Mailing List Archive: Netapp: toasters

Moving disks to another controller (head)

Netapp toasters RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

scl at sasha

Moving disks to another controller (head)

Hi Toasters,

I need to physically move some disks/aggregates to another
controller. Do you see anything wrong with this procedure?

1) upgrade DOT to the same version on both heads (7.3.3)

2) shut down and power off both heads

3) physically move the disk shelves

4) boot the destination head in maintenance mode and use
"disk assign" to take ownership of the moved disks

5) boot the destination head normally

6) aggr online the foreign aggregates

I am concerned about step 4 above. Will it work or do I need
to boot the source filer in maintenance mode and change the disk
ownership to the destination head before moving the disks?

In step 5 some of the foreign aggregates will have names that
conflict with native aggregates. I presume that when ONTAP
boots it will automatically rename the foreign aggrs as
necessary. Or must I rename them on the source filer beforehand?

I know that some of you do this routinely, so I appreciate
any words of advice.

Steve Losen scl [at] virginia phone: 434-924-0640

University of Virginia ITC Unix Support

bryer at sfu

Re: Moving disks to another controller (head) [In reply to]

If you are just adding the shelves to another system you can choose to hot add them.

Otherwise what you've outlined is similar to a head swap (docs for that are on NOW).

No you don't need to unown the disks on the source filer.

The foreign aggregates will be renamed, used to add (1) to the name, but it's been awhile since
I've done that.

And of course, make sure you keep track of anything for those volumes that could be lost (LUN mappings,
CIFS shares, maybe snapshot schedules, etc).

--
Jeff Bryer bryer [at] sfu
Systems Administrator (778) 782-1016

Peter.Learmonth at netapp

RE: Moving disks to another controller (head) [In reply to]

Hi Guys
I'm pretty sure you do need to take care of ownership of disks. I would do a modified version of step 4 and "disk remove_ownership" in maint mode on the source heads. Then do disk assign after adding to the destination. You don't have to type in the sysid or worry about which one goes where.

Also, in step 1, make sure FW of both disks and shelves is up to date before moving stuff. Should happen automagically as part of upgrading DOT.

Nuking old vols/aggrs and zeroing can be done at destination. As Jeff said, any foreign aggrs will be listed as such, and any dupe names get (number) appended to their name.

Peter

[...]

romeotheriault at gmail

Re: Moving disks to another controller (head) [In reply to]

I've done this kind of thing a few times and by far the biggest hassle is
dealing with the server side of things. (i.e. getting all of the hosts to
look for their luns/cifs/nfs vols on a new head)

Roughly, here are the steps I took for moving some shelves to a new head a
while back.

* create new igroups/iscsi security on the destination head
* get a new /etc/exports file ready ahead of time (on destination head) with
the new vols that will be exported.
* get new /etc/exports file ready ahead of time (on source head) that has
the moving volumes removed from it, so it doesn't complain about missing
vols.
* unmap luns that are going to move to new head.
* boot into maint. mode and offline the moving aggregates
* shutdown the filer
* move shelf to new head and cable up
* disk assign
* aggr online
* aggr rename
* map back luns to hosts
* copy over new exports file and export the new vols (exportfs -a)

Good luck!

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 7:28 AM, Steve Losen <scl [at] sasha>wrote:

> Hi Toasters,
>
> I need to physically move some disks/aggregates to another
> controller. Do you see anything wrong with this procedure?
>
> 1) upgrade DOT to the same version on both heads (7.3.3)
>
> 2) shut down and power off both heads
>
> 3) physically move the disk shelves
>
> 4) boot the destination head in maintenance mode and use
> "disk assign" to take ownership of the moved disks
>
> 5) boot the destination head normally
>
> 6) aggr online the foreign aggregates
>

> I am concerned about step 4 above. Will it work or do I need
> to boot the source filer in maintenance mode and change the disk
> ownership to the destination head before moving the disks?
>
> In step 5 some of the foreign aggregates will have names that
> conflict with native aggregates. I presume that when ONTAP
> boots it will automatically rename the foreign aggrs as
> necessary. Or must I rename them on the source filer beforehand?
>
> I know that some of you do this routinely, so I appreciate
> any words of advice.
>
> Steve Losen scl [at] virginia phone: 434-924-0640
>
> University of Virginia ITC Unix Support

--
Romeo Theriault
System Administrator
Information Technology Services

scl at sasha

Re: Moving disks to another controller (head) [In reply to]

Hi Folks,

Thanks so much for all of your responses. It looks like my plan below will
work fine. However, I didn't make it clear that I am moving some (but not
all) disks/aggregates from the source filer to the destination filer. The
source and destination filers will both remain in production after the
move. I don't think that this matters, but just thought I would check.

We are moving some of our equipment to a new building and for DR we need to
keep primary volumes and their snapmirror copies in different buildings.

A more complete picture of the plan:

1) upgrade DOT to the same version on both heads (8.0.1)

2) shut down and power off both heads

3) physically move the disk shelves

4) boot the destination head in maintenance mode and use
"disk assign" to take ownership of the moved disks

5) boot the destination head normally

6) aggr online the foreign aggregates

7) aggr rename the foreign aggregates to get rid of aggrX(N) names

8) boot the source head normally, which now has fewer aggregates.

At step 4) when booted in maintenance mode, I believe that all
aggrs are offline so it is safe to assign disk ownership
without risk of data corruption. The disks need not be unowned.

At step 8) I presume the source filer may notice that some
of its former aggregates/volumes are missing, but it will
soldier on.

Anyone see any obvious trouble?

Thanks again!