Mailing List Archive: Netapp: toasters
Snapshot reserve

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

vince at blueskystudios

Nov 10, 2011, 2:34 PM

Snapshot reserve

We tend to have very large file systems (largest NetApp one is > 40tb),
and the default 20% snapshot reserve starts to be a huge waste of space.
Is there any good reason not to just set it to 0%? The snapshotted files
aren't limited by the reserve, so what's the real point of it? A lot of
times we end up with reserves that are only a few % in use, so it's
truly wasted space. I've been setting those ones to have small reserves,
and the discussion ensued whether it's worth having any reserve at all.

Blue Sky Studios
Toasters mailing list
Toasters [at] teaparty