Mailing List Archive: Netapp: toasters

lun resize of FCP vmware lun

Netapp toasters RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

sysadmin.linux at gmail

lun resize of FCP vmware lun

Can I do lun resize of live vmware lun? What are the steps in Vmware (just
rescan?) any consideration?

bacardicoke at gmail

Re: lun resize of FCP vmware lun [In reply to]

Hey Linux!

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Linux Admin <sysadmin.linux [at] gmail> wrote:
> Can I do lun resize of live vmware lun? What are the steps in Vmware (just
> rescan?) any consideration?

Well, one important thing to know is that (afaik) VMFS3 doesn't
support resizing so:

1. You cannot shrink the LUN without taking the chance of possibly
corrupting the data on it
2. You cannot grow the LUN and expect VMFS3 to take advantage of the new space.

What you can do is concatenate a new LUN to an already existing
datastore, which VMWare calls extents, but that would mean that if one
of the two LUNs would get corrupted, you're SOL.

HTH & HAND

--
Simple guidelines to happiness:
Work like you don't need the money,

Netapp toasters RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded