Mailing List Archive: Netapp: toasters
Hot remove disk shelves?

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

scl at sasha

Jun 2, 2011, 6:03 AM

Hot remove disk shelves?

Hello Toasters,

We have a FAS3170 HA pair with some SATA disk shelves (AT-FCX)
attached to the end of a chain where none of the disks are in use
(all are spares, all have ownership assigned). We are running
ONTAP 8.0.1.

The chain is singly attached to both controllers, i.e., the
shelf "A" modules are chained to a single FC adapter on one
controller and the shelf "B" modules are chained to a single
FC adapter on the other controller.

The shelves we want to remove are at the far end of the chain.
Essentially we want to undo the result of a hot shelf add without
downtime.

Is it possible to hot remove these shelves? Would it help to
"un-own" the disks first?

I suppose this could be done using CF takeover/giveback
but that might be too disruptive.

Steve Losen scl [at] virginia phone: 434-924-0640

University of Virginia ITC Unix Support