Mailing List Archive: Netapp: toasters
Re: Hot remove disk shelves?

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

johnpc at xs4all

Jun 2, 2011, 8:25 AM

Re: Hot remove disk shelves? [In reply to]

On 2011 Jun 2, at 16:45 , Steiner, Jeffrey wrote:
> It may appear to work at first, but you'll have a panic and crash eventually. It might last a week or two, but you'll eventually have problems.

I accidentally removed a shelf full of unowned disks once from a production machine, and that worked without a (technical) problem. It is however unsupported by netapp, so I got mildly grilled by my coworkers for putting a production filer in danger.

In this case, the shelf I removed was the only one on that loop. That might make things slightly "better", but I don't know for sure.

You definitely want to unown the disks first, regardless of whether you power down or not.

Note that takeover isn't going to help. At least not in the normal takeover situation. Both partners see the same disks, so the one that's still up still sees a shelf disappearing.

Powering down seems to me like your only (supported) option.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc [at] xs4all>
"People are continuously reinventing the flat tyre".