Mailing List Archive: Netapp: toasters

Experience with Backup Software using NDMP

Netapp toasters RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

sknauf at chipxonio

Mar 2, 2012, 8:52 AM

Experience with Backup Software using NDMP

Hi Toasters,

we consider to buy a new Backup Software and i don't know whats the best
Software. Now, we are using Netvault (vian ndmp)but it don't works very well
(e.g. problems with deduplication.....).

We backup ~ 10 TB via NDMP to a LTO 5 Tapelibrary. Perhaps someone have
experience with other Backup Software. Netvault sucks generally ;(

greets

Steffen

abs at blueskystudios

Mar 2, 2012, 9:46 AM

Re: Experience with Backup Software using NDMP [In reply to]

They all pretty much suck. Take a look at Oracle Secure Backup (used to be "Reliaty", and before that "QuickRestore"). Their support is pretty bad (like it's almost an orphaned product), but the pricing is really good. If you can tolerate their issues, they have a really well-designed piece of software, with very good NDMP support. We used them from 2003-2011. Now we use EMC/Legato NetWorker, which has great support, but is a crufty old system with a lot of idiosyncrasies.

On 3/2/12 11:52 AM, Steffen Knauf wrote:
> Hi Toasters,
>
> we consider to buy a new Backup Software and i don't know whats the best
> Software. Now, we are using Netvault (vian ndmp)but it don't works very
> well (e.g. problems with deduplication.....).
>
> We backup ~ 10 TB via NDMP to a LTO 5 Tapelibrary. Perhaps someone have
> experience with other Backup Software. Netvault sucks generally ;(
>
> greets
>
> Steffen

bryer at sfu

Mar 2, 2012, 9:56 AM

Re: Experience with Backup Software using NDMP [In reply to]

We've been using NetBackup for around 12 years now (replacing BudTool). We've moved from going
direct to tape, to going to disk now. We also make use of SnapVault, but there is no tape involved
there. If you have any specific questions around NetBackup feel free to contact me.

Lately (the past half year or so), a lot of different people have been trying to push CommVault to
me. Hopefully there is someone here with experience who can speak to that product.

we consider to buy a new Backup Software and i don't know whats the best Software. Now, we are using Netvault (vian ndmp)but it don't works very well (e.g. problems with deduplication.....).

We backup ~ 10 TB via NDMP to a LTO 5 Tapelibrary. Perhaps someone have experience with other Backup Software. Netvault sucks generally ;(

greets

Steffen

smilne at claytonsonline

Mar 2, 2012, 11:03 AM

RE: Experience with Backup Software using NDMP [In reply to]

Hi All,

I've lurked for a long time but never replied so if I'm not doing it correctly (reply all) someone please correct me. This list has been a great resource for me. Thanks.

I've been using CommVault for a long time, 4+ years for NDMP against two 3020's. Using this along with SnapManager for SQL and snap-shots to a 2050 in DR has been proven rock solid, no issues at all, that is besides constantly remembering these are getting old and need replacement.

If you have any Commvault specific questions I'll try to help. We're at Version 8 I believe. I use NetApp De-Dupe, not Commvault and it has not been an issue thankfully as we are so short on disk that without dedupe some volumes would be full :(

Scott Milne, CIO
MCP, MCSE
The Clayton Companies
1355 Campus Parkway
Wall Township, NJ 07712

"Vision without execution is a hallucination." - Thomas Edison

Mailing:
1355 Campus Parkway
Neptune, NJ 07753

Office 732-751-7612
Fax 732-751-7614

cc:
Enc:

we consider to buy a new Backup Software and i don't know whats the best Software. Now, we are using Netvault (vian ndmp)but it don't works very well (e.g. problems with deduplication.....).

We backup ~ 10 TB via NDMP to a LTO 5 Tapelibrary. Perhaps someone have experience with other Backup Software. Netvault sucks generally ;(

greets

Steffen

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and contain privileged or copyright information. You must not present this message to another party without gaining permission from the sender. If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or use this email or the information contained in it for any purpose other than to notify us. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete this email from your system. We do not guarantee that this material is free from viruses or any other defects although due care has been taken to minimize the risk.

sclassen at lbl

Mar 2, 2012, 11:19 AM

Re: Experience with Backup Software using NDMP [In reply to]

I'm using Syncsort BEX to do NDMP backups to a Spectralogic LTO4 library and have been quite satisfied with it. I haven't used other software so can't really give you my opinion on how it would compare.
Cheers,
Scott

On Mar 2, 2012, at 8:52 AM, "Steffen Knauf" <sknauf [at] chipxonio> wrote:

> Hi Toasters,
>
> we consider to buy a new Backup Software and i don't know whats the best Software. Now, we are using Netvault (vian ndmp)but it don't works very well (e.g. problems with deduplication.....).
> We backup ~ 10 TB via NDMP to a LTO 5 Tapelibrary. Perhaps someone have experience with other Backup Software. Netvault sucks generally ;(
>
> greets
>
> Steffen

smilne at claytonsonline

Mar 2, 2012, 11:35 AM

RE: Experience with Backup Software using NDMP [In reply to]

I should add we dump to a Scalar 50 as well as disk (mostly disk) with CommVault. It really has been awesome, no problems at all. I will add that it takes a lot of getting used to as there is an enormous amount of controls in the system to ensure retention etc. IT MAKES YOU KEEP STUFF if it thinks you screwed up.

If you’re used to something else you’ll hate it at first but once it’s dialed in, it’s great. At least it is here but it took a lot of getting used to as I’ve used and was comfortable with all the other big players. In this case it was like starting all over again. It’s complicated enough that I don’t feel comfortable delegating its management out to others unless they have spent time with it.

Ps. No I’m not on CommVault payroll. In fact I just paid support… it’s not that bad at all. (Hope Glenn doesn’t read this part..)