Mailing List Archive: Netapp: toasters

Easy way to monitor options?

Netapp toasters RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

ddunham at taos

Easy way to monitor options?

I would like to check the options on my filers for various items, but
I'm not sure the best way to do it. Could anyone tell me if I'm missing
something?

SNMP and Operations Manager: I don't see that I can pull the data from
either of these sources.

SSH and SDK access: I could create an account, but it seems to me that the only
restriction available is the ability to run the "options" command.
There's no way to grant an account read-only access to the data. I'd
rather not give the monitor direct access to modify things.

NFS: The current options appear to be visible as a local file in /etc,
but creating NFS access to vol0 for lots of filers for a single file
seems more of a hassle to me.

At the moment I'm leaning toward a collector that would poll all the
filers via SSH or SDK to run "options" and dump that into static files
on a normal export that the monitoring system could examine. Anyone have
any other suggestions?

Thanks!

--
Darren

Scott.Schneidewind at netapp

RE: Easy way to monitor options? [In reply to]

Operations Manager (DFM) offers the ability to compare the
configurations of all the systems, and report on any differences.

1. Download DFM plugins for all relevant versions of Data ONTAP.

2. In the DFM GUI, go to Management > Storage System > Configuration
Files

3. Create a new configuration file and call it something similar to
baseline.options.config.

4. In DFM GUI, go to Management > Storage System > Compare
Configurations

5. Compare the baseline.options.config to the other filers that should
have the same configuration information.

6. Refresh and click on the completed job to view any differences

-Scott

RE: Easy way to monitor options? [In reply to]

You should talk with your NetApp account team.

Most of the new systems include Operations Manager (DFM) software at no
charge.