Mailing List Archive: Netapp: toasters

MS Cluster clients locked out of LUNs

Netapp toasters RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

skendric at fhcrc

Jan 24, 2012, 5:05 AM

MS Cluster clients locked out of LUNs

Hi folks,

After a takeover, we find that some (though not all) LUNs allocated to
Microsoft Clustering clients show up in the Microsoft GUI as 'offline'
or 'failed'. Rebooting the clients doesn't help. When we disable the
Cluster disk drivers (make the client a simple iSCSI client), we can
connect, read & write, etc. On the filer side, no sign of a
reservation. We've replicated this behavior on three occasions over the
last year (every time we experience a takeover, either administratively
induced or accident induced).

The clients run SnapDrive & SnapManager for SQL Server. To resolve
this, we copy our data off (while connected via the vanilla iSCSI
client), destroy the LUNs, rebuild, copy data back. Alternatively, we
can wait a few days (not sure how many), whereupon the issue resolves
itself (we've seen this once ... test environment).

Anyone else seen this? Insights? What might be happening?

NetApp v3140 running 7.3.5.1P5
Spinning rust provided by 3Par T800
Clients running Win2008R2

--sk

Stuart Kendrick
FHCRC

sklise at hotmail

Jan 24, 2012, 8:06 AM

RE: MS Cluster clients locked out of LUNs [In reply to]

My 1st guess would have been fiber zoning but if some of the disks are showing up..., but maybe your using iSCSi. If your using fiber channel, make sure the zones have both filers in them...

A tool you can use is called syscompare. http://download.cnet.com/SysCompare/3000-2094_4-10911660.html.. It compares everything and lets you know what maybe different such as:
missing drivers and or driver version diffs
mismatch services
Could be an issue with the version of snapdrive and iscsi initiator.

I know the Vseries had specific configurations and constraints. Maybe its worth opening a case, especially if you can reproduce it.