Mailing List Archive: Netapp: toasters

dedup changed in 8.1?

Netapp toasters RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

fcocquyt at stanford

Feb 9, 2012, 9:40 AM

dedup changed in 8.1?

Last night (first since the upgrade from 7.3.5.1P2 to 8.1RC2) we experienced much higher load on our 3270 cluster and some VM timeouts coinciding with our dedup schedule (11pm -2am)

Anyone heard if dedup changed in 8.1?

I am disabling the regular dedup schedule until this is sorted out

thanks

Fletcher
Attachments: PastedGraphic-13.png (14.4 KB)

speedtoys.racing at gmail

Feb 9, 2012, 9:49 AM

Re: dedup changed in 8.1? [In reply to]

Id grab a lot more data, than CPU use...which indicates very little on it's
own.

I agree you had a problem, but CPU % wasn't the cause.

Say hi to Vivian for me! :)

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Fletcher Cocquyt <fcocquyt [at] stanford>wrote:

> Last night (first since the upgrade from 7.3.5.1P2 to 8.1RC2) we
> experienced much higher load on our 3270 cluster and some VM timeouts
> coinciding with our dedup schedule (11pm -2am)
>
> Anyone heard if dedup changed in 8.1?
>
> I am disabling the regular dedup schedule until this is sorted out
>

> thanks
>
> Fletcher

---
Gustatus Similis Pullus
Attachments: PastedGraphic-13.png (14.4 KB)

fcocquyt at stanford

Feb 9, 2012, 11:41 PM

Re: dedup changed in 8.1? [In reply to]

Day2 after the 8.1RC2 upgrade -
All quiet on the (disabled) dedup front - will need to engage the lead engineers on this one since we like the dedup savings, but not the 100's of VMs starving for IO.

Fletcher Cocquyt
Principal Engineer
Information Resources and Technology (IRT)
Stanford University School of Medicine

Email: fcocquyt [at] stanford
Phone: (650) 724-7485

On Feb 9, 2012, at 9:40 AM, Fletcher Cocquyt wrote:

> Last night (first since the upgrade from 7.3.5.1P2 to 8.1RC2) we experienced much higher load on our 3270 cluster and some VM timeouts coinciding with our dedup schedule (11pm -2am)
>
> Anyone heard if dedup changed in 8.1?
>
> I am disabling the regular dedup schedule until this is sorted out
>
> <PastedGraphic-13.png>
>
> thanks
>
> Fletcher

Attachments: PastedGraphic-19.png (17.7 KB)
  PastedGraphic-3.png (10.3 KB)

scl at virginia

Feb 10, 2012, 4:49 AM

Re: dedup changed in 8.1? [In reply to]

> Day2 after the 8.1RC2 upgrade -
> All quiet on the (disabled) dedup front - will need to engage the lead engineers on this one since we like the dedup savings, but not the 100's of VMs starving for IO.

After a major upgrade, ONTAP usually runs a background job to upgrade the
WAFL filesystem. Maybe that is what caused your load problems. Presumably
that has finished, so perhaps you can enable dedupe again.

> > Last night (first since the upgrade from 7.3.5.1P2 to 8.1RC2) we experienced much higher load on our 3270 cluster and some VM timeouts coinciding with our dedup schedule (11pm -2am)
> >
> > Anyone heard if dedup changed in 8.1?
> >
> > I am disabling the regular dedup schedule until this is sorted out
> >
> > <PastedGraphic-13.png>
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Fletcher

Steve Losen scl [at] virginia phone: 434-924-0640

University of Virginia ITC Unix Support