Mailing List Archive: Netapp: toasters

vfiler migrate

Netapp toasters RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

rrue at fhcrc

Feb 7, 2012, 12:14 PM

vfiler migrate

A co-worker of mine already posted on this but we're coming up with more
questions.

We successfully tested the migration of a test vFiler from one node to the
other and back. Took 3-4 minutes each way for a vFiler with one aggregate
and two "disks" (it's actually got a 3Par SAN on the back end).

Then we tried a vFiler with two aggregates of 14 and 15 "disks." It went
from A to B with no trouble, took closer to six minutes.

When moving it back from B to A it blew up. Got the following at the CLI:
tungsten-a> vfiler migrate -m nocopy fhdata [at] tungsten-
tungsten-b's Administrative login: root
tungsten-b's Administrative password:
Stopping remote vfiler....
vfiler migrate: Aggregate 'fhdata_aggr1' has failed and cannot be brought
online.
Problem bringing aggr fhdata_aggr1 online: CR_VOL_FAILED
vfiler migrate: No aggregate named 'fhdata_aggr2' exists.
Couldn't find aggr fhdata_aggr2 in order to bring it online
vfiler migrate: No volume named 'fhdata_root' exists.
Couldn't find flex-volume fhdata_root in order to bring it online
vfiler migrate: No volume named 'fhdata_shared' exists.
Couldn't find flex-volume fhdata_shared in order to bring it online
vfiler migrate: No volume named 'fhdata_viddshared' exists.
Couldn't find flex-volume fhdata_viddshared in order to bring it online
Problem bringing vfiler fhdata volumes online.
tungsten-a>
tungsten-a> vfiler status -r fhdata
Vfiler not found: fhdata
tungsten-a>

At first there was no sign of the vFiler, aggregates or volumes on either
A or B. After a few minutes, part of one aggregate was visible on A. A few
minutes after that we could see both aggregates and all disks. Brought the
aggregates online and the all the volumes.

The vFiler is still gone, no sign of it on either node.

Does the vfiler migrate command support vFilers with more than one
aggregate? Note that all the volumes for the vFiler live on two aggregates
and no other volumes are on those aggregates.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know where the configs for a
vFiler actually live? Right now my hope is to rebuild the vFiler and
reattach the volumes but I'm hoping to at least be able to see what CIFS
shares it had, for example. We save a nightly tarball of the complete
contents of etc$ so if it's in a config file somewhere I can find it.

On the phone with NetApp support right now but I'm hoping someone has
experience with this in the real world. Hope to hear from you.

Randy

rrue at fhcrc

Feb 7, 2012, 12:38 PM

RE: vfiler migrate [In reply to]

Some progress.

I added a CIFS share to the vFiler's root volume at the host node level
and can see things like the cirs share config file and exports, etc.
Copied off etc for a backup.

Tried recreating the vFiler from FilerView, intending to overwrite config
info, but the vFiler wizard squawks at the "create vfiler" step, saying
"Vfiler creation failed: Operation not allowed because storage is still in
use by the owning vfiler." Looks like even though the vFiler isn't running
or visible it's still stuck in there somewhere.

Tried offlining the volumes and got a different error that the etc folder
couldn't be reached.

[...]

sgelb at insightinvestments

Feb 7, 2012, 9:15 PM

RE: vfiler migrate [In reply to]

Sounds like a bug...did support find an issue and file a burt? The
vfiler itself keeps the configuration of shares in /etc like a physical
controller, but the physical controller uses the registry in vfiler0
which isn't modifiable (without support). You could try vfiler create
-r to recreate the vfiler with the existing root volume (then you don't
have to reconfigure settings either), but sounds like something might be
stuck in the registry if it doesn't report the vfiler exists but errors
when creating with the exists error.

What did support say? Best to run with them after seeing the messages
reported..