4:57 PM

Re: Oracle (RHEL 5.7) on NFS (Ontap 8.1RC2) - complains of write [In reply to]

There is no "directio mount option in Linux.

Bikash

I thought oracle over NFS wanted 'directio' as a mount option?

Hi, I'm not seeing write performance issues on the OS (throughput tests on the command line are > 100Mb/sec)

But Oracle is complaining about long commit times for the Netapp NFS mount with the following options:

rw,noatime,bg,hard,nointr,tcp,nfsvers=3,timeo=600,rsize=32768,wsize=32768 (matches what I see in Oracle and Netapp docs)

I'm working with the DBA to see if the Oracle tuning is optimal, but thought I'd poll this list for any nuggets of tuning Oracle on Netapp NFS

And the disk busy on this aggregate is only 10% - and the CPU reads 40-50%

thanks!

Fletcher

---
Gustatus Similis Pullus

speedtoys.racing at gmail

Mar 28, 2012, 5:04 PM

Re: Oracle (RHEL 5.7) on NFS (Ontap 8.1RC2) - complains of write [In reply to]

*nod*

Dont work much in the DB area..was not sure. :)

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Roy Choudhury, Bikash <
Bikash.Choudhury [at] netapp> wrote:

> There is no "directio mount option in Linux.
>
> Bikash
>
> On Mar 28, 2012, at 4:54 PM, "Jeff Mohler" <speedtoys.racing [at] gmail>
> wrote:
>
> I thought oracle over NFS wanted 'directio' as a mount option?
>

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Fletcher Cocquyt <fcocquyt [at] stanford>wrote:
>
>> Hi, I'm not seeing write performance issues on the OS (throughput tests
>> on the command line are > 100Mb/sec)
>>
>> But Oracle is complaining about long commit times for the Netapp NFS
>> mount with the following options:
>>
>> rw,noatime,bg,hard,nointr,tcp,nfsvers=3,timeo=600,rsize=32768,wsize=32768
>> (matches what I see in Oracle and Netapp docs)
>>
>> I'm working with the DBA to see if the Oracle tuning is optimal, but
>> thought I'd poll this list for any nuggets of tuning Oracle on Netapp NFS
>>
>> And the disk busy on this aggregate is only 10% - and the CPU reads
>> 40-50%
>>
>> thanks!
>>
>> Fletcher

> ---
> Gustatus Similis Pullus

---
Gustatus Similis Pullus

dan_j_finn at yahoo

Mar 28, 2012, 5:19 PM

Re: Oracle (RHEL 5.7) on NFS (Ontap 8.1RC2) - complains of write [In reply to]

I don't remember what it's called but there's also a way that you can have Oracle manage the NFS mounts directly from inside the app.  We did this at my last place and there was a performance improvement.  I think it's a newer feature that is part of 10G or 11G, sorry, don't know the Oracle stuff that well.

That being said, it seems like DBAs are always complaining about performance but I'm never able to see it when testing from my end.

________________________________
Dont work much in the DB area..was not sure.   :)

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Roy Choudhury, Bikash <Bikash.Choudhury [at] netapp> wrote:

There is no "directio mount option in Linux.

>Bikash
>
>On Mar 28, 2012, at 4:54 PM, "Jeff Mohler" <speedtoys.racing [at] gmail> wrote:
>

>I thought oracle over NFS wanted 'directio' as a mount option?
>>

>>On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Fletcher Cocquyt <fcocquyt [at] stanford> wrote:
>>
>>Hi, I'm not seeing write performance issues on the OS (throughput tests on the command line are > 100Mb/sec)
>>>

>>>But Oracle is complaining about long commit times for the Netapp NFS mount with the following options:

rw,noatime,bg,hard,nointr,tcp,nfsvers=3,timeo=600,rsize=32768,wsize=32768 (matches what I see in Oracle and Netapp docs)

>>>I'm working with the DBA to see if the Oracle tuning is optimal, but thought I'd poll this list for any nuggets of tuning Oracle on Netapp NFS
>>>

>>>And the disk busy on this aggregate is only 10% - and the CPU reads 40-50%
>>>

>>>thanks!
>>>
>>>Fletcher

>>--
>>---
>>Gustatus Similis Pullus

---
Gustatus Similis Pullus

speedtoys.racing at gmail

Mar 28, 2012, 5:22 PM

Re: Oracle (RHEL 5.7) on NFS (Ontap 8.1RC2) - complains of write [In reply to]

Direct nfs?

ya..its fast. :)

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Dan Finn <dan_j_finn [at] yahoo> wrote:

> I don't remember what it's called but there's also a way that you can have
> Oracle manage the NFS mounts directly from inside the app. We did this at
> my last place and there was a performance improvement. I think it's a
> newer feature that is part of 10G or 11G, sorry, don't know the Oracle
> stuff that well.
>
> That being said, it seems like DBAs are always complaining about
> performance but I'm never able to see it when testing from my end.

> *Sent:* Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:04 PM
> *Subject:* Re: Oracle (RHEL 5.7) on NFS (Ontap 8.1RC2) - complains of
> write
>
> *nod*
>
> Dont work much in the DB area..was not sure. :)
>
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Roy Choudhury, Bikash <
> Bikash.Choudhury [at] netapp> wrote:
>
> There is no "directio mount option in Linux.
>
> Bikash
>
> On Mar 28, 2012, at 4:54 PM, "Jeff Mohler" <speedtoys.racing [at] gmail>
> wrote:
>
> I thought oracle over NFS wanted 'directio' as a mount option?
>

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Fletcher Cocquyt <fcocquyt [at] stanford>wrote:
>
> Hi, I'm not seeing write performance issues on the OS (throughput tests
> on the command line are > 100Mb/sec)
>
> But Oracle is complaining about long commit times for the Netapp NFS
> mount with the following options:
>
> rw,noatime,bg,hard,nointr,tcp,nfsvers=3,timeo=600,rsize=32768,wsize=32768
> (matches what I see in Oracle and Netapp docs)
>
> I'm working with the DBA to see if the Oracle tuning is optimal, but
> thought I'd poll this list for any nuggets of tuning Oracle on Netapp NFS
>
> And the disk busy on this aggregate is only 10% - and the CPU reads
> 40-50%
>
> thanks!
>
> Fletcher

> ---
> Gustatus Similis Pullus

> ---
> Gustatus Similis Pullus

---
Gustatus Similis Pullus

charles.salisbury at gentex

Mar 28, 2012, 5:30 PM

RE: Oracle (RHEL 5.7) on NFS (Ontap 8.1RC2) - complains of write [In reply to]

I would second this - using DirectNFS we found greatly increased
performance over native NFS. You can also use the multipathing in
DirectNFS to see some additional performance benefits.

[...]

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENTS SENT FROM GENTEX CORPORATION IS GENTEX CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION INTENDED ONLY FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY NAMED ABOVE. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail, and delete this e-mail message and any attachments from your computer.

Matt_Zito at bmc

Mar 28, 2012, 5:48 PM

RE: Oracle (RHEL 5.7) on NFS (Ontap 8.1RC2) - complains of write [In reply to]

DirectNFS - if you're using 11gR1 or newer, you should definitely use that.

Matt
[...]

Mar 28, 2012, 5:56 PM

Re: Oracle (RHEL 5.7) on NFS (Ontap 8.1RC2) - complains of write [In reply to]

Yup, that was it.

________________________________
[...]

tmacmd at gmail

Mar 28, 2012, 6:05 PM

Re: Oracle (RHEL 5.7) on NFS (Ontap 8.1RC2) - complains of write [In reply to]

Easy to set up too.
The newer versions (of Oracle) have a script.
If you have only a single network out of the db server, you simply replace one
of the oracle libraries with the directnfs library (it is part of the script).

If you have more than one network connection from your server to your NetApp,
you still would need to configure a simple file defining source/dest
paths and mounts.

Very easy. Each oracle process needing to access files gets its own
port to communicate
on and oracle handles all the appropriate file locking as needed.

Linux, Solaris, AIX, Windows(using DirectNFS) are all supposed to
perform about the same.

--tmac
         Tim McCarthy
     Principal Consultant

  RedHat Certified Engineer
   804006984323821 (RHEL4)
   805007643429572 (RHEL5)

fcocquyt at stanford

Mar 29, 2012, 5:24 PM

Re: Oracle (RHEL 5.7) on NFS (Ontap 8.1RC2) - complains of write [In reply to]

Our DBA configured dNFS and killed off some other oracle backup jobs and now they are happy with 3x throughput on the database

thanks to all who responded - this list a great go to resource!

Fletcher.