Mailing List Archive: Nessus: users

SCAP audit file for Windows 2008

Nessus users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

james.kelly at securicon

Feb 5, 2009, 6:09 AM

SCAP audit file for Windows 2008

I checked the Nessus/Tenable support site and didn't see a scap file for
Windows 2008. I noticed that the SCAP files were still in the beta stage.
Does anyone have a sense if it would be "reasonable" to use the Windows 2003
files on Windows 2008. I've not had the chance yet to see Windows 2008 and I
don't know how similar it is to 2003.

Jim K

nessus at the-jedi

Feb 5, 2009, 7:33 AM

Re: SCAP audit file for Windows 2008 [In reply to]

James Kelly wrote:

[snip]
> I've not had the chance yet to see Windows 2008 and I don't know how
> similar it is to 2003.

2008 is vista-based, 2003 is xp-based; so no, not exactly "similar"!

--
Simon John
nessus at the-jedi.co.uk

rgula at tenablesecurity

Feb 5, 2009, 8:13 AM

Re: SCAP audit file for Windows 2008 [In reply to]

James Kelly wrote:
> I checked the Nessus/Tenable support site and didn't see a scap file for
> Windows 2008. I noticed that the SCAP files were still in the beta stage.
> Does anyone have a sense if it would be "reasonable" to use the Windows 2003
> files on Windows 2008. I've not had the chance yet to see Windows 2008 and I
> don't know how similar it is to 2003.

We have 2008 content in development right now.

However, if you want to get 2008 audits right away, you can use the i2a tool
from our support portal and convert any .inf policy file for 2008 into a Nessus
.audit file. It won't have rich content like the SCAP policies, but you will
be able to quickly audit for these required or suggested settings.

There are .inf hardening files for 2008 available from DISA and Microsoft at
these links:

http://iase.disa.mil/stigs/checklist/windows_2008_checklist_v6r1_2_20081226.zip

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a46f1dbe-760c-4807-a82f-4f02ae3c97b0&displaylang=en

(note - to get the Microsoft .inf hardening files for 2008, you need to install
their GPO Accelerator)

Ron Gula
Tenable Network Security