Mailing List Archive: Netapp: toasters
Snapshot reserve

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

vince at blueskystudios

Nov 10, 2011, 2:34 PM

Snapshot reserve

We tend to have very large file systems (largest NetApp one is > 40tb),
and the default 20% snapshot reserve starts to be a huge waste of space.
Is there any good reason not to just set it to 0%? The snapshotted files
aren't limited by the reserve, so what's the real point of it? A lot of
times we end up with reserves that are only a few % in use, so it's
truly wasted space. I've been setting those ones to have small reserves,
and the discussion ensued whether it's worth having any reserve at all.

Thanks.

Vince
Blue Sky Studios