Mailing List Archive: Netapp: toasters

Hosting and branding of toasters list (was "Re: Google Groups?")

Netapp toasters RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

cba at ccs

Aug 24, 2011, 8:52 AM

Hosting and branding of toasters list (was "Re: Google Groups?")

I read Brian's proposal as three separate arguments:

1) The toasters mailing list should not be hosted on a domain which many
people would probably associate with a political group. ("sends a
political message")

2) The toasters mailing list should not be hosted by an organization which
is smaller in size than Google Inc. ("moving from one boutique mailing
list hosting service to another")

3) Google Inc the best choice to host the toasters mailing list. ("moving
from one boutique mailing list hosting service to another")

Several people have replied to Brian's initial email with some variant of
"Agreed". To those people I ask: To which parts (some? all?) of Brian's
suggestion are you agreeing?

I'm inclined to concur with point number one. I realize that Tom has held
registration of teaparty.net since before the onset of the current
political movement and that (as per the disclaimer at the top of
http://teaparty.net/) he disclaims any and all affiliation with said
political movement - a point which it seems may have been lost on one or
two respondents - but I agree with Brian that the domain name has the
potential to be misinterpreted by others who (as such) might be
disinclined to consider joining the list or who might otherwise be
confused as to the list's purpose or tenor.

That being said, I do not agree with points two and three. I think it is
lovely that toasters has moved back to its initial home on the internet
(and thank you to the original founders, everyone who has provided hosting
over the years, and the current host for all that you have done!), and I
see no need to move the list to Google Groups or any other host.

It appears that the domain name 'toasters.net' is available for
registration, and I would be happy to register it on Tom's behalf, if he
is so interested. Tom?

Respectfully,

-Chris Allison
--
UNIX Systems Administrator
College of Computer and Information Science

ag at anexia

Aug 24, 2011, 10:54 AM

AW: Hosting and branding of toasters list (was "Re: Google Groups?") [In reply to]

> It appears that the domain name 'toasters.net' is available for
registration, and I would be happy to
> register it on Tom's behalf, if he is so interested. Tom?

+1

Domain names are cheap, so if that is the only issue, I'm either
participating in funding the domain name or would register it right
away.

Bye,
Alex

rvandolson at esri

Aug 24, 2011, 11:09 AM

Re: Hosting and branding of toasters list (was "Re: Google Groups?") [In reply to]

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 08:52:51AM -0700, Christopher B. Allison wrote:
> I read Brian's proposal as three separate arguments:
>
> 1) The toasters mailing list should not be hosted on a domain which many
> people would probably associate with a political group. ("sends a
> political message")
>
> 2) The toasters mailing list should not be hosted by an organization which
> is smaller in size than Google Inc. ("moving from one boutique mailing
> list hosting service to another")
>
> 3) Google Inc the best choice to host the toasters mailing list. ("moving
> from one boutique mailing list hosting service to another")
>
> Several people have replied to Brian's initial email with some variant of
> "Agreed". To those people I ask: To which parts (some? all?) of Brian's
> suggestion are you agreeing?
>
> I'm inclined to concur with point number one. I realize that Tom has held
> registration of teaparty.net since before the onset of the current
> political movement and that (as per the disclaimer at the top of
> http://teaparty.net/) he disclaims any and all affiliation with said
> political movement - a point which it seems may have been lost on one or
> two respondents - but I agree with Brian that the domain name has the
> potential to be misinterpreted by others who (as such) might be
> disinclined to consider joining the list or who might otherwise be
> confused as to the list's purpose or tenor.
>
> That being said, I do not agree with points two and three. I think it is
> lovely that toasters has moved back to its initial home on the internet
> (and thank you to the original founders, everyone who has provided hosting
> over the years, and the current host for all that you have done!), and I
> see no need to move the list to Google Groups or any other host.
>
> It appears that the domain name 'toasters.net' is available for
> registration, and I would be happy to register it on Tom's behalf, if he
> is so interested. Tom?

I like the idea of registering toasters.net -- is it affordably
obtainable? Someone is probably squatting it.

> Respectfully,
>
> -Chris Allison
> --
> UNIX Systems Administrator
> College of Computer and Information Science
> Northeastern University, Boston, MA

Ray

reginald.jefferson at vololabs

Aug 24, 2011, 1:54 PM

RE: Hosting and branding of toasters list (was "Re: Google Groups?") [In reply to]

Chris - toasters.net is a great idea that seems hard to disagree with. teaparty.net is fine with me too.

Tom - THANK YOU for hosting this list for all of us.

Reggie

Reginald Jefferson
Sr. NetApp Support Engineer
Volo Labs